We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Open Excel 97 file

Can ExcelRW be used to open an Excel 97 file? I tried and it throws an exception. This is the error I''m getting "Wrong BiffRecord data format. FontRecord".

4 Replies

YS Yin San Phoon June 22, 2005 08:39 AM UTC

I have attached the excel file that I tried to open with the ExcelRW. >Can ExcelRW be used to open an Excel 97 file? I tried and it throws an exception. This is the error I''m getting "Wrong BiffRecord data format. FontRecord". t_2137.zip

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team June 30, 2005 10:05 AM UTC

Hi, Yes, ExcelRW has support for handling all excel files [Excel97 and upwards, only excel 95 is not supported] Could you please clarify the following 1) Was this file created using MS Excel? 2) I was able to see the problem opening the file but when I resaved it using MS Excel 2003, I was able to open it using excelrw. However, I have created a bug report regarding this and we will try to fix this issue as soon as possible. Thanks, Stephen. >I have attached the excel file that I tried to open with the ExcelRW. > >>Can ExcelRW be used to open an Excel 97 file? I tried and it throws an exception. This is the error I''m getting "Wrong BiffRecord data format. FontRecord". > >t_2137.zip > >

YS Yin San Phoon July 4, 2005 02:08 AM UTC

Hi, This file was not created using MS Excel. And yes, when I resaved it using MS Excel 2003, it can be opened by ExcelRW. So, any idea what the problem is at the moment? >Hi, > >Yes, ExcelRW has support for handling all excel files [Excel97 and upwards, only excel 95 is not supported] > >Could you please clarify the following > >1) Was this file created using MS Excel? >2) I was able to see the problem opening the file but when I resaved it using MS Excel 2003, I was able to open it using excelrw. > >However, I have created a bug report regarding this and we will try to fix this issue as soon as possible. > >Thanks, > >Stephen. > >>I have attached the excel file that I tried to open with the ExcelRW. >> >>>Can ExcelRW be used to open an Excel 97 file? I tried and it throws an exception. This is the error I''m getting "Wrong BiffRecord data format. FontRecord". >> >>t_2137.zip >> >>

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team July 13, 2005 08:30 PM UTC

Hi YS, The file was probably produced by a third party vendor like ExcelRW which have bugs in creating the correct file structure. This is mainly because the BIFF8 file format information published by Microsoft is incomplete and a lot of records are undocumented so the developers have to rely on trial and error to find out the undocumented Biff record structures. However, this process can be error prone and it causes imperfect BIFF8 files to be produced. The reason why Microsoft Excel is able to view these damaged files is that MS Excel has a lot more information about the file format, so it is able to guess wrong records and repair them when necessary. However, the development team informed me that the error in this case was with Bad Font and styles records and could not be fixed to be made compatible with excelrw. The only solution in this scenario is to resave the file using MS Excel and then using ExcelRW to open it. Thanks, Stephen. >Hi, > >This file was not created using MS Excel. >And yes, when I resaved it using MS Excel 2003, it can be opened by ExcelRW. >So, any idea what the problem is at the moment? > >>Hi, >> >>Yes, ExcelRW has support for handling all excel files [Excel97 and upwards, only excel 95 is not supported] >> >>Could you please clarify the following >> >>1) Was this file created using MS Excel? >>2) I was able to see the problem opening the file but when I resaved it using MS Excel 2003, I was able to open it using excelrw. >> >>However, I have created a bug report regarding this and we will try to fix this issue as soon as possible. >> >>Thanks, >> >>Stephen. >> >>>I have attached the excel file that I tried to open with the ExcelRW. >>> >>>>Can ExcelRW be used to open an Excel 97 file? I tried and it throws an exception. This is the error I''m getting "Wrong BiffRecord data format. FontRecord". >>> >>>t_2137.zip >>> >>>

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon