We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

Value not displaying in UPW when wrapping a SfNumericTextBox

I spent about 7 hours yesterday trying to figure out what was going wrong with the code below without success
what happens in UWP is that the value just displays as a '-' symbol wheras in android it works perfectly

if i just use the SfNumericTextBox on its own without wrapping it in the InputLayout it works fine, as does an 'Entry' wrapped by the InputLayout so
it just seems specific to this combination.

the documentation says you can do it, and i need the fuctionality of the TextInput wrapper to both make my controls all look consistent, as well as just
allowing numeric integer inputs, so can anyone please help.

im a newbie to syncfusion so maybe theres something ive missed but i cant figure out what, and after an initial blown away feeling that what i was seeing with syncfusion was quality, and different to what ive found elsewhere, i now have that 'here we go again' feeling that many things have the same buggy inconsistency that i see all over the place, so hope im wrong and it's me this time, as there are several other anomalies ive found, all within my first day of evaluating, but will stick to trying to solve this problem for now

note: i normally set the value via binding in the MVVM code behind like so: Value="{Binding PIN}" which works perfect in android, but also fails in UWP

thanks

Bob

<inputLayout:SfTextInputLayout
               x:Name="PINLayout"
                  ContainerType="Outlined"
                  Hint="PIN"
                  EnablePasswordVisibilityToggle="true"
                  HelperText="Enter Your PIN Number"
                  IsHintAlwaysFloated="False"
                  LeadingViewPosition="Outside">

<numberbox:SfNumericTextBox
                  x:Name="PIN2"
                  Value="1234"
                  Maximum="9999"
                  Minimum="0"
                  EnableGroupSeparator="False"
                  MaximumNumberDecimalDigits="0" />

<inputLayout:SfTextInputLayout.LeadingView>
                  <Label FontSize="Default"
                         Text="C"
                         VerticalTextAlignment="Center">
                     <Label.FontFamily>
                        <OnPlatform x:TypeArguments="x:String">
                           <On Platform="iOS" Value="MyClock" />
                           <On Platform="Android" Value="MyClock.ttf#MyClock" />
                           <On Platform="UWP" Value="/Assets/Fonts/MyClock.ttf#MyClock" />
                        </OnPlatform>
                     </Label.FontFamily>
                  </Label>
               </inputLayout:SfTextInputLayout.LeadingView>
            </inputLayout:SfTextInputLayout>

17 Replies

RA Rachel A Syncfusion Team July 26, 2019 12:30 PM UTC

Hi Bob, 

Greetings from Syncfusion. 

We have already considered as bug and fixed the reported issue. Please find the patch details below: 

Please find the patch setup from the below location.    

(OR) 

Please find the patch assemblies from the below location.    

(OR) 

Please find the NuGet from the below location.    

Assembly Version: 17.2.0.34 

Disclaimer:   
Please note that we have created this patch for version 17.2.0.34 specifically to resolve the following issue reported in this incident. If you have received other patches for the same version for other products, please apply all patches in the order received. 

Please check the reported issue with above provided NuGet and confirm us whether you can resolve this issue.  

Regards, 
Rachel. 

BN Bob Needham July 27, 2019 07:03 AM UTC

Hi Rachel

thanks for the prompt response, but im afraid the patch you sent me made absolutely no difference (i ran the exe  installer version). Afterwards i deleted the bin & obj folders in my UWP project just to be sure then rebuilt the project before testing.

One thing i noticed was that the date modified on the files you sent was 22/7/19, (which is BEFORE i reported the incident) and you mention a dedicated patch to resolve the issue, so thats confusing. i would have expected the date to be after.

I know the patch applied because checking my C:\Program Files (x86)\Syncfusion\Essential Studio\Xamarin\17.2.0.34\Xamarin\lib\uwp folder shows the 2 UWP files as modified on 22/7/19 when the others are on the 8/7/2019, its just that as i say, the bug is still there

i notice a nuget upgrade of 17.2.0.36 is available, would the fix have been included in that and should i download it, as my my local disk version is 34

regards

Bob

BN Bob Needham July 27, 2019 12:37 PM UTC

Hi

While you are fixing the first bug i reported, ive just found another, this time on both android and UWP. i cant say about iOS, but i expect that doesnt work either

if you wrap a SfNumericTextBox in a SfTextInputLayout, the EnablePasswordVisibilityToggle doesnt display. if you change the SfNumericTextBox to an 'Entry' it does.

regards

Bob

<inputLayout:SfTextInputLayout
                  Grid.Row="2" Grid.Column="0"
                  ContainerType="Outlined"
                  LeadingViewPosition="Inside"
                  Hint="PIN"
                  EnablePasswordVisibilityToggle="True">

<sfnumberbox:SfNumericTextBox
                     Value="{Binding PIN}"
                     Maximum="9999"
                     Minimum="0"
                     EnableGroupSeparator="False"
                     MaximumNumberDecimalDigits="0" />

<inputLayout:SfTextInputLayout.LeadingView>
                     <Label
                       Text="C"
                       FontFamily="{local:PlatformTtfFile}"
                       FontSize="Default"
                       VerticalTextAlignment="Center">
                     </Label>
                  </inputLayout:SfTextInputLayout.LeadingView>
               </inputLayout:SfTextInputLayout>

RA Rachel A Syncfusion Team July 29, 2019 10:22 AM UTC

Hi Bob, 

Query 1: UWP files as modified on 22/7/19 when the others are on the 8/7/2019, it’s just that as i say, the bug is still there 

As we have mentioned earlier, we have noticed the same issue and fixed in UWP platform before you have mentioned. So, the provided patch was already taken for the reported issue. Because of this reason the date in the assemblies are showing before the incident date you have created.  

Also, we have checked the issue with provided NuGet, and the entered value is visible in the SfNumericTextBox. Could you please crosscheck at your end by clearing the NuGet cache as mentioned in this link? 

Query 2: I notice a NuGet upgrade of 17.2.0.36 is available, would the fix have been included in that and should i download it, as my my local disk version is 34 

This fix is not included in the 17.2.0.36 version. We will include this fix in our next weekly NuGet release which is available on Aug 6th, 2019. Appreciate your patience until then. 

Query 3: EnablePasswordVisibilityToggle doesnt display. if you change the SfNumericTextBox to an 'Entry' it does. 

We have provided EnablePasswordVisibilityToggle support only for Entry. So, it will not visible for other supported input views. Please check the below link whether you may achieve your requirement using the below link? 

Please let us know if you need further assistance on this. 

Regards, 
Rachel. 

BN Bob Needham July 29, 2019 04:52 PM UTC

Hi Rachel

thanks for the help and i *think* clearing the cache worked, however i kept getting the error below, and assumed it was related, (and it may be), HOWEVER the unhandled exception below seems to be thrown when you have a xamarin SfCombobox on the page and attempt to view it in the UWP project.

Exception thrown: 'Windows.UI.Xaml.Markup.XamlParseException' in Syncfusion.Core.XForms.UWP.dll
Exception thrown: 'Windows.UI.Xaml.Markup.XamlParseException' in Xamarin.Forms.Platform.UAP.dll

to be sure it wasnt just me i tried loading your syncfusion SampleBrowser.SfComboBox example and that too bombs out with this same error when trying to load the sample application, so im as sure as i can be it isnt me, as my sfcombobox works perfectly well in my android app.

it didnt do this before i cleared the cache, and only this morning i had that sample combobox project working on UWP

i also have another issue whereby trying to put a SfSwitch in a grid cell and the grid column has a percentage width instead of an absolute width, screws up the whole grid height, but if that doesnt ring a bell i'll give an example later on another thread if you want - i only wasted 4hrs figuring that one out yesterday ~).

regards

Bob

BN Bob Needham July 30, 2019 03:59 PM UTC

Hi

grrr 2nd time ive had to repost because it didnt work, im beginning to wonder about syncfusion...

any news on my latest reply please, i cant deploy my app on UWP for testing having invested so much time swapping from the boring but functional xamarin standard controls to the prettier but problematic Sf ones so i need to know what's what regarding the UWP xamarin forms sfcombobox

thanks

Bob

MK Muneesh Kumar G Syncfusion Team July 30, 2019 06:15 PM UTC

Hi Rachel 

Thanks for the update. 

We have analyzed your query and, but we are unable to get exact problem in this. Can you please update us whether the grid cell you mentioned is SfDataGrid control or Xamarin Forms Grid layout? 

Because SfDataGrid control itself has GridSwitchColumn which helps you to use switch inside the grid cell also i have attached the kb link for using switch inside grid cell in SfDataGrid. Please elaborate your exact scenario which helps us to provide clean solution on this. Please find the KB link from the below.

Link : https://help.syncfusion.com/xamarin/sfdatagrid/column-types#gridswitchcolumn

Regards,   
Muneesh Kumar G.   

PR Padmini Ramamurthy Syncfusion Team July 31, 2019 06:50 AM UTC

Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2019 1:57 AM
To: Syncfusion Support <support@syncfusion.com>
Subject: RE: Syncfusion support community forum 146291, Value not displaying in UPW when wrapping a SfNumericTextBox, has been updated.

Hi Muneesh 

The SfSwitch is hosted in a xamarin forms grid 

If I set my grid to have a 70/30 percentage split such as 7* in col 0 and 3* in col1 then that’s when it enlarges the xamarin forms grid to a crazy unpredictable height 
Which seems to get worse the more switches you have 

Through trial and error I eventually found The below snippet works but is no good for me long term as I need to run on many devices, font sizes etc so I  
Limit using absolute values wherever I can 

<Grid.ColumnDefinitions> 
                  <ColumnDefinition Width="*" /> 
                  <ColumnDefinition Width="135" /> 
               </Grid.ColumnDefinitions> 

But this does not 

<!-- grid height messes up if you use a percentage split and have an SfSwitch in col 2 cell --> 
               <Grid.ColumnDefinitions> 
                  <ColumnDefinition Width="7*" /> 
                  <ColumnDefinition Width="3*" /> 
               </Grid.ColumnDefinitions> 

As far as using an sf grid goes, thanks for the info & I will investigate it and TBH I never even checked for such an entity as the 
Syncfusion  sample projects ive been playing with for text boxes, pickers, combo’s etc all seem to use a standard  
Xamarin forms grid, so I just assumed that was the way to do it, although the switch control Itself if pretty identical 
so I changed from a standard xamarin to sf for control consistency 

I will have a play with the sf grid when I get chance and get back if needed, however my most pressing issue is that I cant deploy my app on UWP because 
Of the recently introduced issues with the combobox as reported, so I would like some sort of update on that please 

Regards 

Bob 

MK Muneesh Kumar G Syncfusion Team July 31, 2019 10:37 AM UTC

Hi Bob, 

Thanks for your update. 

We have ensured your code snippet from our side and we would like to inform you that SfSwitch always keep placing in center of the layout. So we are unable to get your exact problem in grid layout.    

Both the code snippets are behaving same from our side and by default. Can you please provide the issue reproducing sample or entire code snippet or screenshots or video representation which will be more helpful for us to make a step ahead on this issue. 

Thanks,   
Muneesh Kumar G.   

BN Bob Needham July 31, 2019 11:39 AM UTC

Hi

plz find attached

a graphic from left to right

1) using absolute col width value of 135
2) 70/30 split
3) 60/40 split

i have coloured the grid beige so you can see how it gets enlarged when u use a percentage

i have attached the 3 pages that make up the settings, the xaml, the code behind and the viewmodel

if you cant reproduce it from those i dont know how i can better prove it to you

regards

Bob

Attachment: SfSwitchIssue_67b701a9.zip

MK Muneesh Kumar G Syncfusion Team August 1, 2019 01:27 PM UTC

Hi Bob, 

We have also developed the UI as per the code file provided in the last update. We are afraid we could not reproduce the same. Please have the sample from the below link, 

Please check with the sample and if the issue still persists please modify the sample with issue reproducing sample which will be helpful for us to analyze further and provide an appropriate solution. 

Thanks,   
Muneesh Kumar G.   

BN Bob Needham August 1, 2019 02:36 PM UTC

Hi Muneesh

i appreciate you taking the time to look at this and was gobsmacked to see your sample working as it should after i had spent so long on it ~), but noticed you were using old versions of nuget packages.

To replicate my issue just upgrade your nugets to the latest versions

its xamarin.forms thats the culprit i believe. im running 4.1.0.618606, your sample used 3.4

regards

Bob

MK Muneesh Kumar G Syncfusion Team August 5, 2019 12:19 PM UTC

Hi Bob, 

Thanks for your update.  

Currently we are validating this. We will update you the status of this on or before tomorrow August 6th, 2019 EOD. We appreciate your patience until then.   

Thanks,    
Muneesh Kumar G.    

BN Bob Needham August 6, 2019 01:09 PM UTC

Hi Muneesh

i have just tested v17.2.0.40 which is presumably the release you are talking about, and can confirm this still does NOT work on UWP

Rachel sent me a pre-release patch of 17.2.0.34 10 days ago where the problem WAS fixed, so im having trouble understanding why it still isnt
included in official releases

regards

Bob

MK Muneesh Kumar G Syncfusion Team August 8, 2019 06:34 AM UTC

Hi Bob, 

Racheal provided fix not moved in this week nuget release. It will be included in August 13th, 2019 release.  

Also, for SfSwitch layout rendering problem, we have logged the feature report for reported Xamarin Forms in Android SfSwitch.  

If you have any more specification/suggestions to the feature request, you can add it as a comment in the portal.  

And this feature will be available in August 27th, 2019 weekly nuget release. 

Thanks, 
Muneesh Kumar G. 

BN Bob Needham August 8, 2019 07:02 AM UTC

Hi Muneesh

thanks for keeping me upto date

regards

Bob

MK Muneesh Kumar G Syncfusion Team August 8, 2019 08:44 AM UTC

Hi Bob,  

Please let us know if you have any other queries.  

Thanks, 
Muneesh Kumar G. 

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon