We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

Printing

Hi

I''m successfully creating word documents on our server using ASP.Net and DocIO. Now I need to be able to print those documents automatically (ie as they''re created they''re printed). I''ve looked in your support forums and tried the code there, and while it runs without error the document isn''t printing anywhere. My suspicion is that it''s aimed at Windows Forms rather then Web Forms. Could you provide a better example of printing via ASP.Net using DocIO? Also the online documentation doesn''t include any entry for the Syncfusion.DLS.Rendering name space.

Norman

6 Replies

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team October 2, 2006 09:28 AM UTC

Hi Norman,

Sorry for delay in getting back to you.

It is not possible to print the word document directly through ASP.NET application using Syncfusion.DLS.Rendering namespace. However, it is possible to print the word document by Windows forms application using Syncfusion.DLS.Rendering.DLSViewer class. The DLSViewer class helps us to view and also print the word document without using MS Word. I have created a small windows form application to illustrate this functionality. Please take a look at this attached sample and let me know if it meets your need.

Also, DLSViewer is still under development. So while view the word document, some of the word document elements and alignments may not be a proper. Also we haven’t included any online documentation for Syncfusion.DLS.Rendering name space.

Thanks,
Prabhu

Sample

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team October 3, 2006 12:19 PM UTC

>It is not possible to print the word document directly through ASP.NET application using Syncfusion.DLS.Rendering namespace.

I''ve managed to do it with this code:

Dim thisViewer As New Syncfusion.DLS.Rendering.DLSViewer
Dim thisDocument As IWordDocument = New WordDocument
thisDocument.Open(documentLocation, FormatType.Doc)
thisViewer.Document = thisDocument

For i As Integer = 0 To thisViewer.PageCount - 1
thisViewer.CurrentPageIndex = i
thisViewer.PrintDocument.Print()
Next

thisDocument = Nothing
thisViewer = Nothing

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team October 5, 2006 11:34 AM UTC

Hi,

Sorry for delay in getting back to you.

Thanks for the code snippet. The code given was working fine under windows environment and it shouldn’t be work ASP.NET environment. Because of the DLSViewer document rendering control has been derived from ScrollableControl class in System.Windows.Forms namespace. So that it should be only work under windows environment.

Here is the sample that I had tested and it will be work under windows environment.

Sample

Please take a look at this sample and let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Prabhu

JB Jim Barry February 10, 2008 03:17 PM UTC

Can the DLSViewer and/or DocIO be used to print a document in a non interactive mode.

I need to create a nighly print job to print PDFs that WILL NOT interact with an end-user.

I was hoping to use DocIO and/or the PDF class.

Are there any samples?

Any advice...

MW Melba Winshia Syncfusion Team February 12, 2008 09:16 AM UTC

Hi JimB,

I regret to let you know that currently we do not provide support for printing. We can only create and edit the word document using our DocIO API. For viewing and printing option, you need to install Microsoft office or any word viewer.

Please let me know if you have any other concerns.

Thanks,
Melba

RS Rolf Stocker August 31, 2010 02:47 PM UTC

Has any progress been made in this regard? I have tried the DocToPDF converter but it doesn't provide the full fidelity of printing the doc via a pdf print driver. So, short of "perfecting" the latest version of the converter, the ability to send a doc to pdf printer is the other solution. I also need this to happen without user interaction and, naturally, without having Word installed.

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon