We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

merging cells

I would like to set the merge properties of a column to true so that cells with same values get merged in that column. ditto for a row. mHow do i do that for a unbound essential grid. also, How do i display my text in the centre row of a covered range? I am new to grids and also to .net and also to VB

18 Replies

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team September 23, 2004 02:54 PM UTC

Hi Mahesh, First you need to set Options.MergeCellsMode = GridMergeCellsMode.OnDemandCalculation|GridMergeCellsMode.MergeRowsInColumn|GridMergeCellsMode.MergeColumnsInRow; then for individual cells: - to merge neighbouring columns in same row set cell.Item(row, col).MergeCell = GridMergeCellDirection.ColumnsInRow - to merge neighbouring rows in same column set cell.Item(row, col).MergeCell = GridMergeCellDirection.RowsInColumn In order to center text within a covered range, you first make it a covered range and set vertical and horizontal alignemnt, e.g. gridControl1.CoveredRanges.Add(GridRangeInfo.Cells(6, 2, 7, 6)) gridControl1(6, 2).VerticalAlignment = GridVerticalAlignment.Middle gridControl1(6, 2).HorizontalAlignment = GridHorizontalAlignment.Center Stefan

MN Mahesh Naik September 24, 2004 10:28 AM UTC

thank you. currently i am a VB dabbler.What namespaces i use? you have given the variables without fully qulified names.? >Hi Mahesh, > >First you need to set >Options.MergeCellsMode = GridMergeCellsMode.OnDemandCalculation|GridMergeCellsMode.MergeRowsInColumn|GridMergeCellsMode.MergeColumnsInRow; > >then for individual cells: > >- to merge neighbouring columns in same row set > >cell.Item(row, col).MergeCell = GridMergeCellDirection.ColumnsInRow > >- to merge neighbouring rows in same column set > >cell.Item(row, col).MergeCell = GridMergeCellDirection.RowsInColumn > >In order to center text within a covered range, you first make it a covered range and set vertical and horizontal alignemnt, e.g. > > > gridControl1.CoveredRanges.Add(GridRangeInfo.Cells(6, 2, 7, 6)) > gridControl1(6, 2).VerticalAlignment = GridVerticalAlignment.Middle > gridControl1(6, 2).HorizontalAlignment = GridHorizontalAlignment.Center > > >Stefan > > >

MN Mahesh Naik September 24, 2004 11:05 AM UTC

cant i have the property assigned to a full column.? a full row?. i have 17 copies of the grid , each with a different number of rows and different text matter in the columns. i want the msflxgrideffect of vb6, > >thank you. currently i am a VB dabbler.What namespaces i use? >you have given the variables without fully qulified names.? > >>Hi Mahesh, >> >>First you need to set >>Options.MergeCellsMode = GridMergeCellsMode.OnDemandCalculation|GridMergeCellsMode.MergeRowsInColumn|GridMergeCellsMode.MergeColumnsInRow; >> >>then for individual cells: >> >>- to merge neighbouring columns in same row set >> >>cell.Item(row, col).MergeCell = GridMergeCellDirection.ColumnsInRow >> >>- to merge neighbouring rows in same column set >> >>cell.Item(row, col).MergeCell = GridMergeCellDirection.RowsInColumn >> >>In order to center text within a covered range, you first make it a covered range and set vertical and horizontal alignemnt, e.g. >> >> >> gridControl1.CoveredRanges.Add(GridRangeInfo.Cells(6, 2, 7, 6)) >> gridControl1(6, 2).VerticalAlignment = GridVerticalAlignment.Middle >> gridControl1(6, 2).HorizontalAlignment = GridHorizontalAlignment.Center >> >> >>Stefan >> >> >>

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team September 24, 2004 11:26 AM UTC

Sure. to assign the value to a column: - to merge neighbouring rows in same column set grid.ColStyles.Item(col).MergeCell = GridMergeCellDirection.RowsInColumn Same with rows using grid.RowStyles.Item(row). Stefam

MN Mahesh Naik September 24, 2004 11:55 AM UTC

thank you, i managed col and row, but what about the option statement on the top. Do i use the or operator instaed of | in VB? and how do i set it in vb i am trying it on a tiny t41 right now..waiting..

MN Mahesh Naik September 24, 2004 12:11 PM UTC

Options.MergeCellsMode = GridMergeCellsMode.OnDemandCalculation|GridMergeCellsMode.MergeRowsInColumn|GridMergeCellsMode.MergeColumnsInRow; what is the fully qualified syntax to set. I drilled down to locate where option as present but i got it only as a readonly property?

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team September 24, 2004 03:04 PM UTC

Mahesh, try grid.Model.Options.MergeCellsMode = GridMergeCellsMode.OnDemandCalculation Or GridMergeCellsMode.MergeRowsInColumn Or GridMergeCellsMode.MergeColumnsInRow Stefan

MN Mahesh Naik September 25, 2004 12:09 PM UTC

Good morning, .no doenot work.. i have a grdcontrol with name msfgsection my statement is with msfgsection .grid.model.option...........=....... it tells me grid id not a memebr of ''syncfusion.Windows.froms.grid.gridcontrol'' how do i reference the parent ? I managed to compile my data entry application just a hr back but without the mer effect.Every row is repeating the question text...

MN Mahesh Naik September 25, 2004 01:40 PM UTC

hello, i manged to get it.Is a grid and gridcontrol the same object?. i just put.model.option.mergecells onthe rhs..., and managed to put through a translation. I am finding the code becoming more dirtier. I have 17 instances. How do i create my own grid based on your grid(by using it a parent and inherting only what the son likes) . I have also to handle 8 different colour styles on all the grids. 2 more remaining glitches, please before i start evaluating the software ... i want to disable sorting,editing and column sizing. Basically i donot want any more properties than waht i got with MSFlexgrid with vb 6,0. My developers had used that .ocx and i [with a lot of patient help from C1] poted it to C1flexgrid. I like your covered cells as it saves me a lot of I/O. 700 Question texts had to be repaeted at each row allocated for the groups of answers for a question. after trial and testing for a next survey [with lots of money only] i may intend to use syncfusion grid though you are missing a zip compatible library in your pocket emptying product.

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team September 25, 2004 07:38 PM UTC

If you are using a GridDataBoundGrid, you can set properties to control the things you mentions. //turn off sorting this.gridDataBoundGrid1.SortBehavior = GridSortBehavior.None; //turn off column sizing this.gridDataBoundGrid1.ResizeColsBehavior = GridResizeCellsBehavior.None; //turn off editing this.gridDataBoundGrid1.Binder.EnableEdit = false;

MN Mahesh Naik September 26, 2004 08:35 AM UTC

I am using a vanilla unbound grid with only 2 events as of now. i handle keydown and rowcol chnage[after change].

MN Mahesh Naik September 26, 2004 09:15 AM UTC

how do i disable editing ? unbound gridcontrol

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team September 26, 2004 09:47 AM UTC

this.grid.ReadOnly = false; will do it. There are several other ways you can do it as well such as handling the grid.CurrentCellStartEditing event and setting e.Cancel = true, or using CellType = "Static" for all your cells (this.grid.TableStyle.CellType = "Static";).

MN Mahesh Naik September 26, 2004 11:29 AM UTC

i mean readonly for the user , not the program. i take the keystrokes and execute them based on my edit logic. I tried readonly but then it makes it readonly even for the program. >this.grid.ReadOnly = false; will do it. > >There are several other ways you can do it as well such as handling the grid.CurrentCellStartEditing event and setting e.Cancel = true, or using CellType = "Static" for all your cells (this.grid.TableStyle.CellType = "Static";).

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team September 26, 2004 10:55 PM UTC

You still use grid.ReadOnly = true. When you want to programatically change something, you first set grid.IgnoreReadOnly = true, make teh change from code, and then set grid.IgnoreReadOnly = flase to trun the readonly back on for your user.

MN Mahesh Naik September 27, 2004 06:07 AM UTC

may not work. some questions take their feedback from a list of values already listed in column 3.while selecting the arrows take you up and down only within the question boundries. To really run away from the question i use \ char{actually it is user selctable}. for questions like age i actually trap the key strokes within a cell and validate them to be within the acceptable allowed bounds. Either i want the editing switched off or all input to be filtered by me so that i can translate the keystrokes. I want your mercedes car to run like my bullock cart because the road only allows that. Mahesh Naik

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team September 27, 2004 02:02 PM UTC

You are free to design your own custom cell type that handles all aspects of the user''s interaction with a specific cell in keyboard interaction. Take a look at the discussion Deriving a Cell Control in the grid user guide\essentialgrid overview\deriving a cell control. We ship many samples that use custom cell types. Do a search in the grid\samples for CellModels.Add. This will show you more than 20 examples. To handle keystrokes in a custom cell type, you can the techninues discussed in this forum thread. http://www.syncfusion.com/Support/Forums/message.aspx?MessageID=8961

MN Mahesh Naik September 28, 2004 11:06 AM UTC

thank you .I was excatly doing that right now. that is only thing pendig for me to learn about the relevant ideas about your grid . I will come back after a couple of days.

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon