We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Unable to compile project from repo when using Spreadsheet Ribbon

So, I developed a little app on my desktop PC where I used the Spreadsheet and the Spreadsheet Ribbon. Basically pulled both controls from the Toolbox onto the designer and coupled them together. Did not change anything else about those two controls, otherwise they're on default properties.

This all works fine on my desktop and I'm able to compile / publish the whole application.

Then I tried to do some more work on this application while on the move and thus pulled the application onto my laptop (also a Windows 11 machine). Tried to compile the project and got an exception on startup at the line

this.spreadSheetRibbon1 = new Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.Spreadsheet.SpreadsheetRibbon()

with the following exception message:

System.ArgumentNullException: 'Value cannot be null. Arg_ParamName_Name'

Not exactly know where this comes from I then tried to delete the control and pull it from the Toolbox again.

This yields a direct exception in a Windows alert box, with the first lines of the stack trace telling me:

Failed to create component 'SpreadsheetRibbon'. The error message follows:
'Microsoft.DotNet.DesignTools.Client.DesignToolsServerException: Value canot be null. (Parameter: 'stream')

This is with version 20.4.0.48 of the WinForms NuGet package.

8 Replies

VS Vijayarasan Sivanandham Syncfusion Team February 6, 2023 02:54 PM UTC

Hi Johannes Hass,

Find the response to the queries,

Query

Response

Then I tried to do some more work on this application while on the move and thus pulled the application onto my laptop (also a Windows 11 machine). Tried to compile the project and got an exception on startup at the line

this.spreadSheetRibbon1 = new Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.Spreadsheet.SpreadsheetRibbon()

with the following exception message:

System.ArgumentNullException: 'Value cannot be null. Arg_ParamName_Name'

We have checked the reported issue with the provided details, but we are unable to reproduce the reported issue on our end. Here we have attached the tested sample and demo. Please have a look at this. If you are facing the reported issue in any different scenario, modify the attached sample based on your scenario and share the video illustration for the reported issue. It will be helpful for us to proceed further.

Not exactly know where this comes from I then tried to delete the control and pull it from the Toolbox again.

This yields a direct exception in a Windows alert box, with the first lines of the stack trace telling me:

Failed to create component 'SpreadsheetRibbon'. The error message follows:
'Microsoft.DotNet.DesignTools.Client.DesignToolsServerException: Value canot be null. (Parameter: 'stream')

This is with version 20.4.0.48 of the WinForms NuGet package.

We suspect that the reported problem occurs due to multiple versions of Syncfusion assemblies refereed from GAC.  

However, you can resolve the reported problem by removing the previous Syncfusion product version from GAC.

Please refer to the below KB for further references, 
https://www.syncfusion.com/kb/7145/how-to-resolve-exception-with-failed-to-create-component-while-adding-the-components-from

Regards,
Vijayarasan S

Attachment: SfSpreadSheetDemo_258842a1.zip

JH Johannes Hass February 6, 2023 10:30 PM UTC

The demo is nice but does not actually relate to the problem. Again, this problem is coming from a working solution I pulled from Github. As I said, it works on my Desktop PC (where I created the application) and does not work on my Laptop (where I pulled the source to from Github). Both have the same version of Visual Studio 2022 installed.

Secondly, your suggestion to remove "previous Syncfusion products" did not yield any results because

a) the laptop did not have any previously installed SF products installed and

b) going through the removal/installation process just resulted in the same error again.

See attached video in zip file.

Attachment: spreadsheetribbonexception_abdbedc4.zip

VS Vijayarasan Sivanandham Syncfusion Team February 7, 2023 04:52 PM UTC

Johannes Hass,

We have tried to reproduce the reported crashing issue based on the provided details, but we have been unable to reproduce this from our end. Please provide more information related to your query.

1. Code snippet related to Spreadsheet and SpreadSheetRibbon.

2. If possible, kindly provide a simple issue reproducible sample

It will be helpful for us to check on it and provide you with a solution as soon as possible.

JH Johannes Hass February 7, 2023 09:40 PM UTC

I figured it out. Because I became desperate and also installed Visual Studio in an identical configuration on a Surface Go 2.

And there it compiles and runs.

So that got me thinking about a hardware-related issue. And the stack trace when trying to run the program stated something about `System.Drawing` and bitmaps.

So, you see, the screen of a Surface Book 3 is rather small in relation to its resolution. So the standard scaling is set to 200%.

While on a Surface Go and my Desktop, I can set the scaling to 100%.

And guess what happens on my Surface Book 3 when I set the scaling to 100% there as well? The Designer displays the control, the whole thing compiles and the application runs.

I guess I found the one of your controls which has issues with DPI and scaling.

Summary: To reproduce the problem set your display scaling to 200%.

VS Vijayarasan Sivanandham Syncfusion Team February 10, 2023 02:43 PM UTC

Johannes Hass,

We have created a bug report for the reported issue, and we will fix it and include it in our upcoming Weekly NuGet release scheduled for March 7, 2023.

We will update the feedback link for this bug on February 13, 2023.

We appreciate your patience until then.

VS Vijayarasan Sivanandham Syncfusion Team February 13, 2023 01:52 PM UTC

Johannes Hass,

We have created a bug report for the reported issue “System.ArgumentNullException occurs in Spreadsheet when the DPI is set as 200”. We will fix this issue and include it in our upcoming Weekly NuGet release scheduled for March 7, 2023

You can track the status of this report through the following feedback link,

Feedback Link: https://www.syncfusion.com/feedback/41052/system-argumentnullexception-occurs-in-spreadsheet-when-the-dpi-is-set-as-200

Note: The provided feedback link is private, and you need to login to view this feedback.

We appreciate your patience until then.

VS Vijayarasan Sivanandham Syncfusion Team March 7, 2023 01:52 PM UTC

Johannes Hass,

We deeply regret the delay and inconvenience caused.

We are unable to include the fix for this issue in our NuGet package which is released today. We will fix this issue and include it in our Essential Studio 2023 Volume 1 Main Release, which will be rolled out at the end of March 2023.

We will let you know once it is released. We appreciate your patience until then.

VS Vijayarasan Sivanandham Syncfusion Team March 24, 2023 01:57 PM UTC

Johannes Hass,

We are glad to announce that our Essential Studio 2023 Volume 1 Main Release V21.1.35 is rolled out with the reported bug fix “System.ArgumentNullException occurs in Spreadsheet when the DPI is set as 200” and is available for download under the following link.

https://www.syncfusion.com/forums/181344/essential-studio-2023-volume-1-main-release-v21-1-35-is-available-for-download

We thank you for your support and appreciate your patience in waiting for this release. Please get in touch with us if you would require any further assistance.

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon