We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

Paging Slow After Sorting

Loading all of the data initially (using an observer/async). Grid pages quickly after we load 60k records into it. After applying a sort the paging becomes extremely slow (takes several seconds/page). Has anybody else ran into this situation/how do you resolve it?

Thanks,
Mike

7 Replies

TS Thavasianand Sankaranarayanan Syncfusion Team July 11, 2019 09:57 AM UTC

Hi Michael, 

Greeting from Syncfusion support. 

We have validated the provided information. By default while binding large amount of data then it take considerable time perform actions. We suggest you to use paging feature to load the data on demand basis. Please refer the below help documentation and sample for more information. 

In the below sample, we have load the data based on the skip and take value you can also use this way to achieve your requirement. 

Please get back to us if you need further assistance on this. 

Regards, 
Thavasianand S. 

ME Michael Eaton July 11, 2019 01:04 PM UTC

Thanks for the reply Thavasianand.

What is confusing is it seems to be fast when not sorted but only slows down after being sorted. Can you explain why it only slows down after the sort?

Thanks,
Mike

TS Thavasianand Sankaranarayanan Syncfusion Team July 15, 2019 11:38 AM UTC

Hi Michael, 

By default, while perform grid actions like sorting, filtering etc.., then we have send request and get result from server and bind it to the Grid so it take time(based on your services) to get data from server and render the cells(60,000*5(columns) = 300000 cells) in grid(with new data) so that we suggest you to use on-demand (paging) loading concept for large data. 

Regards, 
Thavasianand S. 

ME Michael Eaton July 15, 2019 12:58 PM UTC

Thavasianand,

I think you are misunderstanding me. We preload all of the data to the client so it doesn't have to get the data every time an action is preformed. We also have it set to only render 10 rows at a time (not 60000), which is our default page size. The issue isn't with the slowness of our data loading from the server + initial rendering. That works plenty fast for us. Paging is fast, filtering is fast, everything is fast initially. The problem doesn't start until after I perform a sort on data this is already loaded. The data sorts plenty fast but it slows paging way down when I have anything but the default sort. I'm sure your recommendation would work but I'm trying to make sense of the existing behavior.

Thanks,
Mike

SS Seeni Sakthi Kumar Seeni Raj Syncfusion Team July 16, 2019 01:09 PM UTC

Hi Michael, 

By default, Grid will need to maintain the previously performed actions (like sorting, filtering, etc..) after performed the paging. If you were performed sorting before the paging, then (while paging) the Grid will sort its whole datasource again (based on the maintained sort query) and take the records from the newly sorted datasource for the new page (to maintain the sorting). So, this time delay will occur while occur. 

Regards,  
Seeni Sakthi Kumar S. 

ME Michael Eaton July 16, 2019 02:23 PM UTC

Seeni,

Thanks for the explanation, that is what we suspected was occurring.

Mike

SS Sarasilmiya Shahul Hameed Syncfusion Team July 18, 2019 01:16 PM UTC

Hi Michael, 

Thanks for your response.Please get back to us if you need further assistance. 

Regards, 
Sara 

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon