We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

TreeViewAdv very slow

Hi, we have a big problem with the tree view (v3.0.1.0). When we have a few 100 nodes in the tree, scrolling gets very slow. You can reproduce this behaviour in any situation using the tree with a few 100 lines. Take the load on demand example and turn off filling the right view, expand windows folder and a few others and the scroll. The computer will be 100% busy only by scrolling and it will be no more than 5-10 lines a second the control scrolls (Compaq notebook nc8000 (1.6Ghz, 1GB RAM), Windows XP). You will also see scrolling hangs half a second from time to time in between. The worst ist when you are scrolling up. In this case the whole repainting stops and you don''t see where you are scrolling unless you stop scrolling. Do you have any solution for this? It cannot be that this is so slow on a modern computer. Thanks, Christian

4 Replies

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team May 12, 2005 07:42 AM UTC

Hi Christian. I looked at this as we are also using this tree control and I was worried about a potential performance problem. I''m using 3.2.1.0. I took the load on demand sample and removed the After Select code. I added a button to the form to do an Expand All on the selected node when it was clicked. I expanded (all) the windows folder, and my source development folder. There are many thousands of nodes in the tree after this. Scrolling by dragging the scrollbar was fine. Scrolling using the arrow keys was slower (as you would expect), but I had no noticable performance problems. Carl.

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team May 12, 2005 04:17 PM UTC

Hi Christian, I tested this myself on a 1.4 GHz machine with 100,000 expanded nodes. I did notice that the scrolling was slowed, but it still seemed fast enough to me. Also, from what I can tell the scrollbar wasn''t slowed at all. Regards, Gregory Austin Syncfusion Inc.

VI Vijay February 6, 2006 09:49 PM UTC

Have these performance issues with the tree control been resolved? Is there a work around to improve performance? I am having issues with the control when it has more than 1000 items loaded. I tried using BeginUpdate and EndUpdate but there was no visible improvment in performance. Regards, Vijay >Hi Christian, > > I tested this myself on a 1.4 GHz machine with 100,000 expanded nodes. I did notice that the scrolling was slowed, but it still seemed fast enough to me. Also, from what I can tell the scrollbar wasn''t slowed at all. > >Regards, >Gregory Austin >Syncfusion Inc.

DT Deepa TS Syncfusion Team February 7, 2006 01:05 PM UTC

Hi Vijay, I am afraid,I was not able to see any delay in loading nodes when LoadOnDemand is set to true.Please take a look at the attached sample and let me if this helps you. Regarding Performance of treeviewAdv without setting LoadOnDemand property to true: The problem is that ,TreeViewAdv is much more advanced and the nodes has lot of properties .Several related changes have been made in the TreeViewAdv control in this regard.This shortcoming in the TreeViewAdv is a known issue and we have an open bug report defect# 106 in this regard. I have once again notified the development team on this. We will try our very best to address this issue at the earliest. You could track the progress of this bug fix at this link below : Defect #106 - Performance issues in TreeViewAdv when it contains large number of nodes Thanks for your interest in Syncfusion products. Regards, Deepa.T.S

TreeTest0.zip

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon