We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

What's the most performance efficient way to generate a large table

Hello.

For our use case we need to generate a PDF document that contains a really large number of rows in it. What I have tried is to convert our excel document to PDF which is taking around 50 seconds for around 3.5 thousand rows. Additionally I have tried to generate a PDF using PdfLightTable, but it gives similar results (without any formatting of the data 25 seconds and with formatting more). 

The question is a request for recommendation - how could I generate a very large PDF document (will turn out to be far more than 100 pages in the end at some times), with least amount of time consumption. 

P.S. this PDF document is being generated from a mobile device. 

Regards,
Paul

8 Replies

SL Sowmiya Loganathan Syncfusion Team October 30, 2019 05:29 PM UTC

Hi Paul, 

Thank you for using Syncfusion products.  

Currently we are trying to reproduce the reported issue in our end and we will update the further details on November 1st  2019. 

Regards, 
Sowmiya Loganathan 

GK Gowthamraj Kumar Syncfusion Team November 1, 2019 01:58 PM UTC

Hi Paul, 

We have tried to reproduce the mentioned issue. But we regret to let you know that we were unable to reproduce it when draw 3.5 thousand rows using PdfLightTable takes 25 seconds. Please find the below sample which we have tried in our end and it takes around 10 seconds,  

Please modified the sample to replicate the issue. Also please let us know the details of product version which you have used in your end. It will helpful for us to provide the precise solution on this. 

Regards, 
Gowthamraj K 

UN Unknown Syncfusion Team November 4, 2019 06:59 AM UTC

Hello.

I guess your colleague did not provide you with the document I have made? What we are doing is using the ConvertToPDF method to convert an Excel document to PDF in this case. The times to convert are rather slow even if generating an Excel is really quick. Additionally, on all 5 devices we have tried the numbers are very different. As I understand I am not allowed to publish such documents and it has already been forwarded to your colleague J.Whitfield. Maybe you could get the document from him, or I could send it to you directly?

Thank you for the sample code. We will now try using your suggested ways to see if there is any improvement. 

P.S. I have forgot to add that our PDF document instead of 3 columns like yours contains 12 columns. 

Regards,
Paul

SL Sowmiya Loganathan Syncfusion Team November 5, 2019 01:53 PM UTC

Hi Paulius,  

Queries 
Details 
What we are doing is using the ConvertToPDF method to convert an Excel document to PDF in this case. The times to convert are rather slow even if generating an Excel is really quick. Additionally, on all 5 devices we have tried the numbers are very different. As I understand I am not allowed to publish such documents and it has already been forwarded to your colleague J.Whitfield. Maybe you could get the document from him, or I could send it to you directly? 
Time taken for conversion depends on the documents and data present in it. We request you to share the Excel document generated at your end to Support@Syncfusion.com  which will be helpful for us to validate further from our side. 
I have forgot to add that our PDF document instead of 3 columns like yours contains 12 columns.  
We are validating the performance issue while converting Excel document with 3.5thousand rows and 3 columns and we will update further details by 7th November 2019. 

Regards, 
Sowmiya Loganathan 

SL Sowmiya Loganathan Syncfusion Team November 7, 2019 05:09 PM UTC

Hi Paulius, 

We are already reduce time taken for Excel to Pdf conversion from another task and we are checking the reported issue from that fix. Still Excel to pdf conversion time is reduced. So we will provide patch for 12 November 2019. 

Regards, 
Sowmiya Loganathan 

SL Sowmiya Loganathan Syncfusion Team November 12, 2019 01:21 PM UTC

Hi Paulius, 

We have created the customer assemblies for the issue “Reduce time taken for Excel to PDF conversion” and please find the downloaded link from below, 

Please try the above patch in your end and let us know the result.  

Regards, 
Sowmiya Loganathan 

PG Pon Geetha A J Syncfusion Team November 14, 2019 10:15 AM UTC

Hello, 

To begin with I would like to thank you for providing the new assembly files. The issue is the time difference we had. Since we here wanted to complete the feature quick it has now slightly changed. We are currently generating the .xslx file using XlsIo library and the generation of .pdf is mixed between the two, XlsIo and Pdf libraries. What I mean here is that we use the same methods that we use to generate excel to create charts and then native pdf methods to write pdflighttable type of pdf document. What we do is simply set the datasource of pdflighttable to our DataTable. The benchmarks by using current methods are attached to this email.  

Now back to the assemblies you have provided. Unfortunately the speed of conversion did not change by a noticeable margin. However, the size of the generated document actually grew by roughly 3.5 times. In a sense, since we later want to transfer our files using Bluetooth this just adds time to the process.  

Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Paulius Zukas

191031_pazu_PWS_Export_pdf_and_excel_benchmarks_dx1

SL Sowmiya Loganathan Syncfusion Team January 4, 2020 07:35 AM UTC

Hi Paul, 

We regret for the delay in getting back to you.  

To begin with I would like to thank you for providing the new assembly files. The issue is the time difference we had. Since we here wanted to complete the feature quick it has now slightly changed. We are currently generating the .xslx file using XlsIo library and the generation of .pdf is mixed between the two, XlsIo and Pdf libraries. What I mean here is that we use the same methods that we use to generate excel to create charts and then native pdf methods to write pdflighttable type of pdf document. What we do is simply set the datasource of pdflighttable to our DataTable. The benchmarks by using current methods are attached to this email.   
Could you please share the further details like are you converting Excel(contains table) to PDF or adding PdfLightTable in PDF document. If you are adding PdfLightTable to PDF document, what kind of issue you are facing in your end and please share us the benchmark for it (for using PdfLightTable). It will helpful for us to provide the precise solution on this.  
Now back to the assemblies you have provided. Unfortunately the speed of conversion did not change by a noticeable margin. However, the size of the generated document actually grew by roughly 3.5 times. In a sense, since we later want to transfer our files using Bluetooth this just adds time to the process. 
We are sorry for sharing improper custom assemblies in our last update. We have generated new assemblies for the fix through which the mentioned increase in file size will be resolved.The custom assemblies can be downloaded from the following link.  

Custom Assemblies:   

Kindly try these assemblies and let us know if the issue is resolved.  

Regards, 
Sowmiya Loganathan 

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon