We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

So many problems on UWP with SfCombobox

Hi

I am coming across multiple issues every 10 minutes or so trying to get the SfComboBox to behave itself on UWP, i havent
come across any control in any language that is as rotten as this one is and im struggling to fix any of them. some are so intermittent
i cant even describe them, and searching for them on the web is proving useless

i accept there are things i may be doing incorrectly, however cant be too far out as it all works perfect on android

as i say, The issues i mention below ONLY HAPPEN ON UWP

i use INPC and an observable collection

private ObservableCollection<DbJob> _jobList;
      public ObservableCollection<DbJob> JobList
      {
         get { return _jobList; }
         set { _jobList = value; }
      }

i have tried both async and non-async methods but it just wont play ball with either

i want a simple 2 column dropdown & the xaml is as follows

<sfinputLayout:SfTextInputLayout
                  Margin="5,-5,0,0"
                  Grid.Row="2" Grid.Column="0" Grid.ColumnSpan="3"
                  ShowHelperText="False"
                  ContainerType="Outlined"
                  Hint="Select A Job">

<sfcombobox:SfComboBox
                     HeightRequest="50"
                     WidthRequest="800"
                     DataSource="{Binding JobList}"
                     DisplayMemberPath="Name"
                     HorizontalOptions="StartAndExpand"
                     SelectedItem="{Binding SelectedJob, Mode=TwoWay}">

<sfcombobox:SfComboBox.ItemTemplate>
                        <DataTemplate>
                           <StackLayout Orientation="Horizontal" Padding="5,0,0,0">
                              <Label Text="{Binding Code}" WidthRequest="50" VerticalTextAlignment="Center"/>
                              <Label Text="{Binding Name}" VerticalTextAlignment="Center"/>
                           </StackLayout>
                        </DataTemplate>
                     </sfcombobox:SfComboBox.ItemTemplate>

</sfcombobox:SfComboBox>
               </sfinputLayout:SfTextInputLayout>

just some of the stuff i have come across are the following

ISSUE #1

if i dont have the WidthRequest in, it chops the text off so its only about 20% of the width of the control at a guess. this is not needed in android, it works ok without

ISSUE #2

it takes 2 clicks on the down arrow to open it up the first time you click it

ISSUE #3

i can't set my datasource using an async method, i have to do it in the constructor. this i can live with, however when i come to add items to the list
or rebuild the list later it either wipes it all out or if i just do a simple:

JobList.Add(new DbJob { Code = 123, Name = "BOOBY PRIZE" });

it's either added to the list but blank (shows an empty line) or doesnt add it at all

if i try repeat it, it either adds another blank line (the data is there in the list) or just doesnt add the second occurance

sometimes the whole list is blank, but its the correct height for the number of items the list contains, the lines are just invisible

ISSUE #4

sometimes if i select an item in the list, then refresh the list by clearing it and re-adding items, it still leaves the last item
i selected highlighted in the list, even though the list was cleared, items re-added and the SelectedItem has changed

i am not setting the list to null.

i just dont know where to go with this control on UWP, this has been a wasted day after getting it working so easily on android, so any
advice would be good

thanks

Bob

5 Replies

MK Muneesh Kumar G Syncfusion Team September 3, 2019 01:46 PM UTC

Hi Bob Needham, 

Query 1: If WidthRequest is not given selected text is cropped. 

We have analyzed the reported issue with given code snippet from our side. We can resolve this issue in sample level by removing the HorizontalOptions property set in SfComboBox, after that the selected text will not getting cropped.  

We have prepared the sample for your reference. Please try the attached below sample and let us know if you have any concern on this.  

Code snippet: 
  <combobox:SfComboBox  HeightRequest="50" 
                                  SelectedItem="{Binding SelectedItem,Mode=TwoWay}" 
                                  DisplayMemberPath="Name"  
                                  DataSource="{Binding EmployeeCollection}"> 

Query 2: It takes 2 clicks on the down arrow to open it up the first time you click it 

Currently we are validating this. We will update you the status of this on or before 6 AM CST September 5th, 2019. We appreciate your patience until then.    

Query 3: The suggestion box is blank, but it’s the correct height for the number of items the list contains, the lines are just invisible. 
Query 4: The selected item highlighted in the list, after the list was cleared, items re-added and the SelectedItem has changed. 

We have analyzed the reported issue with given code snippet. But we are unable to reproduce the reported issue in our end. We have prepared the simple sample with given code snippet.  

Please check with below attached sample. Can you please provide the replication step and modify the sample with the issue reproducing sample? which will be helpful for us to analyze further and provide an appropriate solution. 

Sample Link: 

Regards,   
Muneesh Kumar G  

BN Bob Needham September 3, 2019 04:44 PM UTC

Hi

Please find the attached project - it is easy to replicate

i include a graphic file in the folder named it SFComboIssues.jpg to show the android version for comparison and two erroring UWP shots

click the button i added to add a new item and you will see what i mean when you look in the combo, it adds as a blank line but clicking it selects the new name in the header part of the combo

the 3rd graphic along shows all the items blank but the last selected item is 'highlighted' - as much as you can highlight a blank item. this just seemed to happen sporadic and inconsistent, and i cant remember the exact order i pressed them or if it was after i upgraded the controls, but anyway it was there yesterday before i upgraded anyway.

when you click the down arrow part on UWP its really 'sticky', and clicking to the left of it works (but also not always first time either) you say you are going to look at this so im ok waiting

query 1 was resolved when i take the Horizontal option out, but uwp leaves a much bigger gap next to the down arrow button than the android version does, space that could be better used on a compact device to fit a few extra characters in

i also upgraded to the latest versions, but the problem was there before, at least with the second image across.

thanks

Bob

Attachment: ComboBox_Sample_Reply_c8348bfe.zip

KG Kanimozhi Gunasekaran Syncfusion Team September 6, 2019 03:49 PM UTC

Hi Bob Needham,

We are checking reported issue with high priority and will update you the status on September 12,2019. We appreciate your patience until then.

Regards,
Kanimozhi G

KG Kanimozhi Gunasekaran Syncfusion Team September 18, 2019 02:17 PM UTC

Hi Bob Needham,

Sorry for the delay.

Query 2: It takes 2 clicks on the down arrow to open it up the first time you click it
We have checked the reported issue and we are unable to reproduce the reported issue in our latest version from our side. Please use the latest version to resolve the issue and please confirm the issue has been fixed from your side.

Query 3: The suggestion box is blank, but it’s the correct height for the number of items the list contains, the lines are just invisible.
Query 4: The selected item highlighted in the list, after the list was cleared, items re-added and the SelectedItem has changed.

We are currently working on the above two issues with high priority. We will update the details of the issue on or before September 24, 2019.

Regards,
Kanimozhi G.

MK Muneesh Kumar G Syncfusion Team September 24, 2019 09:49 AM UTC

Hi Bob Needham, 

We have fixed below reported issues in SfComboBox. Please download the patch from the following location. 

Issues: 
1.The suggestion box is blank, but it’s the correct height for the number of items the list contains, the lines are just invisible.
2. The selected item highlighted in the list, after the list was cleared, items re-added and the SelectedItem has changed. 

Assembly Version: 17.2.0.46

Disclaimer:
Please note that we have created this patch for version 17.2.0.46 specifically to resolve the following issue reported in this incident. If you have received other patches for the same version for other products, please apply all patches in the order received.

This fix will be included in our upcoming weekly nuget release October 8, 2019.

Thanks, 
Muneesh Kumar G. 

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon