We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

How much offline functionality is possible?

Hi,

I read this thread and was wondering how much functionality would be possible, while an App isnt Connected to a network?
Some of my questions could be stupid or not make sense in this context, but I am still trying to wrap my head around the concept. 
- How much of the functionality could be located on the device itself?
- Could I build an App running allmost exclusively offline, collecting Data, running some calculations and then at critical moments or at the users command upload data to an external server in the web or a network?

Let me give you an example what I am getting at...
Runner App
- collects GPS data on the device
- calculates the distance the user ran
- calculates the calories used
-
- when the user stops for more then 1 min gives a sound and if a certain action isn't taken a prewritten message is sent to some server or person.
It is assumed the device isn't connected to any kind of network until it tries to send the messsage( GPS connection excluded).

Would something like that be possible?

Thanks in advance :)

2 Replies

AK Andreas Köhnle June 27, 2013 09:13 AM UTC

I forgot..

The App should also be able to save the routes the user ran and at some later point, possibly after restarting the device and cleaning his html5 cache, upload them to some server

SS Sahaya Sweetlin Ponmalar P Syncfusion Team June 28, 2013 01:00 PM UTC

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for your interest in Syncfusion products.

We suspect that we could not get the current GPS location when the device is not connected to the network.

We can write the current GPS location using File API while device is connected. We can read the previous GPS location from File API when the device is in Offline mode and we can calculate the distance and the calories used.

When the device is connected to the network we can send the data to the server using Ajax post or using WebService.

Please refer the below documentation for “How to use File API  and GPS Location API with Orubase

File API: http://help.syncfusion.com/UG/orubase/Documents/filestorage.htm

GPS Location: http://help.syncfusion.com/UG/orubase/Documents/locationdetails.htm

Please let us know if you have any queries

Regards,

Ponmalar P

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon