We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

ComboBoxAutoComplete Performance

Hi I am using ComboBoxAutoCompete control. Visually and functionally it''s everything I need. Performance when typing search strings is good. Displaying the drop-down however is extremely slow. I have 22000 items in the combo and it takes about 3-4 seconds to display the drop-down! Even if I reduce the number to 1000 there is a noticeable delay before the drop-down is rendered. Do you have any tips to improve the performance or is this a known issue? If the latter, when can we expect an improvement? Many thanks Jason

3 Replies

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team May 11, 2005 06:37 PM UTC

Hi Jason, A large portion of the delay displaying the PopupControlContainer is populated the ListBox with the matches. I created a test sample on my machine and had the following results: Populating a ListBox with 22000 items: 2.5 seconds Opening an AutoComplete popup with 22000 possible matches: 3.75 seconds So 66% of the performance hit is populating the ListBox, which it has to do every time. Even if we managed to reduce the AutoComplete''s processing time to near 0, the limitations of the ListBox would still result in a slow experience. Regards, Gregory Austin Syncfusion Inc.

JA Jason Allen May 16, 2005 03:30 PM UTC

Gregory Thank you for the response. However, if I populate an ordinary combo box, the rendering of the drop list is infinitely faster than that of the ComboBoxAutoComplete. The search performance is absolutely fine, it is only the rendering of the drop list that prevents me from using the control. Any improvement would be greatly appreciated. Best Regards Jason >Hi Jason, > > A large portion of the delay displaying the PopupControlContainer is populated the ListBox with the matches. I created a test sample on my machine and had the following results: > >Populating a ListBox with 22000 items: 2.5 seconds > >Opening an AutoComplete popup with 22000 possible matches: 3.75 seconds > > >So 66% of the performance hit is populating the ListBox, which it has to do every time. Even if we managed to reduce the AutoComplete''s processing time to near 0, the limitations of the ListBox would still result in a slow experience. > >Regards, >Gregory Austin >Syncfusion Inc.

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team May 16, 2005 07:19 PM UTC

Hi Jason, There are two main differences between populating a ComboBox dropdown and an AutoComplete dropdown. 1) The ComboBox dropdown usually only has to be populated once. Any changes after that can be a single addition to list. AutoComplete has to repopulate every time since the list of matches changes frequently. 2) The ComboBox can be populated ahead of time. AutoComplete cannot, since the list of matches is constantly changing. However, I do agree that the dropdown becomes too slow once the matches breaks 15,000. I have entered Feature Request #204 to improve the performance. However, I cannot provide any turnaround time on this request, or even guarantee that it is possible. Regards, Gregory Austin Syncfusion Inc.

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon