We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Auto-scroll bars

I don't seem able to activate auto-scroll bars on the edit control - i.e. when text goes outside of viewable area, vertical or horizontal scroll bars appear as appropriate. Is this possible with the edit control, and if so how do I do it? Many thanks, Charlie

9 Replies

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team November 25, 2003 09:39 PM UTC

Hi Charlie, Please set the EditControl's AutoScroll property to true. This should activate the ScrollBars and they will appear as and when they are required. Please refer to the sample attached which illustrates this. Initially when the application is loaded, the ScrollBars are not present. Please right click on the EditControl and open the text file EditTest in the project folder. Now the ScrollBars are displayed since the text in the EditControl go beyond its visible boundaries. If you are using an earlier version of Essential Edit (earlier than version 1.6.1.8), please open an incident in DirectTrac in this regard and we will send you the download instructions for our latest release. Please let me know if you need any other information, and thanks for choosing Syncfusion products. Regards, Guru Patwal Syncfusion, Inc.

CS Charles Skelton November 26, 2003 06:34 AM UTC

I downloaded and installed 70MB patch from 1.6.1.0 to 1.6.1.8, downloaded your sample, rebooted, rebuilt and still have the same problem. I've attached 2 screen shots - I'm running NT4.0. Any idea what's wrong here? Many thanks, Charlie

GP Gurucharan Patwal Syncfusion Team November 26, 2003 06:11 PM UTC

Hi Charlie, Thanks for the update. I have tested the exe of this application on a Windows NT 4.0 machine and the ScrollBars worked fine there. Please refer to the screenshots attached :Scree_Shots Note that the EditControl has no ScrollBars before opening any file. The ScrollBars are visible in the second image where the EditTest file is opened in the EditControl. Please make sure that the version 1.6.1.8 dlls are present in the GAC, and you could use the Assembly Manager tool for this purpose. Select v1.6.1.8 from the Assembly Manager''s comboBox dropdown list (in case you have more than one version of Syncfusion dlls installed on your machine) and click ok. This will link your application to the 1.6.1.8 dlls. I have informed the Essential Edit development team about this problem, and will keep you posted on the developments. In the meantime, please feel free to send us any information that might help us resolve this issue. Thanks for your patience and cooperation. Regards, Guru Patwal Syncfusion, Inc.

CS Charles Skelton November 26, 2003 06:43 PM UTC

Your screen shots show the problem exactly - the scroll bars ARE present in both pictures. I only want scroll bars to appear if there is sufficient text to require them. I think you do not understand what I mean. regards, Charlie

CS Charles Skelton November 26, 2003 06:46 PM UTC

I just found in another posting from today - how do i use this text change event? Our controls presently do not support AutoScroll property. However we could implement this as a low priority feature request. You might also want to look at .NET forums/groups like www.codeproject.com, where you might suggestions/code to implement this feature if you feel that handling TextChange event is not the right approach. Thank you. .

GP Gurucharan Patwal Syncfusion Team November 26, 2003 07:12 PM UTC

Hi Charlie, Sorry for having not understood your requirements correctly. I understand that the scroll area is visible always, but if you observe my screenshots carefully, you will find that the actual "ScrollBar" itself appears only when needed. But if you do not wish to display the scroll area itself when the ScrollBar is not required, this is not possible in the present architecture of Essential Edit. We could consider this as a feature request for a future release of Essential Edit. We appreciate your feedback on this issue. Regards, Guru Patwal Syncfusion, Inc.

GP Gurucharan Patwal Syncfusion Team November 26, 2003 07:43 PM UTC

Hi Charlie, We have considered this as a feature request and have logged a QA report (QA# 351) in this regard. Also, your request in the following forum post has been considered in this QA : http://www.syncfusion.com/Support/Forums/message.aspx?MessageID=8917 We will try our very best to implement these at the earliest and incorporate these features in our future releases. We appreciate your patience. Regards, Guru Patwal Syncfusion, Inc.

CS Charles Skelton November 26, 2003 07:47 PM UTC

Hi Guru, It's a shame it's not supported. The text files that my users are editing are usually only a few lines, and when other areas of the application are used with other data from my application it seems a waste of space to have scroll areas used if they are not needed. I'd really appreciate that functionality being added, and I think it would make essential edit an even better product. Many thanks, Charlie

GP Gurucharan Patwal Syncfusion Team November 26, 2003 07:48 PM UTC

Hi Charlie, Please see my response above in this regard. Thanks for choosing Syncfusion products. Regards, Guru Patwal Syncfusion, Inc.

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon