We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

Formulas in grid cells, problem with commas

Hi all. I have a formula in a cell that looks like this: =D2 & IF(D2="", "", ", ") & D3 & IF(D3="", "", ", ") The formula works fine in Excel, but doesn''t seem to work in the Syncfusion grid. I get a "requires 3 arguments" error in the cell. The problem seems to be the third argument of the If test, where I am trying to insert ", ". Looks like the comma is confusing the grid, as it thinks there is another argument. Have I just made a syntax error? Is there any other way I can do this? Thanks, -Stephen Trinder

3 Replies

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team October 11, 2005 01:26 AM UTC

The comma inside the quotes is causing a problem. Until we get this fixed, one way to work around it is to add a custom function to conditionally add the comma to a non-empty string. Here is a little sample. http://www.syncfusion.com/Support/user/uploads/GC_Formula_963588f8.zip

ST Stephen Trinder October 11, 2005 04:05 AM UTC

Great, thanks Clay. That''ll get me going for now. Another quick question, is there any way to remove the " at the beginning and end of the formula result string? I would like the cell to contain abc, xyz instead of "abc, xyz" Is there any way to achieve that? Or is it just a function of the grid? Thanks, -Stephen

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team October 11, 2005 08:44 AM UTC

Probably the easiest way to handle this is to write a formula that accepts multiple arguments and returns a comma delimited string from the arguments in teh format that you desire.
//Usage:   string s = "=CatComma(D2,D3,D4)";
//Usage:   string s = "=CatComma(A1:A5)";
private string ComputeCatComma(string s)
{
	string[] args = this.engine.GetCellsFromArgs(s);
	string result = "";
	foreach(string arg in args)
	{
		string s1 = this.engine.GetValueFromArg(arg);
		if(s1.Length > 0 && result.Length > 0)
			result += ", ";
		result += s1;
	}
	if(result.Length == 0)
		result = " ";// avoids a zero