We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

Question about Grid's JSON processing capabilities

Dear all, 

I have a question about the JSON processing capabilities of the Syncfusion Grid component (EJS / EJ2). I would like to display the contents of a JSON file in the Grid. The JSON file is the result of an API-call. I followed the instructions presented in the documentation, also taking into account this article here in the community forum. I created the following helper method for converting the JSON file:

public static object DeserializeJson(string jsonInput){
if (jsonInput == null) throw new ArgumentNullException(nameof(jsonInput));
var obj = JsonConvert.DeserializeObject<object>(anotherJsonTest);
return obj;
}

The grid is on the Index.cshtml page, using the following code:

<div class="grid-view">
            @Html.EJS().Grid("Grid").DataSource((IEnumerable<object>)ViewBag.DataSource).Height(500).Render()
        </div>

After some disappointing errors, I considered using a less intricate JSON file to be passed to both the conversion method and the grid. Using the following sample lead to a proper display of items.

[
  {
    "_id": {
      "$oid": "5968dd23fc13ae04d9000001"
    },
    "product_name": "sildenafil citrate",
    "supplier": "Wisozk Inc",
    "quantity": 261,
    "unit_cost": "$10.47"
  },
  {
      "$oid": "5968dd23fc13ae04d9000002"
    },
    "product_name": "Mountain Juniperus ashei",
    "supplier": "Keebler-Hilpert",
    "quantity": 292,
    "unit_cost": "$8.74"
  },
  {
      "$oid": "5968dd23fc13ae04d9000003"
    },
    "product_name": "Dextromathorphan HBr",
    "supplier": "Schmitt-Weissnat",
    "quantity": 211,
    "unit_cost": "$20.53"
  }
]

I know that the grid appears to be working, however, reverting back to actual the JSON file I intended to process in the beginning, nothing was displayed in the grid. I checked the console in the Browser (Google Chrome) for errors and found the following error message:

constants.js:93 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'matrix' of undefined
    at e.onFocus (constants.js:93)

Considering the above error message, I was wondering if there were processing limitations regarding the complexity (level of dimensions) of the JSON file passed to the grid. What is the exact meaning behind the error message above and how can I avoid this.

Are there any alternatives I could apply to display the information contained in complex JSON files in the grid.

It would be grand if you could provide some insight into this matter.

Thanks a mil in advance. Please do get in touch if you require additional information.

Kind regards
C.

3 Replies

PS Pavithra Subramaniyam Syncfusion Team December 5, 2019 06:22 AM UTC

Hi Chris, 

Thanks for contacting us. 

We have analyzed your query. While Grid columns are not defined it will autogenerate the columns. You can define columns and enable paging to handle large amount of data without performance degradation. Also we suggest you to bind actionFailure event for the Grid to know the cause of Failure in Grid actions. 

Code example: 

@Html.EJS().Grid("check").DataSource((IEnumerable<object>)ViewBag.DataSource).AllowPaging().Columns(col => 
{ 
   col.Field("ProductID").HeaderText("Product ID").Width("120").TextAlign(Syncfusion.EJ2.Grids.TextAlign.Right).Add(); 
   col.Field("ProductName").HeaderText("Product Name").Width("150").Add(); 
   col.Field("UnitPrice").HeaderText("Supplier ID").Width("130").TextAlign(Syncfusion.EJ2.Grids.TextAlign.Right).Add(); 
   col.Field("UnitsInStock").HeaderText("QuantityPerUnit").Width("120").TextAlign(Syncfusion.EJ2.Grids.TextAlign.Right).Add(); 
col.Field("Discontinued").HeaderText("Discontinued").Width("140").TextAlign(Syncfusion.EJ2.Grids.TextAlign.Center).Type("boolean").DisplayAsCheckBox(true).Add(); 

}).ActionFailure("actionFailure").Render() 

<script> 
    function actionFailure(args) { 
        console.log(args); 
    } 
</script> 

https://ej2.syncfusion.com/aspnetmvc/documentation/grid/paging/#paging 

If you still faced the issue, could you please share the json in a text file to validate our end. 

Regards, 
Pavithra S. 

CR CR December 9, 2019 02:02 PM UTC

Dear Pavithra, 

Thanks a mil for your reply and your suggestions. I would like to let you know that at least this issue has been resolved. The overall structure of the JSON was changed and simplified (less branches). With the less intricate structure, I managed to display the data contained in the JSON file in the grid view as planned. 

Kind regards

Chris

PS Pavithra Subramaniyam Syncfusion Team December 10, 2019 04:53 AM UTC

Hi Chris, 

Thanks for you update. 

We are glad to know that you have managed to display the data. 

Please contact us if you have any concern. 

Regards, 
Pavithra S. 

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon