We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

Wizard Control - Rotator vs ListView

Hi,

I have been using the Rotator control as a wizard (you can scroll pages horizontally either with a button or with a swipe). I recently looked at the ListView control and it has a horizontal mode and can therefore be used in a similar fashion.

The ListView looks like a more mature control with more events and it even has commands for MVVM.

Which control will satisfy my needs best:

A wizard control with:

1. Ability to add pages on the fly by handling an OnBeforePageLoad event to insert additional pages at the end.
2. Pages snap in place and don't continually scroll.
3. Can have custom images as place holders in the page picker on the bottom of the screen. This is normally rendered as a row of dots.
4. Supports custom templates per page so each page can be completely different.
5. Supports commands as well as events. I have had to add EventToCommand code to fix this in the Rotator.

My project is a Xamarin Forms project with FreshMVVM. I am using all the latest packages.

Thanks

Mark.

9 Replies

GP Gnana Priya Namasivayam Syncfusion Team December 19, 2018 04:41 PM UTC

Thanks for contacting Syncfusion support. 

We have checked your requirement from our side, can you please share below details.  

S.No 
Query 
Comment 
Ability to add pages on the fly by handling an OnBeforePageLoad event to insert additional pages at the end. 
Can you explain whether you mean to load items as pages in listview at runtime?  
Pages snap in place and don't continually scroll. 
We are not clear with this query. Can you please share more details? 
Can have custom images as place holders in the page picker on the bottom of the screen. This is normally rendered as a row of dots. 
This can be achieved by customizing the image in renderer by loading image only outside the listview because items inside the listview will scroll defaultly.  
Supports custom templates per page so each page can be completely different. 
Different templates can be loaded in listview using template selector. 
Supports commands as well as events. I have had to add EventToCommand code to fix this in the Rotator. 
All types of commands available in listview to achieve your requirement. 

Regards, 
Gnana Priya N 

MA Mark December 20, 2018 07:08 AM UTC

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

Here are the answers to your queries:

1. Can you explain whether you mean to load items as pages in listview at runtime? 
I have a page with radio buttons where a choice has to be made. Depending on your choice I load just the pages that are required for your choice. An OnBeforePageLoad event will allow me to read the choice and load the pages. At the moment I am loading the pages as the radio button is changed. A better way is to capture the swipe in an event and then load the correct pages to continue.

2. We are not clear with this query. Can you please share more details? 
Currently the rotator control snaps the pages in one by one and does not allow continuous scrolling(each page requires one swipe). A list view allows continuous scrolling(multiple list view items are shown per swipe). Can a list view be set to snap list view items one by one? Each list view item will be the size of the page and will ideally mimic the rotators snap behavior.

Thanks

Mark.

GP Gnana Priya Namasivayam Syncfusion Team December 21, 2018 12:36 PM UTC

Hi Mark, 

We have checked the reported requirement from our side. We have added image in horizontal list and radio button below to bring a view a like rotator, can you please confirm whether your requirement is to update each image on screen based on the checked state of radio button (i.e) when button one is clicked, first item in listview will display and remaining button for remaining items. 

Regards, 
Gnana Priya N 

MA Mark January 11, 2019 08:05 AM UTC

Thanks for the project. A fundamental problem I have is that there is no snapping from page to page. This should not be possible:

I had hassles getting your project to build so I fixed it with the latest Nugets. Please use my code going forward.

Can you get the list view to snap?

Thanks

Mark.

Attachment: ListViewAsHorizontalWizard_84ae59b6.zip

SP Subburaj Pandian Veluchamy Syncfusion Team January 14, 2019 12:00 PM UTC

Hi Mark,  

Thank you for the update. 

We have checked the reported query “Need to snap between list items without continual scrolling” from our side. We would like to let you know that you can achieve your requirement through rough workaround using ScrollToRowIndex method. SfListView contains list items but rotator contains collection of pages or Views. So SfListView items will be scrolled continually instead of snapping view entirely. However you can make the ListView to scroll to the particular index or position through ScrollTo or ScrollToRowIndex methods of SfListView. We have modified our sample to scroll to a particular item when tapped the radio button.  

For your reference, we have attached the working sample below and you can download it from the below link:  

Please let us know, if you require further assistance.  

Regards,
Subburaj Pandian V  

MA Mark January 15, 2019 09:39 AM UTC

Thanks for the update. The snapping is not working when you drag to the next page. You have snapping in place when you click the radio buttons. I noticed that this method is empty:

private void ScrollRows_Changed(object sender, Syncfusion.GridCommon.ScrollAxis.ScrollChangedEventArgs e)
        {
        }

Did you intend to add code here?

To summarise: as you drag to the next page it must snap into place so as to prevent a half page showing.

Thanks

Mark.

JN Jayaleshwari N Syncfusion Team January 16, 2019 04:30 PM UTC

Hi Mark,   

We regret to let you know that the reported requirement “Need to snap while scrolling list items” cannot be achieved using SfListView. We have tried for all the possibilities from our end and the workaround clearly affects the default scrolling behavior of SfListView. So, it is not possible to snap across list items while scrolling.   

Regards,   
Jayaleshwari N 

MA Mark January 17, 2019 07:30 AM UTC

Thank you.

SP Subburaj Pandian Veluchamy Syncfusion Team January 18, 2019 06:43 AM UTC

Hi Mark,    

Thank you for the update. Please let us know, if you need any further assistance. 

Regards,
Subburaj Pandian V   

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon