We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

Performance issues compiling with 2005

Hi. I have a simple app that uses the GridControl, and loads it from some XML. When using the assemblies installed by the Syncfusion install, I can load my grid in around 0.2 seconds. We have recompiled all of the source of the Syncfusion controls into C# 2005. Now when I run my simple app, it takes 2 seconds to load the grid! We have not signed our version of the controls, so they are not going into the GAC. Has anyone experienced this? Is the 2K5 compiler different from the 2K3 one? Should we have used any special compiler options? Would signing and putting controls in the GAC make a difference? Thanks, -Stephen

3 Replies

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team January 14, 2005 12:43 PM UTC

Hi Stephen, my guess would be that VS 2005 has probably still some debugging code in there since it is still in beta. We also haven''t optimized/analyzed our libraries yet regardings this aspect. We want to wait at least until Beta 2 is available. The Xml serialization code relies heavily on reflection. What it does within the .NET framework is actually the first time you create a XmlSerializer it loops though the classes that should be serialized, creates CSharp code internally and compiles it into a assembly. This dynamic assembly is then later used to serialize/deserialize the code. If you send a sample we can check it if we see the same behavoir here. Stefan >Hi. > >I have a simple app that uses the GridControl, and loads it from some XML. When using the assemblies installed by the Syncfusion install, I can load my grid in around 0.2 seconds. > >We have recompiled all of the source of the Syncfusion controls into C# 2005. Now when I run my simple app, it takes 2 seconds to load the grid! > >We have not signed our version of the controls, so they are not going into the GAC. > >Has anyone experienced this? Is the 2K5 compiler different from the 2K3 one? Should we have used any special compiler options? Would signing and putting controls in the GAC make a difference? > >Thanks, >-Stephen

BP Britt Poulsen April 3, 2006 09:19 PM UTC

I believe we are having a similar issue. In our application we have the need to persist our grid settings. We do this by using the XmlSerializer class to persist a Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.Grid.Grouping.GridTableDescriptor. During profiling, we observed that this serialization would take 2 seconds initially and just a few milliseconds subsequently. The profiler also indicated that when we were using the XmlSerializer on other (non-Syncfusion) classes, we experienced this same first-time performance hit. We solved our other problems by using the Visual Studio 2005 Sgen.exe tool to generate a "stub" for the classes which we were trying to serialize. This solved our performance issues. However, now we need to also run this tool on Syncfusion.Grid.Grouping.Windows.dll. Unfortunately, in order to run this tool we need to provide the tool (Sgen.exe) the same private key that was used to sign Syncfusion.Grid.Grouping.Windows.dll. Of course, we do not have this key. Would it be possible for ya''ll to generate this file for us (using Sgen.exe) and email the resulting file to me? The command line is as follows: Sgen.exe /assembly:Syncfusion.Grid.Grouping.Windows.dll /force /nologo /verbose /compiler:/keyfile:private.key Incidentally, we are using Visual Studio 2005 and Syncfusion 4.1.0.62. Thanks tremendously in advance, Britt >Hi Stephen, > >my guess would be that VS 2005 has probably still some debugging code in there since it is still in beta. > >We also haven''t optimized/analyzed our libraries yet regardings this aspect. We want to wait at least until Beta 2 is available. > >The Xml serialization code relies heavily on reflection. What it does within the .NET framework is actually the first time you create a XmlSerializer it loops though the classes that should be serialized, creates CSharp code internally and compiles it into a assembly. This dynamic assembly is then later used to serialize/deserialize the code. > >If you send a sample we can check it if we see the same behavoir here. > >Stefan > > > >>Hi. >> >>I have a simple app that uses the GridControl, and loads it from some XML. When using the assemblies installed by the Syncfusion install, I can load my grid in around 0.2 seconds. >> >>We have recompiled all of the source of the Syncfusion controls into C# 2005. Now when I run my simple app, it takes 2 seconds to load the grid! >> >>We have not signed our version of the controls, so they are not going into the GAC. >> >>Has anyone experienced this? Is the 2K5 compiler different from the 2K3 one? Should we have used any special compiler options? Would signing and putting controls in the GAC make a difference? >> >>Thanks, >>-Stephen

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team April 4, 2006 06:03 AM UTC

Hi Britt, It is possible but, it would be better if you can open a D-Trac incident to get the required file. Thanks, Madhan

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon