We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

binding checkbox to non-boolean database fields

I'm stuck dealing with a database that uses Char-1 fields for flags. Literally 'Y' or 'N'. What's the best approach to binding a checkbox to such a feild? Of course I need to be able to show the value, as well as change it. I guess I'll have to make a custom control, subclassing the checkbox. However, I dont' know what events to try to tap into. Is there some kind of event for "reading binding value" that I can override and give it "Y" when the box is checked? Also an event for "Setting binding value" that I can override and check when I see a 'Y' Any help greatly appreciated.

1 Reply

JE jean February 13, 2003 12:44 AM UTC

CheckBox myCk = new CheckBox(); DataBinding db = new Binding( "Checked", myDataSet, "tablename.fieldname" ); myCk.DataBindings.Add( db); // inject delegates that translate bet. field and checkbox db.Format += new ConvertEventHandler( fromDbToControl ); db.Parse += new ConvertEventHandler( fromControlToDb );

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon