We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Re: Word "Doc" file will not display...

Hello...

Admittedly, I am using an older version of Syncfusion's WPF Control Suite but according to all of the documentation and the Intellisense for the "SfRichTextBoxAdv" control, it will support the displaying of the older Microsoft Word ".doc" file format.

However, when I try to display such a file from my database, all I get is a grayed out display area in my WPF form where the "SfRichTextBoxAdv" control displays a document.

I have no trouble displaying Microsoft ".docx" files with this control.

Could this be an issue with my older control suite, which has been fixed in the later versions, or is this an issue that still needs to be addressed?

Thank you...

10 Replies

SN Steve Naidamast September 24, 2019 03:50 PM UTC

I tried a second Word ".doc" file out of curiosity and that one displayed just fine.

And yet I can find no issues with the first document that uploaded successfully but would not display.

Very odd...

PS Premkumar Sundaramoorthy Syncfusion Team September 25, 2019 09:13 AM UTC

Hi Steve, 

SfRichTextBoxAdv control supports importing both doc and docx file format. We have tried loading some doc files in our control, but we couldn’t reproduce the reported issue and suspect this issue only occurs on importing specific document. So, kindly share your .doc file and simple sample to reproduce reported issue.Because, It will helps us to provide you the appropriate solution at the earliest.   

Regards, 
Premkumar 

SN Steve Naidamast September 30, 2019 10:13 PM UTC

Hello...

I have tested several other Word documents and am still finding idiosyncrasies with the displaying of certain documents with the SfRichTextBoxAdv control...

I have uploaded for your review two documents in zip-file format.

The document titled, "The Broken Presidential Destiny of JFK - Part I", was cut and pasted from a news site I regularly read.  It has all of the original formatting that was copied over from that site, minus the pictures.  When this document is loaded into the control for display, only part of the document is loaded.

The document titled, "The Broken Presidential Destiny of JFK - NO FORMATTING", is the same document without any of the original formatting, which was removed simply by copying the first document into a text editor and t hen back into a Word document.  The entirety of this document is displayed when loaded into the control for display.

I suspect that part of the problem is that the SfRichTextBoxAdv control cannot recognize certain types of formatting within a document, cutting the display of the document off when it reaches a formatting section in the document the control cannot interpret correctly.

Would upgrading to the latest version of the WPF control suite resolve these issues?

Thank you for any help you can provide towards rectifying this situation.

Attachment: TestDocs_597976a9.zip

PS Premkumar Sundaramoorthy Syncfusion Team October 1, 2019 07:19 AM UTC

Hi Steave, 

We were able to reproduce the reported issue part of the document alone rendered on loading and suspect this to be a defect. We will update you with further details on October 4th, 2019. 

Regards, 
Premkumar 

SN Steve Naidamast October 1, 2019 01:37 PM UTC

Premkumar:

Thank you very much for your very timely reply.

I had been hoping that maybe what was needed was either the upgrade to the latest version of the WPF Control Suite or a configuration setting.

In any event, I look forward to hearing from you regarding your analysis of this issue.

Steve Naidamast   :-)

PS Premkumar Sundaramoorthy Syncfusion Team October 2, 2019 03:16 AM UTC

Hi Steve, 

We are facing this issue in our latest release version (17.0.3.9 beta) also. So, upgrading to latest version is not resolve this issue. As we said earlier, we will analyze about this issue and get back to you with further details on October 4th, 2019.  

Regards, 
Premkumar  

PS Premkumar Sundaramoorthy Syncfusion Team October 4, 2019 11:30 AM UTC

Hi Steve, 

We were confirmed this issue as defect and logged defect report. We will fix this issue and provide you the patch on October 21st, 2019. 

Regards, 
Premkumar S 

SN Steve Naidamast October 4, 2019 03:00 PM UTC

Hi Premkumar:

Thank you for keeping me updated on this issue.

By the way, can you explain what the problem was with the "SfRichTextBoxAdv" control that caused it to fail to recognize certain formatting in a document.

With warm regards,
   Steve Naidamast

PS Premkumar Sundaramoorthy Syncfusion Team October 7, 2019 06:30 AM UTC

Hi Steve, 

Here the problem is there is a hyperlink in that document which contains image in display text part. Which is not supported in our control. So, the document rendering is skipped after this hyperlink field is encountered. 
As we said earlier we will fix this issue and provide you the patch on October 21st, 2019 

Regards, 
Premkumar 

PS Premkumar Sundaramoorthy Syncfusion Team October 21, 2019 04:45 PM UTC

Hi Steve

Thank you for your patience, 

We have fixed the issue part of the document alone rendered on loading and the patch can be downloaded from the following location.   

Recommended approach - exe will perform automatic configuration
Please find the patch setup from below location:
http://syncfusion.com/Installs/support/patch/17.3.0.14/385594/F147804/SyncfusionPatch_17.3.0.14_385594_10212019100931093_F147804.exe

Advanced approach – use only if you have specific needs and can directly replace existing assemblies for your build environment
Please find the patch assemblies alone from below location:
http://syncfusion.com/Installs/support/patch/17.3.0.14/385594/F147804/SyncfusionPatch_17.3.0.14_385594_10212019100931093_F147804.zip

NuGet Packages:
http://syncfusion.com/Installs/support/patch/17.3.0.14/385594/F147804/SyncfusionNuget_17.3.0.14_385594_10212019100931093_F147804.zip

Assembly Version: 17.3.0.14
Installation Directions :
This patch should replace the files “Syncfusion.DocIO.Base.dll” under the following folder.
$system drive:\ Files\Syncfusion\Essential Studio\$Version # \precompiledassemblies\$Version#\4.0
Eg : $system drive:\Program Files\Syncfusion\Essential Studio\ 17.3.0.14\precompiledassemblies\ 17.3.0.14\4.0

To automatically run the Assembly Manager, please check the Run assembly manager checkbox option while installing the patch. If this option is unchecked, the patch will replace the assemblies in precompiled assemblies’ folder only. Then, you will have to manually copy and paste them to the preferred location or you will have to run the Syncfusion Assembly Manager application (available from the Syncfusion Dashboard, installed as a shortcut in the Application menu) to re-install assemblies.

Note:
To change how you receive bug fixes, ask your license management portal admin to change your project’s patch delivery mode.
https://www.syncfusion.com/account/license

Disclaimer:
Please note that we have created this patch for version 17.3.0.14 specifically to resolve the issue reported in the forum 147804

If you have received other patches for the same version for other products, please apply all patches in the order received.

This fix will be included in our 2019 Volume 3 SP1 release which will be available at end of October, tentatively.

Please let us know if you have any other questions. 

Regards, 
Premkumar

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon