We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

handling empty(null) (zero) points

I''m searching for a graphic package to do the following I have 2 series of data. The row is "Hospital Name" The columns are "zip codes" The data is "# discharges from the hospital" Hospital_name 15221 15230 Hospital X 185 177 Hospital Y 87 65 Hospital Z 0 76 When charting, If a hospital has "0" discharges or "null" for a zip code, I do not want any representation on the graph. I do not want a blank space, I do not want any type of average, I do not want any type of character representation I would appreciate it if you could contact me and let me know if your system can handdle this.

3 Replies

GM Geetha M Syncfusion Team August 30, 2005 11:05 AM UTC

Hi Ed, Please refer to the sample attached. sample_3542.zip It displays only the null character at the null data point. I hope this meets your requirement. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks for your interest in Syncfusion products. Regards, Geetha.

RA Robert Avery August 7, 2008 06:39 PM UTC

I have the same question, but I do not believe that the prior post from 2005 answers my question. I have a series that contains NULLs randomly throughout the series. Instead of displaying these points as zero in the line chart, I want to not include that point at all.

What is the fastest way to do this, in terms of chart performance?

MA Manohari Syncfusion Team August 12, 2008 12:20 PM UTC

Hi Robert,

It it possible to completely hide a datapoint in a series when the Y value is zero by setting the IsEmpty property of that point to true. And this is the only property that could help in preventing a datapoint being rendered in chart.

Sample Code:

if (this.chartControl1.Series[k].Points[i].YValues[0] == 0)
{
this.chartControl1.Series[k].Points[i].IsEmpty = true;
}

I have attached a sample that illustrates this in this link below.

http://websamples.syncfusion.com/samples/Chart.Windows/F33921/main.htm

However you can improve the performance by setting the below properties.

(i) ChartSeries.EnableStyles: Point Symbols and Point Text will not be visible if set to false.

(ii) ChartSeries.Style.DisplayShadow: This is set to true by default. Turning it off means, your lines will not have shadows (and hence will be rendered faster).

(iii) ChartControl.ImprovePerformance = true;- Improve the performance of the chart control.

(iv) ChartControl.Indexed : Setting Indexed to false speeds up the Chart. This is not a choice for making the Chart faster. If you don''t need a Indexed/Positional Chart, you must set this property to false.

(v) ChartControl.CalcRegions: This property controls Tooltips and AutoHighliting. If this value is set to false, these features will not work.

(vi) chartControl1.AllowGradientPalette: Turned off gradients.

You can also refer to the following link which could provide some tips to improvove performance in chart Application.

http://www2.syncfusion.com/ug_63/chart/Performance1.html

Kindly let us know if you have any other queries. Thanking you.

Regards,
Manohari.R

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon