We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

EnableEdit in GridDataBoundGrid not working as expected?

The description of EnableEdit is: A value indicating if the grids supports editing records if the underlying datasource allows it.

So what do I expect:
If I set EnableEdit to false, one should not be able to change values from EXISTING records!

What happens:
I cannot change values from existing records, but if I add a new record in the grid (I''m on the last record and just go one down so that I get a new empty record), I am not able to input any values at all in that new record?? How can this supposed to be working like this? This is not what the description says, since a new records is not yet a record in the underlying datasource yet!

Question: How can I make sure people cannot alter fields of existing records but are still able to add new records in a GridDataBoundGrid?

2 Replies

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team September 29, 2006 10:09 AM UTC

Hi Filip,

This can be acheived by handling the CurrentCellStartEditing event and set the EnableEdit property to TRUE when the AddNewRecord is activated. Below a code snippet

private void grid_CurrentCellStartEditing(object sender, CancelEventArgs e)
{
GridDataBoundGrid grid = sender as GridDataBoundGrid;
if( grid.Binder.IsAddNew || grid.Binder.IsAppendRow)
{
grid.EnableEdit = true;
}
else
grid.EnableEdit = false;
}

Sample : http://www.syncfusion.com/Support/user/uploads/GDBGEnableEdit_50b6900a.zip

Let me know if you trying something different.

Best Regards,
Haneef

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team September 29, 2006 11:00 AM UTC

Thank you for your quick response,
I had found another way to achieve this
using the code and examples from http://www.syncfusion.com/support/forums/message.aspx?MessageID=20985

but I will try your solution too because it looks more elegant!

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon