We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

How do I determine the number of rows in a spreadsheet?

Simple question: I import a spreadsheet and I need to read the data into a program to act on it. How do I know the total number of rows, or how do I know when to stop reading rows before I cause a range exception? I''m using the sheet.Range[i,j].text approach to reading through the cells in the worksheet. Thanks in advance for your good help!

4 Replies

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team June 13, 2006 03:26 PM UTC

Hi Jerry, Here is the code to find the end row of the rows in the used range. int row=sheet.UsedRange.Row Here is the code to find the end column of the columns in the used range. int col=sheet.UsedRange.Column Please take a look at the attached sample and let me know if you have any queries. Sample:Readingspreadsheet.zip BestRegards, Bharath

JS Jerry Shaver June 13, 2006 08:35 PM UTC

Bharath, Thanks for the sample, it explains everything: for(int row=sheet.UsedRange.Row;row<=sheet.UsedRange.End.Row;row++) { for(int col=sheet.UsedRange.Column;col<=sheet.UsedRange.End.Column;col++) { sheet1.Range[row,col].Text=sheet.Range[row,col].Text; } } >Hi Jerry, > >Here is the code to find the end row of the rows in the used range. > >int row=sheet.UsedRange.Row > > >Here is the code to find the end column of the columns in the used range. > >int col=sheet.UsedRange.Column > > >Please take a look at the attached sample and let me know if you have any queries. > >Sample:Readingspreadsheet.zip > >BestRegards, > >Bharath

AL Aymiee Lee December 13, 2007 05:33 PM UTC

I have noticed that on several occasions:

Dim rowend = sheet.UsedRange.End.Row

sheet.UsedRange.End.Row does not return the correct end row. I have an example of a sheet that has 124 as the end row. But it is being reported as 132 as the end row. See attached. Can you tell why this is happening?

>Hi Jerry,
>
>Here is the code to find the end row of the rows in the used range.
>
>int row=sheet.UsedRange.Row
>

>
>Here is the code to find the end column of the columns in the used range.
>
>int col=sheet.UsedRange.Column
>

>
>Please take a look at the attached sample and let me know if you have any queries.
>
>Sample:Readingspreadsheet.zip
>
>BestRegards,
>
>Bharath

YG Yavanaarasi G Syncfusion Team December 27, 2007 05:50 AM UTC

Hi Mia,

We regret for the delayed response.

1.sheet.UsedRange.End.Row does not return the correct end row.

UsedRange property is used to get the range of used cells on a worksheet. so it determines the actual used range.

2.I have an example of a sheet that has 124 as the end row. But it is being reported as 132 as the end row. Can you tell why this is happening?

Normally,sheet.UsedRange is used to get the used range of the work sheet. If you want to get the total length of the sheet, you should use IWorksheet.Rows.Length to get the total length.

//To get the total length
int length=sheet.Rows.Length.ToString();

Please try the above code and if still the issue exists, could you please send your file in which the issue occurs so that we could sort out the cause of the issue with that file and provide you a solution?

Regards,
Yavana.G

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon