We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

Customizing main Menu

Hi Syncfusion Team,

I have a problem with Customization of main menu in my application.
I load a structure of menu for XML (dynamically create menu), and populate the Categories and Items in MainFrameBarManager by myself (there is one category "Commands", and bellow are all items).

Until this point everything is ok, but when I want to change the menu using the CustomizationDialog - I can't. I see the drag & drop cursors, there are as they should be, but when I drop the item the menu is unchanged.

Strange about this is that when during customization I select item with right click, and then select "Begin Group" from popmenu - all this issues disapper, and I can normally customize my menu with CustomizationDialog.
Doing the same thing in my code, on event CustomizationBegin, doesn't work.

I now this description of the problem is very little without source code, but I'am counting on your help to solve this.

Regards,
Luke

7 Replies

FS Fathima Shalini P Syncfusion Team November 17, 2008 06:55 AM UTC

Hi Luke,

Thank you for your interest in Syncfusion Products.

I tested the issue with the simple sample inwhich I have created a new baritems and bar at run time and tried to drag and drop. I am afraid that I was not able to reproduce the above mentioned issue. Please refer to the below sample and the videoclip that illustrates this:

Sample:

http://websamples.syncfusion.com/samples/Tools.Windows/F77746/main.htm

Video Clip:

http://websamples.syncfusion.com/samples/Tools.Windows/F77746/VideoReference.zip

Please try with the above sample, if the issue exists, could you please let me know the version you use and your system configuration details so that I could sort out the cause of the issue and provide you a better solution at the earliest?

Please let me know if any concerns.

Regards,
Fathima

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team November 17, 2008 10:35 AM UTC

Hi Fathima,

Thank you for quick response.

I have studied example your provided me - but it doesn't suits my problem. Structure of the menu will be stored in XML file, I don't know how many items it will be, so first of all I can't create a unique variable to store it. In my case it's Tree container in which I store items that appear in menu.
Second thing, I want to add my items (that almost never appear in menu) to CustomizationDialog - and only them (or show only them).

I'm using Syncfusion 6.2.0.40 with Visual Studio 2008, on Windows Xp Professional SP3, with default language Polish.

I have some time to prepare my example of solution i want to achieve - but it's working even more poorly than original - to be short, it crasches. I also sending two video clips, one with example app and the original app.

Mayby you will be able of finding what I'm doing wrong - I have read all the topics in forum and knowledge base, but I can't find right solution for me.

Once again I'm very thankful for you help and time you spend trying to solve this problem.

Please, let me know if you have any idea on this.

Regards,
Luke

response_78a6c732.zip

FS Fathima Shalini P Syncfusion Team November 18, 2008 07:29 AM UTC

Hi Luke,

Thank you for your update.

Actually the issue is raised because in the sample you are clearing the categories and items in the MainFrameBarManager to display items only in the toolbar and not in Customizing Dialog. So since the items are not in MainFrameBarManager it is not possible to add new baritems at runtime in it. With our current behaviour, if we need not to have a baritem to be customized, we can set the customizable property to false. This will hide the baritem from toolbar and also in Customization Dialog when the customization dialog is opened. So it is not possible to hide the BarItem in customization dialog and to enable customization using it.

Please let me know if any concerns.

Regards,
Fathima

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team November 18, 2008 10:42 AM UTC

Hi Fathima,

I see.

Ok I find the solution, I add all BarItems and ParentBarItems from XML to MainFrameBarManager, like it is in all tutorials. But I clean Categories of Manager, and add my own Category with my (Parent)BarItems. I don't know why, but this is working fine - almost.
The issue now is that I can't add a item to empty ParentBarItem, after I try to do this, all customization is disabled (I still see the drag&drop cursors), I can return the customization by doing the trick with "Begin A group" .
The ability to add a BarItem to empty ParentBarItem (I mean ParentBarItem with no Items) is esential for creating menu from scratch. I'm sending you upgraded example I sent last time.
First run it as is, and try to add a group, and command to that (empty) group - nothing hapens, try add command to another ParentBarItem (with items) - and also nothing hapens, but if you do trick with "Begin A group", you will be able to add command to ParentBarItem with items (but not to ParentBarItem without items).
After yours test, try uncomment the line where manager categories are cleared. I'm wasn't able to customize menu that way, no BarItem is accepting drop.

I know you wrote me to not clear Categiories, but if I not do this I can't edit the menu.
Is this is becouse I add items to Manager, that aren't in menu?

Please wrote if you have any idea on this, a trick to hack it, everything.

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards,
Luke

ExampleForSyncfusion_97f8c950.zip

FS Fathima Shalini P Syncfusion Team November 19, 2008 06:49 AM UTC

Hi Luke,

Thank you for the sample.

I could reproduce the mentioned issue with 6.2.0.40. We are glad to inform you that the above issue has been fixed internally and the fix for these issues is available in our latest Essential Studio Volume 4. Please refer to the below videoclip that illustrates this:

http://websamples.syncfusion.com/samples/Tools.Windows/F77746_1/VideoReference.zip

I would recommend you to upgrade to the latest version.You can refer the below thread for download details.

http://www.syncfusion.com/support/forums/message.aspx?MessageID=77235

Please let me know if this helps you.

Regards,
Fathima

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team November 20, 2008 02:40 PM UTC

Hi Fathima,

Thank you for your time and help. Upgrade to next version of Syncfusion, solved problems I have described earlier.

Regards,
Luke

FS Fathima Shalini P Syncfusion Team December 8, 2008 05:32 AM UTC

Hi Luke,

We are glad to hear the issue has been resolved at your end. Thank you for choosing Syncfusion products.

Regards,
Fathima

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon