We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Problem using newly installed Essential Grid controls

Hi, I'm having a rather unusual (and quick) problem using our just-purchased Grid control package. I've added all Syncfusion components to their own Syncfusion tab in VS.NET as suggested. When I simply drag and drop any Syncfusion control, I'm getting the development environment error "Object reference not set to an instance of an object". Am I missing something? I'm relatively new to .NET development, but I've installed other component packages in VS.NET without any problems. Any expedient help on this would be much appreciated. Mike O'Connor mocon@optonline.net

7 Replies

MO Mike O'Connor May 5, 2003 04:22 PM UTC

Interesting; I started a new VS solution, tossed in a windows form, slapped a grid control on it, and no problems. For some reason, I can't seem to add any of the Syncfusion components to our existing project, even on a new windows form. Is there some sort of conflict with an existing VS component that might be the problem? There are no other third party controls in use in that project. Mike O'Connor mocon@optonline.net > Hi, > > I'm having a rather unusual (and quick) problem using our just-purchased Grid control package. I've added all Syncfusion components to their own Syncfusion tab in VS.NET as suggested. When I simply drag and drop any Syncfusion control, I'm getting the development environment error "Object reference not set to an instance of an object". Am I missing something? I'm relatively new to .NET development, but I've installed other component packages in VS.NET without any problems. Any expedient help on this would be much appreciated. > > Mike O'Connor > mocon@optonline.net >

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team May 5, 2003 04:24 PM UTC

Did you have the eval version installed before you installed the real version? If so, there may be wrong references in your toolbox controls. In any case, try this. Right click your toolbox, and select customize. Then click the reset button to reset the toolbox to the defaults. Then close VisStu. Now run Visual Studio again, and re-add the syncfusion controls back to your toolbox.

MO Mike O'Connor May 5, 2003 05:32 PM UTC

There was no eval version on this machine prior to the install. I tried the reset and added just the grid control to the toolbox, but the same end result. I get the feeling that there's some sort of conflict somewhere (as this doesn't happen at all with a new project), but all of the controls in the project up to now are the included controls with VS. Mike O'Connor mocon@optonline.net

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team May 6, 2003 07:39 AM UTC

Generally, these problems are caused by one control trying to use a different version of an assembly than an already loaded version of the same assembly. So, when you open your project in the designer, it will load assemblies that you are using, say System.Windows.Forms.DLL. Then if you drop a new control on the form that requires System.Windows.Forms.DLL, then it cannot load a different one, it must use the one that is already loaded. So, you might look through the versions of the assemblies referrenced in your existing project, and compare those with the assemblies referenced in the project that works for Syncfusion controls. If there are different versions being loaded of the same assembly, then that might explain things. If you have both 1.0 and 1.1 of .NET Framework installed, this may be where the problem is coming from.

MO Mike O'Connor May 6, 2003 01:33 PM UTC

What I've done is simply start moving forms to the new version of the project. So far, so good. What I can't seem to find are any of the class references, specifically the GridRecordNavigationControl. Clicking on Suite help in the developer center simply brings up a browser that opens my default page. Thanks for the help. Mike O'Connor mocon@optonline.net

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team May 6, 2003 02:16 PM UTC

You should also be able to see the help in dev stu. Make sure you have teh help filters set to none there. If you do this, you should see the Syncfusion help under Contents or Index, etc. If you cannot see this, then the help did not get registered properly. If you will submit a Direct Trac support incident, we can work with you to get this resolved by sending you some files to test the state of your help system, and to try to re-register things properly.

MO Mike O'Connor May 6, 2003 03:37 PM UTC

Removing the help filter did the trick. Thanks again for the timely help! Mike O'Connor

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon