We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

New Essential 3.2 issues, suggestions, questions, or am I just missing it :-)

I''ve had a couple hours with the new Edit control 3.2. The pending documentation may answer these questions, if not, it might be good to include them: * I can''t get outlining to display a line that "outlines" the section of code that will be collapsed when the [-] symbol is clicked. It collapse the code but with several nested brackets, I don''t have a visial on what will be collapsed. * During my install, the legacy edit control was loaded into the toolbox instead of the new edit control. I also wasn''t able to host both the legacy control and the new edit control..ie, after adding the legacy control, I tried to add the new edit control but the designer dropped the legacy instead of the selected new edit control. This may very well be an issue with Visual Studio''s Form designer. I don''t plan on using the legacy Edit control so having both in a single project isn''t an issue with me, just an observation. Manually adding the new edit control to the toolbox wasn''t so much a problem...I tried to clean the previous versions out and could have been some retention in Visual Studio. * Read only properties in the Properties Tool Window. This could be a personal preference but I really don''t want to see properties here that I can''t edit at design time. It may be that these properties will become read/write based on another setting but I haven''t found it. Those properties are the following (in case I''m missing something): CanCopy, CanCut, CanPaste, CanRedo, CanUndo, IsIntellyScrollActive, PhysicalLineCount, VisibleLineCount. * I wasn''t able to add multiple lines of text during design time. I''m looking for something like the RichTextBox.Lines property. It opens up the designer ''StringCollectionEditor'' so that I can add multiline text at design time. * It''s also taking around 5 seconds to open a 240KB CSV file. I''ve also set the ConvertOnLoad=false. The file seemed to have syntax highlighting applied to it. Is there a way to disable all syntax highlighting? I just want the text presented without any highlighting. The file extesion is *.TXT. * The help document indicates that I should use the following line to pick a syntax highlighter: // Set the EditControl to use the configuration settings for C#. this.editControl1.ResetColoring(this.editControl1.Configurator.KnownLanguages[5] as IConfigLanguage); Is there a Syncfusion enuermation for the default values for the Configuration.KnownLanguages array? For example "public enum KnownLanguages { default, Pascal, Html, VB, Xml, CS }". I just worry about future changes breaking my syntax highlighting. Again, this is just a ''quick look'' at the editor. Thanks for the help, Daniel

8 Replies

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team April 7, 2005 02:20 AM UTC

* In regards to picking a syntax highlighter, I think I''ve found the following line of code to be "more flexible", ie., I think if future implementations make changes, it won''t cause breaking changes in my existing code: editControl1.ResetColoring(editControl1.Configurator.GetLanguage("cs")); * AutoIndent doesn''t use tabs when the UseTabs==true. Not sure if the the UseTabs is referenced for AutoIndent. My goal is to get as close to the VisualStudio 2003 editor as possible. That being said, after an AutoIndent occurs, I expect that one backspace will take me back to the position I would have been on if autoindent was enabled. For example: public static void Main() { | <-- backspace here moves under the bracket. public static void Main() { | <-- expected position public static void Main() { | <-- observed position Best regards, Daniel

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team April 7, 2005 02:23 AM UTC

Well, that didn''t look right ;-) public static void Main() { ...| <-- backspace here moves under the bracket. public static void Main() { | <-- expected position public static void Main() { ..| <-- observed position

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team April 7, 2005 02:52 AM UTC

* Multiple edit controls on a single form throw an exception when databound to same string field. I''m now getting a System.ApplicationException in syncfusion.edit.windows.dll : "Control already has cursor!". I''ve created a new c# project, added two syncfusion editControls and two RichTextBox controls. All four are bound to the same string property. By using the mouse, I click on the syncfusion editControl1, then click on the syncfusion editControl2...and get the exception. If then re-run the project, and click on richTextBox1 then richTextBox2 then back to richTextBox1......repeat...no exception. I''ve also verified that QWhale''s edit control doesn''t throw an exception. The syncfusion editcontrol seems to not release ''right after'' an edit in it. I''m attaching all of the relevent ''typed'' code below and calling it a night. I''m not getting a warm fuzzy feeling but it''s been a long day. Is anyone else using the edit control? pushing it? My last issue I posted on Direc-Trac but that doesn''t get the community involved. Normally I try to take these things offline but hopefully, bringing this stuff up here will help everyone. Kudos to the sales team, they''ve been on top of things. Thanks and Later, Daniel /// /// The main entry point for the application. /// [STAThread] static void Main() { Application.Run(new Form1()); } private void ultraButtonClose_Click(object sender, System.EventArgs e) { this.Close(); } private void Form1_Load(object sender, System.EventArgs e) { editControl1.ResetColoring(editControl1.Configurator.GetLanguage("cs")); editControl2.ResetColoring(editControl2.Configurator.GetLanguage("cs")); editControl1.DataBindings.Add("Text", this, "MyText"); editControl2.DataBindings.Add("Text", this, "MyText"); richTextBox1.DataBindings.Add("Text", this, "MyText"); richTextBox2.DataBindings.Add("Text", this, "MyText"); syntaxEdit1.DataBindings.Add("Text", this, "MyText"); syntaxEdit2.DataBindings.Add("Text", this, "MyText"); } private string _myText=string.Empty; public string MyText { get { return _myText; } set { _myText = value; } }

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team April 7, 2005 11:29 PM UTC

Hi Daniel, Thanks for your feedback on the EditControl. 1. The "outlines" feature is not available in the current implementation in the EditControl and we have open feature request (feature# 129) in this regard, and we will implement the same in the near future . 2. I do see that the new EditControl does not get automatically loaded into the VS.NET toolbox when v3.2 is installed, and only the legacy EditControl appears there. We will address this issue before the final release of v3.2. 3. We will also hide the ReadOnly properties like CanCopy, CanCut, CanPaste, CanRedo, CanUndo, IsIntellyScrollActive, PhysicalLineCount, VisibleLineCount in the designer. 4. We have considered this as a feature request (feature# 132) and a Lines property (like in the RichTextBox) will be added soon. 5. The EditControl has an extremely efficient file loading mechanism and it loads a 26MB text file (with syntax highlighting and outlining) in a second. Please refer to the FileHandlingDemo sample for this purpose. Kindly email us the 240KB CSV file at Support@Syncfusion.com and we will further investigate this issue here. Please include a link to this forum post in the email. 6. We have considered this as a feature request (feature# 133). We will create an enumerator like KnownConfigLanguages which will allow you to easily set any desired configuration to the EditControl. For example the C# configuration can be loaded using the following line of code : this.editControl1.ResetColoring(KnownConfigLanguages.CS); 7. The auto indentation feature is still under development (feature# 118) and will be available in the near future. 8. The crash while databinding multiple instances of the EditControl to a common datasource is a shortcoming in our EditControl, and I have notified the development team in this regard. We have logged a bug report defect# 206 in this regard, and will try our very best to fix the same at the earliest. You could track the progress of this bug fix at this link below : Defect #206 - Crash on databinding multiple instances of EditControl to a common datsource Once again, we appreciate your feedback, and thanks for your patience. Regards, Guru Patwal Syncfusion, Inc.

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team April 8, 2005 03:13 PM UTC

Hi Daniel, Issues (2), (3) and (8) have been fixed. Thanks for your continued interest in Syncfusion products. Regards, Guru Patwal Syncfusion, Inc.

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team August 16, 2005 08:13 PM UTC

Hi Daniel, Feature request# 132 has been implemented. The EditControl now has a Lines property (just like the one in RichTextBox). This feature will be available in the final release of v3.3. We appreciate your continued interest in Syncfusion products. Regards, Guru Patwal Syncfusion, Inc.

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team August 18, 2005 06:46 PM UTC

Hi Daniel, Feature request# 133 has been implemented. You could now load any predefined configuration settings in the EditControl using code like : /* Considering configuration settings for SQL as an example and using the KnownLanguages enumerator */ this.editControl1.ApplyConfiguration(KnownLanguages.SQL); Let me know if you need any other information. Regards, Guru Patwal Syncfusion, Inc.

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team September 22, 2005 08:02 PM UTC

Hi Daniel, Feature 129 has been implemented internally and this feature will be available in the next release of Essential Edit (post v3.3.0.0 releases). We appreciate your continued interest in Syncfusion products. Regards, Guru Patwal Syncfusion, Inc.

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon