We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

Row Selection Bound to Checkboxes

Hello,

Using 'TableOptions.ListBoxSelectionMode = SelectionMode.MultiSimple' provides very good built in functionality. I just want to modify this slightly:

- The built-in selection behavior is such that the user clicks anywhere on a row to select it, and selection is displayed by highlighting the row.

- I want to use a column of checkboxes for row multi-row selection: The user would select a row via it's cooresponding checkbox. The row would not be highlighted after selection, rather the checkbox is used as a visual indicator that the row has been selected.

Currently, I have a databound gridgrouping control with an unbound column of checkboxes. How do I "hook them up" to the default selection behavior? Or, Is there an easier way to add row selection checkboxes to the grid?

this.GridGroupingControl1.TableDescriptor.UnboundFields.Add("Selection");
this.GridGroupingControl1.TableDescriptor.VisibleColumns.Move(this.GridGroupingControl1.TableDescriptor.VisibleColumns.IndexOf("Selection"), 0);
this.GridGroupingControl1.TableDescriptor.VisibleColumns.Add("Selection");
var chkBox = new CheckBox();
var template = new CustomItemTemplate();
template.AddControl(chkBox);
this.GridGroupingControl1.TableDescriptor.Columns.FindByMappingName("Selection").ItemTemplate = template;

Thanks,
Robert Claypool, Nashville, TN

8 Replies

RS Rajarajeswari S Syncfusion Team June 18, 2008 06:12 PM UTC

Hi Robert,

Thanks for using Syncfusion products.

You can easily achieve your requirement through "RowBtnTemplate". The control which is place dinside the template, will before on each and every row. If we place the Checkbox inside the template and set the ListBoxSelectionMode property to MuliSelect, then by clicking on the checkbox will select the row accordingly.

Please refe the below code snippet which illustartes this:

$TableDescriptor AllowNew="False" AllowFilter="False">
$RowBtnTemplate>
$asp:CheckBox ID="cbRowBtnTemplate" runat="server" OnCheckedChanged="cbRowBtnTemplate_CheckedChanged"
onclick="CheckAll(this);" AutoPostBack="true">
$/asp:CheckBox>
$/RowBtnTemplate>

Note:

Here "$" is used instead of "<".

Please refer the sample from the below link which illustrates the above:

http://websamples.syncfusion.com/samples/Grid.Web/6.2.0.40/Grid_Web_CheckboxTemp/main.htm

Please let me know if this helps you out.

Regards,
Raji

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team June 20, 2008 01:26 PM UTC

Thank you for your timely response. The example was very helpful.

I have just a few follow up questions:
- How might I remove the top checkbox that executes CheckAll()?
- I noticed that the example does not work in FireFox 3.0. Do you know when the components will be updated to fix that?

Sincerely, RC

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team June 20, 2008 09:27 PM UTC

Please use the following code to hide the checkbox in the header,

this.GridGroupingControl1.QueryCellStyleInfo += delegate(object sender, GridTableCellStyleInfoEventArgs args)
{
if ( e.Style.CellType == "RowHeaderCell" )
{
if ( e.TableCellIdentity.ColIndex == 0 && e.TableCellIdentity.RowIndex == 1 )
e.Style.CellType = "Static";
}
};

The Style event would change the type for the first cell that is shown in the column header and thus removing the template from it.

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team June 20, 2008 09:39 PM UTC

this.GridGroupingControl1.QueryCellStyleInfo += delegate(object sender, GridTableCellStyleInfoEventArgs args)
{
if (args.Style.CellType == "RowHeaderCell")
{
if (args.TableCellIdentity.ColIndex == 0 && args.TableCellIdentity.RowIndex == 2)
args.Style.CellType = "Static";
}
};

RS Rajarajeswari S Syncfusion Team June 23, 2008 06:03 PM UTC

Hi Robert,

1.How might I remove the top checkbox that executes CheckAll()?

Through QueryCellStyleInfo event we can filter the Grid cells according to the cell type, and we can have the CheckBox for a particular cells. Please refer the below code snippet which illustrates this:

protected void GridGroupingControl1_QueryCellStyleInfo(object sender, GridTableCellStyleInfoEventArgs e)
{
//Look for the RecordField and AlternateField Cell.
if (e.TableCellIdentity.TableCellType == GridTableCellType.RecordFieldCell || e.TableCellIdentity.TableCellType == GridTableCellType.AlternateRecordFieldCell)
{

System.Web.UI.WebControls.CheckBox cb = new CheckBox();
cb.ID = "CheckBox1";
cb.Checked = true;
//Here we adding the DropDownListBox programatically using ITemplate Interface
TemplateClass mytemp = new TemplateClass(cb);
this.GridGroupingControl1.TableDescriptor.RowBtnTemplate = mytemp;
}
}

Please refer the sample from the below link which illustartes the above:

http://websamples.syncfusion.com/samples/Grid.Web/6.2.0.40/Grid_Web_ChTemp/main.htm

2. Support in FireFox 3.0

We have no plans on providing support for FireFox 3.0.

Please let me know if you have any other concerns.

Regards,
Raji

CG Carlos Guanes October 29, 2009 04:47 PM UTC

using your previous sample
http://websamples.syncfusion.com/samples/Grid.Web/6.2.0.40/Grid_Web_CheckboxTemp/main.htm

How can I map that column to datacolumn?

right now I have under my columns definition:
AllowDropDownCell="False" AllowGroupByColumn="False" AllowSort="False">

OnCheckedChanged="tosend_CheckedChanged"
Checked="<%# GetChkBoxSendValue(Container) %>" AutoPostBack="True" />

CheckBoxOptions-UncheckedValue="0" />

and what I'm trying to do is to add at the column title a check box, so the user can click there to autocheck all records or do it one per one....

Thanks

Carlos

LN Lakshmi Narasimman G Syncfusion Team December 2, 2009 03:23 PM UTC

Hi Carlos,

Thank you for your interest in Syncfusion Products.

We suggest you to use javascript to customize the header row checkbox to check CheckBox in all rows.Please refer online demo from the follwing link

http://samples.syncfusion.com/ASPNET/7.4.0.20/Web/Grid.Grouping.Web/samples/3.5/Template/CheckedTemplate/cs/checkboxtemplate.aspx?args=12

Thanks,
Lakshmi Narasimman G

MR Mohammad Rafiq February 11, 2010 12:33 PM UTC

Is it Possible to do Windows forms?.
i need some sample code to select all checkbox in grid databound control.

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon