We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Tooltip on docked controls

Hello, Is there a way to have some tooltips showing up on docked controls (using the docking manager) like they are with the TabbedMdiManager with the different forms ? I have tried to set a tooltip on the controls but it doesn''t seem to show up. Thanks, Denis.

11 Replies

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team January 8, 2004 08:31 PM UTC

Hi Denis, Thanks for your feedback. The tooltip feature is presently not supported by our docking windows framework. We have an open QA report (QA# 128) in this regard, and I have updated this on your behalf thereby upping its priority. We will try our best to implement this feature at the earliest and incorporate it in our future releases. We appreciate your patience, and thanks for considering Syncfusion products. Regards, Guru Patwal Syncfusion, Inc.

SC Scott April 15, 2004 07:18 AM UTC

Hi Guru, This feature is greatly needed. Displaying all the text to an end-user to make a tab user-friendly is often impossible while keeping the tabs to an intelligent size. It is something I''ve been looking for in a docking window framework. Best regards, Scott.

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team April 15, 2004 03:04 PM UTC

Hi Scott, I have upped the priority of the QA report and have also conveyed your message to the development team. We will try our best to address this at the earliest. Meanwhile, you could use the following workaround. Instead of setting the ToolTip to the docked control itself, set it to its DockHost in the NewDockStateEndLoad event handler as shown below : DockHost dhost = this.panel1.Parent as DockHost; this.toolTip1.SetToolTip(dhost, "docked panel"); Now when you hover the mouse over the docking window''s caption, the TooTip gets displayed. Let me know if this works for you. Regards, Guru Patwal Syncfusion, Inc.

SC Scott April 16, 2004 09:56 AM UTC

Hi Guru, I''m having trouble making this work in VB.Net. It doesn''t seem to like the dhost variable in the settooltip syntax. But even it does work will this only show the tooltip when hovering over the window''s caption rather than the tab? Best regards, Scott.

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team April 16, 2004 05:38 PM UTC

Hi Scott, Thanks for the update. I have modified my sample as per your requirements. This code is in VB.Net and the ToolTip is now displayed when the mouse pointer hovers over any part of the docked window and not just the caption. Please refer to the sample_attached and let me know if this works for you. We appreciate your interest in Syncfusion products. Regards, Guru Patwal Syncfusion, Inc.

SC Scott April 16, 2004 11:17 PM UTC

Hi Guru, Thanks for the updated sample. It does work but unfortunately prevents a developer from using tooltips on any control embedded within the dock window. Generally there would be enough space to apply a longer caption to the dock window "Title bar". The problem is if there are quite a few tabbed dock windows and I only want to display an image for each tab. Under these circumstances it is best to show a text tooltip when ONLY hovering over the tab. Best regards, Scott.

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team April 20, 2004 02:16 AM UTC

Hi Scott, Presently it is not possible to have a ToolTip for the tab of a auto-hidden docking window. I have updated the above QA report in this regard, and this too has been considered as a part of this feature request. However, you could modify my earlier sample to display a ToolTip only when the mouse hovers over the caption of a docked window, and not when it hovers over the client area of the docking window (refer to modified sample attached here). We appreciate your cooperation, and thanks for considering Syncfusion products. Regards, Guru Patwal Syncfusion, Inc.

DM damien morton May 12, 2004 05:38 PM UTC

Hello, We are also encountering problems with tooltips on components placed on docking panels. has there been any progress with this issue? Does the final release 2.0.5.0 contain a fix for this issue? Regards, Damien Morton

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team May 12, 2004 09:52 PM UTC

Hi Damien, I am afraid, our latest release v2.0.5.1 does not include this feature. Like I mentioned before we do have an open QA report on this, and though I am unable to promise you any turnaround time, rest assured, we will try our very best to accomodate your request in a timely manner. We appreciate your patience and cooperation on this issue. Regards, Guru Patwal Syncfusion, Inc.

KE Kestutis January 14, 2020 06:26 PM UTC

Is it finally possible to have tooltip on tab docked as document 16 years later?

HB Hari Balakrishnan Boobalan Syncfusion Team January 17, 2020 12:57 PM UTC

Hi Kestutis, 

Currently we are not having support to show tooltip on docked tab. We will consider this as a feature request and this support will be provided in any of the upcoming release. Please find the feedback link for the same: 

Regards, 
Hari Balakrishnan Boobalan. 

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon