We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Wrong version?

Hi! I just downloaded the EssentialStudio (I am just interested in EssentialEdit) and installed it. After adding the EditControl from the VisualStudio "Syncfusion Windows Forms" Toolbox I want to define some properties e.g. the SettingFile. But I cant found it!! (after entering e.g. editControl1.configfile= ... I get the message from compiler: "configfile is not a member of Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.Edit.EditControl".) Other Members are working (like Configurator). I am using assembly version 3.201.1.0 of the C:\Program Files\Syncfusion\Essential Studio\Assemblies\1.1\Syncfusion.Edit.Windows.dll. Some ideas??? Thanks + regards, Markus

5 Replies

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team April 29, 2005 03:46 PM UTC

Hi Markus, Please note that v3.2.1.0 has two EditControls. 1. The Essential Edit Legacy (previously called Essential Edit in v2.0 releases) is an older EditControl which will soon be phased out. No new features or bug fixes will be added to this product. To access this you would have to reference Syncfusion.Edit.Windows.Legacy assembly. 2. The v3.0 Essential Edit is a newer EditControl which has a much improved architecture and extensibility. To access this you would have to reference Syncfusion.Edit.Windows assembly. The v3.2 Edit Release Notes does mention about this : "Please note that version 3.0 Essential Edit and Essential Edit Legacy are two entirely different products. Hence products developed in earlier versions of Essential Edit (called Essential Edit Legacy now), will not be automatically compatible with version 3.0 Essential Edit. However, you could continue using Essential Edit Legacy libraries for the same. Also, we recommend you to use version 3.0 Essential Edit for any new applications that you may wish to develop." Assuming that you wish to use the newer EditControl, this is how you could load an external configuration file into the EditControl : this.editControl1.Configurator.Open(configFile); For more information on this, please refer the Essential Edit user guide available at this link below : www.syncfusion.com/library Refer to the Essential Edit >> Features >> Syntax Highlighting and Code Editing section for more information in this regard. Please let us know if you need any other information. We appreciate your interest in Syncfusion products. Regards, Guru Patwal Syncfusion, Inc.

DT Dave Taylor May 12, 2005 04:17 PM UTC

Guru, Why is it that when I try to add an Edit control it automatically references BOTH the legacy and the current version...and thus gives me an "Ambiguous name" detected? Since I''ve never developed with the previous version and dont want to, is there a way to eliminate it entirely? Thanks Dave Taylor

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team May 12, 2005 04:29 PM UTC

Hi Dave, I have tested for this issue here and do not see this problem in v3.2.1.0. 1. A good workaround here would be to delete the existing EditControls (both new and old) on the VS.NET toolbox and re-add the new one (Syncfusion.Edit.Windows and not Syncfusion.Edit.Legacy.Windows)only. This way only the new EditControl gets added to the form when you perform a drag-drop operation. 2. Remove any reference to the Syncfusion.Edit.Legacy.Windows.dll assembly in the project''s References in VS.NET Solution Explorer window. 3. If you are using v3.0.1.0, please upgrade to v3.2.1.0 from your Direct-Trac account. Please try these steps and let me know if you need further assistance. Thanks for your cooperation. Regards, Guru Patwal Syncfusion, Inc.

DT Dave Taylor May 12, 2005 08:11 PM UTC

Guru, Thanks, removing and reloading it into the VS toolbox worked (as did deleting the reference to the legacy version from the project). One other question here...I''m very confused as to how to load one of the known configurations (specifically VB.NET) without loading a specific file - all of the samples open a file with a known file type/extension. What if I just want a blank edit control formatted for VB.NET?

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team May 13, 2005 12:40 AM UTC

Hi Dave, Please use the following code to pre-load any desired configuration : // this code loads the VB.NET config settings into the EditControl this.editControl1.ResetColoring(this.editControl1.Configurator.GetLanguage("vb")); Now any text typed into the EditControl or set through the Text property is treated as VB.NET text and syntax highlighting is done accordingly. Please refer to the test sample attached that illustrated this and let me know if this helps. Regards, Guru Patwal Syncfusion, Inc.

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon