We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

formula problem

Hello, I''m testing the grid (v2.x i believe), using the included sample Essential Grid Formula Support. Suppose the following values entered into this demo: B126: 500 C126: 0.03 D126: 0.90 I attempt to enter a formula: =B126*POW((C126+1),2) I get: bad index or invalid expression etc Why do I get this? If I do individual pieces of the expression, it works, just not all together. Second question. Also, I''m looking for a Class Reference for the grid, is this available with the purchased version or somewhere in the documentation I''m missing? I see mention of it in the documentation in User''s Guide > Introducing Essential Grid > Resources > Class Reference, but can''t find this. Probably something obvious. Thanks...

5 Replies

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team July 16, 2004 05:47 AM UTC

I think it is the extra set of parens around the C26+1 that is causing the problem. We will get this corrected in our code base in some manner. Normally, an extra set of parens does not really affect anything. But when used in the manner you have done around an arg in the Pow argument list, the argument is not being marked as a formula that needs computing, but instead is being treated as a value already computed because of the outside parens. Anyway, until we get this corrected, you can avoid the problem by not including the extra parens around the argument. This formula worked for me =B126*POW(C126+1,2)

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team July 16, 2004 05:49 AM UTC

To see the class reference, inside VisStu, open up the Help Contents, and make sure the Filtered By is set to none. This should display the Syncfusion Class Reference and User Guide. In the other help displays like Index, also make sure Filtered By is set to none as well to include the Syncfusion Class Reference.

SE Seth July 17, 2004 03:46 PM UTC

Thanks for the quick response. I can get the forumla working now without the parens; hopefully this can be fixed soon as some parameters of functions will need order of operations to be accurate. Next problem is, when I copy the formula to the next cell, and press F2 to edit (I have to press this twice for the edit cursor to come up... odd, but clicking on a cell brings the edit cursor right up), I change the Pow( C126+1,2) to Pow(C126+1,3) and press enter and I get ".. is not a valid value for Double." If I click Ok, then move cells with the arrow key, it calculates the value with the most recently entered forumla (Pow(..,3)), but still shows the old formula (Pow(..,2)) in the cell. Also, I turned all filters off in VisualStudio and I''m still not seeing the Class Reference. Even in the StartMenu, Class Reference, I get a blank help index and contents (w/ no filter). I installed the GridEvaluation 2.051.

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team July 17, 2004 04:36 PM UTC

Have you set the CellValueType of that cell to a typeof(double)? If so, that would explain this problem. Cells of CellType "FormulaCell" cannot be set to double CellValueType. The reason is teh cell contains a text formula. So, try removing this setting if you have it. If this is not the problem, can you attach a smaple showing it? I could not see it in teh sample I tried. Regarding the classreference, so you only downloaded the Grid eval and not the full suite eveail. That may be why you cannot see the class reference. I will have to check with our install team on Monday to see if that is the case. You can look in the Program Files\Syncfusion\Essential Suite\2.0.5.1\Help folder, in the full install, there should be about 3 dozen help type files. Among them is RegNameSpace.bat which you can run to try to re-register the help and expose it in Visual Studio.

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team July 18, 2004 08:04 PM UTC

The grid eval does not include the class reference. To get that, you would have to download and install the full suite evaluation.

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon