We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

GridHierarchy

i have two tables and two views attached to those tables i have made a relation b/w tables now if i set parent table''s view to grid its fine but when i set the child table''s view as datasource, the plus sign doesnt go .. it stays how do i remove it?

10 Replies

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team June 23, 2004 09:10 AM UTC

When you set the child view to be the grid''s datasource, try calling this.gridDataBoundGrid1.Binder.ResetHierarchyLevels(); to see if that makes a difference.

M. M.F.K. June 23, 2004 09:45 AM UTC

I already tried that besides that I need further help I have 7 cols in parent table and 6 in child i have set 7 grid bound cols in the grid when parent view is there, its ok but on child i want that extra col to be invisible and show up again on parent view >When you set the child view to be the grid''s datasource, try calling > >this.gridDataBoundGrid1.Binder.ResetHierarchyLevels(); > >to see if that makes a difference.

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team June 23, 2004 12:03 PM UTC

Exactly what are you trying to do? Are you trying to display parent-child relation in the grid like the grid\samples\DataBound\Hierarchy\ExpandGrid sample? If so, you do not set the grid''s DataSource to be the Child. Or, are you trying to dynamically show the parent table in a grid, and then show a filtered view on the child table in the same grid? This would not be an expand-grid type set up. You would not use grid.Binder.AddRelations in this case. This would be more of a master-details set up. If you will explain what you are trying to accomplish (or provide a sample),maybe we can suggest something.

M. M.F.K. June 24, 2004 07:16 AM UTC

Yes u got it ... I am trying this "Master-Details" as u said. Could u tell me more abt it? and how to accomplish it? >Exactly what are you trying to do? > >Are you trying to display parent-child relation in the grid like the grid\samples\DataBound\Hierarchy\ExpandGrid sample? If so, you do not set the grid''s DataSource to be the Child. > >Or, are you trying to dynamically show the parent table in a grid, and then show a filtered view on the child table in the same grid? This would not be an expand-grid type set up. You would not use grid.Binder.AddRelations in this case. This would be more of a master-details set up. > >If you will explain what you are trying to accomplish (or provide a sample),maybe we can suggest something.

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team June 24, 2004 07:41 AM UTC

There is a section in the grid''s User''s Guide(Grid OverView - GridDataBoundGrid Use cases) describing how to set up two Mater-Detail grids. Here is a minimal sample. There is another techniquer discussed in this forum thread that may be of use in particular cases. http://www.syncfusion.com/Support/Forums/message.aspx?MessageID=9622

M. M.F.K. June 24, 2004 07:53 AM UTC

You said Master-Details was how to set it up in 1 grid yet u sent the sample which had 2 grids. I want help regarding how to set it up in the same grid ( using hierarchy or otherwise) >There is a section in the grid''s User''s Guide(Grid OverView - GridDataBoundGrid Use cases) describing how to set up two Mater-Detail grids. >Here is a minimal sample. > >There is another techniquer discussed in this forum thread that may be of use in particular cases. http://www.syncfusion.com/Support/Forums/message.aspx?MessageID=9622 > >

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team June 24, 2004 08:19 AM UTC

Replace the formload in that sample with this formload. private void Form1_Load(object sender, System.EventArgs e) { DataTable parentTable = GetParentTable(); DataTable childTable = GetChildTable(); DataSet ds = new DataSet(); ds.Tables.AddRange(new DataTable[]{parentTable, childTable}); DataRelation parentToChild = new DataRelation("ParentToChild", parentTable.Columns["parentID"], childTable.Columns["ParentID"]); ds.Relations.AddRange(new DataRelation[]{parentToChild}); this.gridDataBoundGrid1.DataSource = parentTable; this.gridDataBoundGrid1.Binder.AddRelation("ParentToChild"); }

M. M.F.K. June 25, 2004 01:34 AM UTC

Cool, thx. Now I want to extend this by being able to show the child as datasource instead of parent on any event (for e.g. button click) and vice versa. How do i remove the plus sign if the child is the data source? >Replace the formload in that sample with this formload. > > >private void Form1_Load(object sender, System.EventArgs e) >{ > DataTable parentTable = GetParentTable(); > DataTable childTable = GetChildTable(); > DataSet ds = new DataSet(); > ds.Tables.AddRange(new DataTable[]{parentTable, childTable}); > DataRelation parentToChild = new DataRelation("ParentToChild", parentTable.Columns["parentID"], childTable.Columns["ParentID"]); > ds.Relations.AddRange(new DataRelation[]{parentToChild}); > this.gridDataBoundGrid1.DataSource = parentTable; > this.gridDataBoundGrid1.Binder.AddRelation("ParentToChild"); >} >

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team June 25, 2004 06:40 AM UTC

I do not understand what you mean by the child table being the grid''s DataSource. The child Table is not set to be grid''s datasource in the above code to display the parent-child combination in a single grid. Can you modify the sample to show what you are trying to do when you use the childtable as the datasource for the grid?

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team June 25, 2004 09:56 AM UTC

Try these button handlers (after making some of teh local variables into class level members.)
private void button2_Click(object sender, System.EventArgs e)
{  //set child table
	this.gridDataBoundGrid1.BeginUpdate();
	this.gridDataBoundGrid1.DataSource = null;
	this.gridDataBoundGrid1.DataMember = "";
	this.gridDataBoundGrid1.Binder.ResetHierarchyLevels();
	this.gridDataBoundGrid1.DataSource = this.childTable;
	this.gridDataBoundGrid1.EndUpdate();
}

private void button1_Click(object sender, System.EventArgs e)
{//set parent table
	this.gridDataBoundGrid1.BeginUpdate();
	this.gridDataBoundGrid1.DataSource = null;
	this.gridDataBoundGrid1.DataMember = "";
	this.gridDataBoundGrid1.DataSource = this.parentTable;
	this.gridDataBoundGrid1.Binder.AddRelation("ParentToChild");
	this.gridDataBoundGrid1.EndUpdate();
}

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon