We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Assembly Manager failing to install dll''s into GAC

Hello, I am having an issue with Assembly Manager (4.1.0.50) installing the Syncfusion dll''s into the GAC. In Syncfusion.AssemblyManager_2003.Log, I see: Information: Action: Installation of assemblies to the GAC status: Started Studio: 1.1 Warning: Action: Installing specific assembly status: Not Successful Studio: 1.1 Assembly: Syncfusion.Barcode.Base.dll etc... These warnings continue for all the Syncfusion dll''s. However, the dll''s _are_ successfully installed into my PublicAssemblies directory. Do you know why this is happening? Thanks. BTW, I am running Visual Studio .NET 2003. Assembly Manager detects Framework v1.1 correctly, and puts the dll''s into PublicAssemblies (as I mentioned before).

6 Replies

DJ Daniel Jebaraj Syncfusion Team March 9, 2006 04:56 AM UTC

Hi Ben, Are you able to drag and drop the assemblies into the GAC? Can you post the log file? Best regards, Daniel >Hello, > >I am having an issue with Assembly Manager (4.1.0.50) installing the Syncfusion dll''s into the GAC. > >In Syncfusion.AssemblyManager_2003.Log, I see: > >Information: Action: Installation of assemblies to the GAC status: Started Studio: 1.1 >Warning: Action: Installing specific assembly status: Not Successful Studio: 1.1 Assembly: Syncfusion.Barcode.Base.dll >etc... > >These warnings continue for all the Syncfusion dll''s. However, the dll''s _are_ successfully installed into my PublicAssemblies directory. > >Do you know why this is happening? > >Thanks. > >BTW, I am running Visual Studio .NET 2003. Assembly Manager detects Framework v1.1 correctly, and puts the dll''s into PublicAssemblies (as I mentioned before). > >

BT Ben Tsai March 9, 2006 03:19 PM UTC

Hi Daniel, I hadn''t tried to drag and drop the assemblies into the GAC. Is that "acceptable" (I thought there may be registration/bookkeeping issues involved that you would not get by dragging and dropping)? I''m curious. But, I tried dragging and dropping and I got an error: --------------------------- Assembly Cache Viewer - Install failed --------------------------- Cannot create/shadow copy ''Syncfusion.Core.dll'' when that file already exists. --------------------------- OK --------------------------- So I went poking around in my GAC in a DOS prompt. It looks like there are directories for all the Syncfusion stuff, but no dll''s in there. It seems to me that it wasn''t properly uninstalled. There are traces of v3 of syncfusion stuff in there too, even though I''ve uninstalled it from my machine. What''s the best way of getting rid of these directories (short of deleting it from the DOS prompt)? Thanks, Ben >Hi Ben, > >Are you able to drag and drop the assemblies into the GAC? Can you post the log file? > >Best regards, >Daniel

Syncfusion.AssemblyManager_2003.zip

DJ Daniel Jebaraj Syncfusion Team March 9, 2006 04:28 PM UTC

Hi Ben, Thanks for the details. Can you try the following? 1) Run the Assembly Manager with action set to "Remove all versions". 2) Run the Assembly Manager with action set to "Install version ..." With the manual installation, it is best to avoid it on development machines since the Assembly Manager selects the correct version, copies it to the public assemblies folder etc. For testing purposes it is fine to drag and drop since the assembly manager supports full clean up of Syncfusion assemblies from the GAC. If this does not help is there any way we can get Webex or Remote Desktop access to your machine for further trouble shooting? Thanks! Best regards, Daniel >Hi Daniel, > >I hadn''t tried to drag and drop the assemblies into the GAC. Is that "acceptable" (I thought there may be registration/bookkeeping issues involved that you would not get by dragging and dropping)? I''m curious. > >But, I tried dragging and dropping and I got an error: > >--------------------------- >Assembly Cache Viewer - Install failed >--------------------------- >Cannot create/shadow copy ''Syncfusion.Core.dll'' when that file already exists. >--------------------------- >OK >--------------------------- > >So I went poking around in my GAC in a DOS prompt. It looks like there are directories for all the Syncfusion stuff, but no dll''s in there. It seems to me that it wasn''t properly uninstalled. There are traces of v3 of syncfusion stuff in there too, even though I''ve uninstalled it from my machine. > >What''s the best way of getting rid of these directories (short of deleting it from the DOS prompt)? > >Thanks, > >Ben > >>Hi Ben, >> >>Are you able to drag and drop the assemblies into the GAC? Can you post the log file? >> >>Best regards, >>Daniel

Syncfusion.AssemblyManager_2003.zip

BT Ben Tsai March 9, 2006 05:18 PM UTC

Hi Daniel, Thank you for the timely reply. Before I had a chance to read it, I went ahead and deleted the directories manually. I then reran AssemblyManager, and this successfully installed the Syncfusion dll''s into the GAC. I believe my issue has been resolved. I did try your suggestion to "remove all versions" using the assembly manager, and reinstalling it. This did not work. There remained Syncfusion directories inside the GAC in two directories, C:\Windows\ASSEMBLY\GAC and C:\Windows\ASSEMBLY\GAC_MSIL. Subdirectories indicated previous versions of Syncfusion also did not get propertly installed. My conclusion is that somehow, my Syncfusion DLL''s were not cleanly uninstalled. The actual .dll''s were removed, but not the directories containing them. One final clarification: is this the ideal setup for a development machine? * Use Assembly Manager to install the assemblies in the GAC and PublicAssemblies. * In VS .NET 2003, set CopyLocal = false. *Don''t include any extra references to directories where the assemblies may exist (e.g. \essential studio\assemblies\). BTW, is that assemblies directory now obselete? Best regards, Ben T. >Hi Ben, > >Thanks for the details. > >Can you try the following? > >1) Run the Assembly Manager with action set to "Remove all versions". > >2) Run the Assembly Manager with action set to "Install version ..." > >With the manual installation, it is best to avoid it on development machines since the Assembly Manager selects the correct version, copies it to the public assemblies folder etc. For testing purposes it is fine to drag and drop since the assembly manager supports full clean up of Syncfusion assemblies from the GAC. > >If this does not help is there any way we can get Webex or Remote Desktop access to your machine for further trouble shooting? Thanks! > >Best regards, >Daniel

DJ Daniel Jebaraj Syncfusion Team March 10, 2006 06:43 PM UTC

Hi Ben, We use GACUtil internally to uninstall assemblies. So, this could be tied to how GACUtil works. My response to your other questions. >* Use Assembly Manager to install the assemblies in the GAC and PublicAssemblies. Yes. >* In VS .NET 2003, set CopyLocal = false. Yes, if you currently have it set to true. >*Don''t include any extra references to directories where the assemblies may exist (e.g. \essential studio\assemblies\). BTW, is that assemblies directory now obselete? Yes, the assemblies folder is now obsolete. If it is available, the assembly manager will still continue to copy the latest assemblies there. This is to ensure that current (customer) build processes that rely on this location continue to work. Please let us know if you need any additional information. Best regards, Daniel >Hi Daniel, > >Thank you for the timely reply. Before I had a chance to read it, I went ahead and deleted the directories manually. I then reran AssemblyManager, and this successfully installed the Syncfusion dll''s into the GAC. I believe my issue has been resolved. > >I did try your suggestion to "remove all versions" using the assembly manager, and reinstalling it. This did not work. There remained Syncfusion directories inside the GAC in two directories, C:\Windows\ASSEMBLY\GAC and C:\Windows\ASSEMBLY\GAC_MSIL. Subdirectories indicated previous versions of Syncfusion also did not get propertly installed. > >My conclusion is that somehow, my Syncfusion DLL''s were not cleanly uninstalled. The actual .dll''s were removed, but not the directories containing them. > >One final clarification: is this the ideal setup for a development machine? >* Use Assembly Manager to install the assemblies in the GAC and PublicAssemblies. >* In VS .NET 2003, set CopyLocal = false. >*Don''t include any extra references to directories where the assemblies may exist (e.g. \essential studio\assemblies\). BTW, is that assemblies directory now obselete? > >Best regards, > >Ben T. > > >>Hi Ben, >> >>Thanks for the details. >> >>Can you try the following? >> >>1) Run the Assembly Manager with action set to "Remove all versions". >> >>2) Run the Assembly Manager with action set to "Install version ..." >> >>With the manual installation, it is best to avoid it on development machines since the Assembly Manager selects the correct version, copies it to the public assemblies folder etc. For testing purposes it is fine to drag and drop since the assembly manager supports full clean up of Syncfusion assemblies from the GAC. >> >>If this does not help is there any way we can get Webex or Remote Desktop access to your machine for further trouble shooting? Thanks! >> >>Best regards, >>Daniel

IM imageat June 3, 2014 09:04 AM UTC

i am using this kind of barcode reader .net dll. check out and try it. hope it is useful.

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon