We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

AddKeyWord

Here is my situation: - I am switching between C-sharp source files, changing the Text in the edit control to the new source file. - When I do switch to a new source file I need to add a new set of keywords to my custom key word group. - I do this with the follwing code: // remove old keywords here ArrayList keywords = editControlEvaluation.GetKeywordList("EvalName"); foreach (string strKeyword in keywords) { editControlEvaluation.RemoveKeyword(strKeyword); } // add new keywords foreach (StoredEvaluation se in ps.StoredEvaluations) { editControlEvaluation.AddKeyword(se.Name, "EvalName"); } The problem is that this noticably slow. I have to set a wait cursor which the user will be staring at for 3 to 5 seconds on a 2GHZ pentium machine. There are only about 20 or so evaluation names (the key words) that I am removing/adding. I'm wondering why this takes so long and what I might be able to do to speed things up. Thanks in advance for any help you have to offer. -Mike

11 Replies

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team August 19, 2003 03:08 PM UTC

Hi Mike, We are unable to provide a specific reason for this problem. One of the possible reasons could be the data for the adding - what exactly is being retrieved in the loop. Please elaborate on this. Just using an arraylist - the removal/adding of 100 keywords takes no noticable time. Thanks for your cooperation. Regards, Guru Patwal.

MJ Mike J. Keating August 19, 2003 10:42 PM UTC

I'm attaching a sample for you. I hope this helps clear things up. Thanks. -Mike

MJ Mike J. Keating August 21, 2003 03:09 PM UTC

If you take a look at my example, you can see that the container has nothing to do with the slowness. If I comment out the "AddKeyWord" and "RemoveKeyWord" calls in my production code, there is no delay. I'm wonder if it has something to do with the way the editor is initially setup. Anyway, thanks for taking a look at this. Regards, -Mike

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team August 21, 2003 06:11 PM UTC

Hi Michael, This is because the EditControl "refreshes" it's internal data structures for each Add and Remove keywords call. Looks like a "suspend refresh" property will be of a big help in the EditControl. We will add such a property in our next version. Regards, Guru Patwal.

MJ Mike J. Keating August 21, 2003 07:44 PM UTC

May I suggest you provide a public method like: EditControl.SetKeywordGroup(StringCollection keywords, string groupName); Also, I read in an earlier post that you are currently re-writing the edit control. Is there estimated delivery date? Thanks again for your attention. -Mike

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team August 22, 2003 11:43 AM UTC

Hi Michael, I have forwarded your suggestion to the development team and will get back to you with more information on this soon. The delivery time is estimated to be a minimum of 12 weeks from now. When this is released, all owners of Essential Edit will be given the update. Thanks for your cooperation. Regards, Guru Patwal.

MJ Mike J. Keating July 2, 2004 04:12 PM UTC

Was this issue ever addressed in version 2.0? We could really use a fix for this... Thanks, -Mike >Hi Michael, > >I have forwarded your suggestion to the development team and will get back to you with more information on this soon. > >The delivery time is estimated to be a minimum of 12 weeks from now. When this is released, all owners of Essential Edit will be given the update. > >Thanks for your cooperation. > >Regards, >Guru Patwal.

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team July 9, 2004 06:21 PM UTC

Hi Mike As you may be aware, we are working on a newer version of Essential Edit and I will follow up with the Essential Edit team on this feature. Sorry for the inconvenience and I will update this posting as more information becomes available. Regards Arun

AN Anonymous December 7, 2004 06:25 PM UTC

Has this been addressed for 3.0? It''s been a while now...

MJ Mike J. Keating December 7, 2004 06:29 PM UTC

I''m ''Anonymous'' by the way... Thanks for your attention in this matter. It would make the edit control much nicer in our application if the lengthy pausing between between these keyword changes was eliminated. Regards, -Mike >Has this been addressed for 3.0? It''s been a while now...

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team December 13, 2004 08:05 PM UTC

Hi Mike, The newer version of Essential Edit is available as part of the 3.0 release candidate. This is a totally new product that has been written from scratch. This version is Object Oriented while the older version was monolithic with control level properties for most settings. Users who are starting on newer projects or require opening large files and automatic outlining should use the newer version. We hope to have Intellisense support wrapped up and we are also working on a transition guide and you should hold off on moving existing projects until we ship the final version of Essential Edit. With reference to your question, I will follow up with the Essential Edit team and update this post as soon as more information becomes available. As I mentioned, they are still working on wrapping up the product for the 3.0 release. Kindly send an email to salessupport@syncfusion.com to obtain the newer version. Regards Arun

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon