We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

excelEngine Value update issue

I have a excel template file with formula. I open this template and update values. I save the file. I open the saved file and when I try to read the values, it doesn't give me the updated values. It gives the value in template.

I am sure that the values are updated. When I open the excel file I can see the updated values. I tried opening the file with Excel object i.e using Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.
Its works fine.

But when I again use the syncfusion ExcelEngine I have this issue.

Did anyone face this issue. I am not sure if I am missing something. I tried creating and new object and still the same issue.

Hope some can help me with this issue.

14 Replies

GM Geetha M Syncfusion Team January 20, 2009 10:56 AM UTC

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Syncfusion products.

If you expect the computed formula values to be returned using Essential XlsIO, then it is not possible. Essential XlsIO does not provide support to evaluate formula. It can be done only by making use of Calculate Engine (Essential Calculate). Please go through the sample in the location given below (that ships with product install):

My Documents\Syncfusion\EssentialStudio\6.4.0.15\Web\xlsio.web\Samples\2.0\Data Management\ComputeAllFormulas\

You can also check our online samples in the link below:
http://samples.syncfusion.com/ASPNET/7.1.0.21/Web/xlsio.web/samples/3.5/Data%20Management/ComputeAllFormulas/CS/XlsIOCalcEngine.aspx

If you still able to see the issue, please try to modify the above sample and send back to me so that I could recreate and find the cause of the problem.

Regards,
Geetha

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team January 20, 2009 05:36 PM UTC

I tried it but doesn't give me an updated value. I am using an Add-In. I am not sure if it has to do something with that.

When I use excel object its works fine.

Once again what I do is update a file with formulas and save it. Open it again and try to read the values.

Thanks!

>Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Syncfusion products.

If you expect the computed formula values to be returned using Essential XlsIO, then it is not possible. Essential XlsIO does not provide support to evaluate formula. It can be done only by making use of Calculate Engine (Essential Calculate). Please go through the sample in the location given below (that ships with product install):

My Documents\Syncfusion\EssentialStudio\6.4.0.15\Web\xlsio.web\Samples\2.0\Data Management\ComputeAllFormulas\

You can also check our online samples in the link below:
http://samples.syncfusion.com/ASPNET/7.1.0.21/Web/xlsio.web/samples/3.5/Data%20Management/ComputeAllFormulas/CS/XlsIOCalcEngine.aspx

If you still able to see the issue, please try to modify the above sample and send back to me so that I could recreate and find the cause of the problem.

Regards,
Geetha

GM Geetha M Syncfusion Team January 21, 2009 11:36 AM UTC

Hi,

Could you please modify the above sample so that I could recreate and find the cause of the problem? Also please let me know the name of the Add-in you use.

Regards,
Geetha

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team January 21, 2009 03:25 PM UTC

The Add-In I am using is xlxtrfun. I want to use the spline function.

As for code I am using the same way it is in the Sample code. I am getting some data from database and then I update the excel file. Then I save it and try to read the values from other columns which has formulas in it.

If you need any other information then let me know.

Thanks!

GM Geetha M Syncfusion Team January 22, 2009 12:35 PM UTC

Hi,

Thank you for the details.

I am working on creating a test sample and will update you tomorrow.

Regards,
Geetha

GM Geetha M Syncfusion Team January 23, 2009 10:55 AM UTC

Hi,

It is possible to use add-in's with Essential XlsIO.

Please refer to our documentation in the below link:

http://help.syncfusion.com/UG/Reporting/XlsIO/ASP.NET/Documents/addins.htm

Could you please send us the code snippet you are currently working with and give us more details about what you expect to get as output?

Regards,
Geetha

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team January 23, 2009 05:06 PM UTC

I have a excel sheet with the Add-In already added in to it and there many cells which is using the function from this Add-In. These values change when I update few others cells in the same sheet.
Basically this is my template for some complex calculations I have to do. I need to update the values and read the updated values and then store in the database.

So now I update the file and then save a copy of the updated file. Then I want to read the updated values from the saved file. I am having problem in reading these values as they don't give me the updated values but the formula in the cell.
This works fine if I use simple Excel in build formulas. But issue is when I use formulas from Add-In.
The article you gave tells how to add and add-in and use the add-in function. In my case its bit different that I just need to update few cells and save the file with current date stamp and then read values that saved file.
Hope its makes clear as to what I want to achieve. It will be good if you can try with an Add-In and try it.

If I am missing something then let me know. If you are not clear then I can create a small project of what I am trying to do and send it to you.

Thanks!

T Thompson

GM Geetha M Syncfusion Team January 27, 2009 11:40 AM UTC

Hi Thompson,

Thank you for the update.

I am working on creating a sample and will get back to you tomorrow.

Regards,
Geetha

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team February 4, 2009 04:50 PM UTC

Any Luck with it. Can you confirm if it can be done or cannot be done using Syncfusion. If it cannot be done then we can look for some other way to do this.

Thanks!

GM Geetha M Syncfusion Team February 5, 2009 12:02 PM UTC

Hi Thompson,

I regret for the delay.

I am still working on creating a sample and will get back to you tomorrow.

Regards,
Geetha

GM Geetha M Syncfusion Team February 6, 2009 12:32 PM UTC

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for your patience.

If you are trying to calculate and read the updated values of the formulas referred from Add-In using Essential XlsIO and Calculate, then I regret to let you know that currently it is not possible. We have logged a feature request on this regard and will let you know once it is implemented.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Geetha

SR Suranga R July 18, 2018 07:39 PM UTC

Hi,

Is the feature implemented that Thompson was looking for?
Documentation is same as Thompson has described and looks like feature is not implemented or documentation is not updated.

Thanks!

PK Prakash Kumar D Syncfusion Team July 20, 2018 09:25 AM UTC

Hi Suranga, 

Thank you for contacting Syncfusion support. 

In XlsIO, we only have support for adding and creating the custom Add-In functions. However, you can use CalcEngine.ParseAndComputeFormula(string formula) method to get calculated value of a formula using custom function. We have shared a sample for your reference which can be downloaded from the following link.  

Please try this and let us know if it helps.  

Note: This custom function will not work in Excel document.  

Regards, 
Prakash Kumar 

LA Lucky Anderson October 25, 2018 07:39 PM UTC

I am also facing some error code issue while doing work on MS Excel. I have never experienced this error code 0xc004f074 before. Have anyone faced this issue with Microsoft office? If anyone knows the solution then kindly inform me. It will be very kind of you. 

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon