We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Executing an assembly from a Network Share

I would like to see some information on how to execute an assembly lying on a network share, I tried using the snap in ( mscorcfg ) but I was a little overwhelmed by it, What I would like to see is a step by step procedure on executing my programs which are on the share, I waas able to run simple "hello world" kind of apps. However some major applications failed, complaining of security policies and concerns. I did change the security levels for the Machine, but I am stuck now. -S

1 Reply

SA Sameer April 25, 2003 01:21 PM UTC

I found a way to run the app. The problem is with the .NET Security policies. In order to run the application from the share, the assembly at the share should be trusted by the the machine which is trying to run the application. There is a lot of documentation on this, look for mscorcfg, which is a MMC ( WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\\mscorcfg ) You can use this MMC to configure your application setting. You may also use Caspol.exe to write scripts which will provide the security options and policies. To run my application, this is what I had to do, On the client machine : capol -machine -chggroup LocalIntranet_Zone FullTrust Of course, this can get dangerous, so you may try experimenting with the option of Strong Named assemblies, sign your application with a strong name, using Sn.exe and then grant permission to this assembly. Hope this helps. > I would like to see some information on how to execute an assembly lying on a network share, I tried using the snap in ( mscorcfg ) but I was a little overwhelmed by it, What I would like to see is a step by step procedure on executing my programs which are on the share, I waas able to run simple "hello world" kind of apps. However some major applications failed, complaining of security policies and concerns. I did change the security levels for the Machine, but I am stuck now. > > -S

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon