We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

Open excel file with links

Hello I try to open an Excel file with the method ExcelUtils.Open() of ExcelRW component. The file contains many links to external data source. Is it possible not to refresh these links? The links refresh takes a lot of a time and I only need the current values of the cells. Thanks Thierry

3 Replies

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team February 9, 2005 02:37 PM UTC

Hi Thierry, Would it be possible to send the file to me at stephenj @ syncfusion.com . I dont think that the links are getting refreshed during file open. What is the size of the file that you are trying to open?. Thanks, Stephen. >Hello > >I try to open an Excel file with the method ExcelUtils.Open() of ExcelRW component. The file contains many links to external data source. > >Is it possible not to refresh these links? The links refresh takes a lot of a time and I only need the current values of the cells. > >Thanks >Thierry

TV Thierry Vessereau February 10, 2005 09:21 AM UTC

Hi Stephen Unfortunately I can not send you the file because it contains sensitive data. The size of the file is around 2M and contains around 15 worksheets. But I need only a few data from this file (around 1000 cells) It takes however 3-4 minutes to open with the method ExcelUtils.Open(). I dont understand why it takes so long. With an application written in MS/Access I need only a few seconds to access the data. I have the idea now that all the data in the Excel file may be readen with the method Open()? Is it true? If yes, is there an other way to read an excel file? Thanks a lot Thierry >Hi Thierry, > >Would it be possible to send the file to me at > >stephenj @ syncfusion.com . I dont think that the links are getting refreshed during file open. What is the size of the file that you are trying to open?. > >Thanks, > >Stephen. > >>Hello >> >>I try to open an Excel file with the method ExcelUtils.Open() of ExcelRW component. The file contains many links to external data source. >> >>Is it possible not to refresh these links? The links refresh takes a lot of a time and I only need the current values of the cells. >> >>Thanks >>Thierry

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team February 11, 2005 02:54 PM UTC

Hi Thierry, I am afraid, there is no other way to read specific information, ExcelRW reads and parses the whole file with formatting during the read process and populates the complete object model, so there is no way to avoid it. This is possibly a general performance issues with ExcelRW in handling some data in your spreadsheet. However, we are aware of this issue and are working on rectifying it based on sample spreadsheets sent by other customers. We expect to have a build in three weeks time that would address these performance issues with large files. Thank you for your patience. Best regards, Stephen. > >Hi Stephen > >Unfortunately I can not send you the file because it contains sensitive data. > >The size of the file is around 2M and contains around 15 worksheets. But I need only a few data from this file (around 1000 cells) > >It takes however 3-4 minutes to open with the method ExcelUtils.Open(). > >I dont understand why it takes so long. With an application written in MS/Access I need only a few seconds to access the data. > >I have the idea now that all the data in the Excel file may be readen with the method Open()? Is it true? If yes, is there an other way to read an excel file? > >Thanks a lot >Thierry > >>Hi Thierry, >> >>Would it be possible to send the file to me at >> >>stephenj @ syncfusion.com . I dont think that the links are getting refreshed during file open. What is the size of the file that you are trying to open?. >> >>Thanks, >> >>Stephen. >> >>>Hello >>> >>>I try to open an Excel file with the method ExcelUtils.Open() of ExcelRW component. The file contains many links to external data source. >>> >>>Is it possible not to refresh these links? The links refresh takes a lot of a time and I only need the current values of the cells. >>> >>>Thanks >>>Thierry

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon