We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

Numeric TextBoxes and NullString

We are currently using several of the numeric textboxes in conjunction with the NullString to display a '-' when the value is empty or zero.

We have a new requirement that null's should be handled differently from zeros. How can I change what value the textbox retains when the value is deleted? I would like to treat Double.MinValue (or some other large negative number) as the value set to DoubleValue when the control is emptied.

thanks

7 Replies

GS Gopalakrishnan S Syncfusion Team December 22, 2006 06:47 PM UTC

Hi Josh,

Thanks for using Syncfusion products.

You could use KeyUp event of textbox for handling value of the textbox.

Here is code snippet:

private void integerTextBox1_KeyUp(object sender, System.Windows.Forms.KeyEventArgs e)
{
if(e.KeyData==Keys.D0 && integerTextBox1.Text=="")
{
integerTextBox1.UseNullString=false;
integerTextBox1.Text="0";
}
else
integerTextBox1.UseNullString=true;
}

Sample.zip

Please let me know if this helps.

Best Regards,
S.Gopal.

JC Josh Collins December 26, 2006 03:06 PM UTC

This doesn't accomplish what I'm looking for. Using the sample you attached. If I change the NullString = "-" in the Form1_Load then if I hit a zero then it remains a hyphen.

GS Gopalakrishnan S Syncfusion Team December 26, 2006 03:51 PM UTC

Hi Josh,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. Please change the condition statement in the keyUp event .
Here is the code snippet:
private void integerTextBox1_KeyUp(object sender, System.Windows.Forms.KeyEventArgs e)
{
if(e.KeyData==Keys.D0 && integerTextBox1.Text=="-")
{

}
}

Please let me know if this works.
Thanks,
S.Gopal.

JC Josh Collins December 27, 2006 08:22 PM UTC

There is still a problem that if you hit a zero in the box when UseNullString = true then the null string is immediately displayed rather than 0.0.

GS Gopalakrishnan S Syncfusion Team December 29, 2006 12:36 AM UTC

Hi Josh,

We regret for the inconvenience caused. I am afraid, we were not able to reproduce the issue. Have you reproduced the issue using the sample.zip? Are you using different sample for this issue? Please send me the sample having the issue and with reproducing steps. This will help us to resolve the issue soon.

Sample.zip

Thanks,
S.Gopal.

JC Josh Collins December 29, 2006 01:15 PM UTC

Yes, I can recreate it with your sample. Steps to recreate:
- Enter a value in one of the boxes.
- Then select all in the box and hit delete. '-' is now displayed.
- Then hit zero to enter a zero. It remains '-'.

I am using 4.1.0.58.

GS Gopalakrishnan S Syncfusion Team January 3, 2007 02:36 AM UTC

Hi Josh,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I have tested this issue with v4.1.0.58. But still I am not able to reproduce this issue. Here it works fine. I have also attached the video file that shows the execution.

Textbox_video.zip

Please let me know if I understand your requirement properly.

Thanks,
S.Gopal.

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon