We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

SfMaps Offline with Local Map Files

Does the Xamarin Forms SfMap support loading map files from a local source when the device is offline?  I have access to mbtiles and osm map formats for offline use.

9 Replies

VR Vignesh Ramesh Syncfusion Team October 10, 2019 01:49 PM UTC

Hi Bryan, 

Greetings from Syncfusion. 

We don't have support for the offline map by using the mbtiles file in SfMaps. We currently have support for OSM (default tile layer) and Bing map. This map will be downloaded from the online server and the tiles will be stored in the application cache. Next time, it will be referred from cache whether you are in online or offline. 

Regards, 
Vignesh. 

BS Bryan S replied to Vignesh Ramesh October 10, 2019 01:58 PM UTC

Hi Bryan, 

Greetings from Syncfusion. 

We don't have support for the offline map by using the mbtiles file in SfMaps. We currently have support for OSM (default tile layer) and Bing map. This map will be downloaded from the online server and the tiles will be stored in the application cache. Next time, it will be referred from cache whether you are in online or offline. 

Regards, 
Vignesh. 

Just to be clear, once we download the maps, they will be available after the device restarts even if it is offline?

Thanks

RA Rachel A Syncfusion Team October 11, 2019 10:59 AM UTC

Hi Bryan, 

Thanks for your response. 

As we said in our previous update, the downloaded tile images were stored in the application cache. So, it remains there, until the app gets uninstalled. 

Regards, 
Rachel. 

RD Raul Duque January 26, 2021 12:36 AM UTC

Hi,

I'm looking for open *.osm files and according to your comment, it is not possible.

It is not clear for me what do you refer as application cache where the tiles will be saved.

MK Muneesh Kumar G Syncfusion Team January 26, 2021 12:40 PM UTC

Hi Raul Duque, 

We have analyzed your query and we suspect that you like to use some other online map providers in our SfMaps. You can achieve this by using solution available in below link.  

If your requirement different from this, please give more details about your requirement that will be helpful for us to give better solution in this.  

And would like to clarify that application cache is created in application installed location. Once the data downloaded from server, it will be stored in this location, and then the data will be used from this cache location.  

Thanks,  
Muneesh Kumar G 

RD Raul Duque January 26, 2021 01:03 PM UTC

Thank you Muneesh,

Yes, I want to use OpenStreet provider but my scenario is sometimes the device won't have access to the internet so online maps won't available however, the usage will be limited to a specific zone so the idea is to have the map for usage offline.

Regards,

Raúl

SS Sridevi Sivakumar Syncfusion Team January 27, 2021 07:10 AM UTC

Hi  Raul Duque,

We can show the imagery layer map in offline mode by setting CanCacheTiles property of ImageryLayer as 
true to store tiles in the local cache (application memory). Once the tiles are downloaded from the map provider server, tiles will be rendered from the stored cache

Please refer the below help document link for more information.

https://help.syncfusion.com/xamarin/maps/mapsprovider#cache-a-tile-images-in-application-memory

Regards,

Sridevi S.

RD Raul Duque January 27, 2021 01:47 PM UTC

Thank you Sridevi

SS Sridevi Sivakumar Syncfusion Team January 28, 2021 07:08 AM UTC

Hi Raul Duque,

Thanks for your update.

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

Regards, 
Sridevi S. 

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon