We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Performance of Grids

Firstly: I''ve been using the essential grid and was a bit unhappy with the performance so I stuck in the performance grid example and couldnt believe the increase in speed. Why isnt this standard in the essential grid? Am I losing some features I dont know about? Second: Am I going to get a performance increase over the performance grid by using a virtual grid instead? Dave

5 Replies

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team May 17, 2005 10:52 AM UTC

We ship a few performance samples in the product. Which one are you referrring to? \Syncfusion\Essential Studio\3.2.1.0\Windows\Grid.Windows\Samples\Grouping\GroupingPerf \Syncfusion\Essential Studio\3.2.1.0\Windows\Grid.Windows\Samples\Performance\OneTimeOnlyQueryCellInfo \Syncfusion\Essential Studio\3.2.1.0\Windows\Grid.Windows\Samples\Performance\RefreshGrid \Syncfusion\Essential Studio\3.2.1.0\Windows\Grid.Windows\Samples\Performance\TraderGridTest \Syncfusion\Essential Studio\3.2.1.0\Windows\Grid.Windows\Samples\DataBound\GridPerf There will likely be a trade off between fucntionailty and performance. The exact trade off depends upon which version of the grid/performance sample you are referring to. Virtual grids give you the most flexibily and require of you the most responsibility of any of teh grids we ship. Whether it would be more performant that some other grid is highly dependent upon your implementation. We have tried to design our ''standard'' grids to offer a wide range of features while still remaining reasonably performant. But you can use special techniques as illustrated in our samples to gain some performancace in certain circumstances.

DA David May 17, 2005 02:09 PM UTC

I''m using the performance Refresh Grid. What kinds of trade offs are there? As far as I can see this performance grid just enhances the refresh speed, what disadvantage does it have? Dave

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team May 17, 2005 05:40 PM UTC

Here are the default settings in that grid as far as special optimizations go. UseGDI = true; UseDoubleBuffer = false; Model.UseGridNonVirtualDataCache = true; this.OptimizeDrawBackground = true; this.OptimizeInsertRemoveCells = true; this.SupportsPrepareViewStyleInfo = false; You do not have access to QueryCellInfo or PrepareViewSyleInfo with these settings. You are using GDI to draw things so you do not have access to alpha blending and antialiasing text that GDI+ gives you.

RS Rich Strangfeld June 15, 2005 09:17 PM UTC

As an example of what we might lose, does having SupportsPrepareViewStyleInfo false mean that I can''t do stuff like alternating background colors? >Here are the default settings in that grid as far as special optimizations go. > >UseGDI = true; >UseDoubleBuffer = false; >Model.UseGridNonVirtualDataCache = true; >this.OptimizeDrawBackground = true; >this.OptimizeInsertRemoveCells = true; >this.SupportsPrepareViewStyleInfo = false; > > >You do not have access to QueryCellInfo or PrepareViewSyleInfo with these settings. You are using GDI to draw things so you do not have access to alpha blending and antialiasing text that GDI+ gives you.

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team June 15, 2005 10:29 PM UTC

You could not use PrepareViewStyleInfo to alternate row colors which is generally the way you do this. But if you are using the RefreshGrid sample, you can actually set the BackColor of the rowstyle to accomplish this task. for(int i = 1; i <= this.grid.RowCount; i += 2) { this.grid.RowStyles[i].BackColor = Color.Red; }

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon