We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

Can't edit Empty cells or Cells that numeric

First serious application using the GridGroupingControl.  I put this control on the page, spent a couple of days getting the data and the look...and then tried to get the editing working.  Yes, editing is enabled for everything and everyplace I could find.

As for text fields I have an "Address1" and "Address2" field.  Identical in every way for both looks and settings.  I populate it from my query.  If I click in the populated Address1 field I can edit to my hearts content.  If I click in the empty Address2 field, nothing.  Can't type, can't insert spaces, nothing.

Then I got to my Zipcode, Phone and Fax fields.  Zipcode populated with a 5 digit zip - nada.  I can click in it but can't edit, can't delete, can't change.  Same for my phone and fax fields regardless if they are empty or not. 

So
  • text fields with data are fine
  • text fields that are empty are hosed
  • numeric fields are hosed.
Next step was, "Well, maybe I have something screwed up in my setting that I did".  So I dropped a brand new GridGroupingControl on the page and populated with with the same data.  I didn't change, or even look at, any of the properties.  Plain, straight from the toolbox control

Did the same thing.  Column with text I could work with.  Empty text column or numeric fields were locked.  No entering, no nothing.

I am at a loss on this after 3 days and just can't believe it's this hard to use this control.  What setting or parameter or whatever am I missing that is keeping me from editing an empty text column or a column with numbers?

1 Reply

JP Jagadeesan Pichaimuthu Syncfusion Team July 18, 2019 12:54 PM UTC

Hi Mike, 

Thanks for using Syncfusion products. 

We suspect that you are taking the list as anonymous type while retrieving the data through queries and it will be a read only property when the type is anonymous. So that, the cell values may not be editing. The following MSDN documentation explains the same.  

Anonymous types provide a convenient way to encapsulate a set of read-only properties into a single object without having to explicitly define a type first. In order to avoid this read-only problem we suggest you to use a type to convert the list which enables to edit the cells. Please make use of the below code, 

Code example 
// Follwing will work since Type specified  
var lista = (from q in ds.OrdersListDetails  
            orderby q.ShipCountry  
            select new OrderInfo  
            {  
                CustomerID = q.CustomerID,  
                OrderDate = q.OrderDate,  
                ProductName = q.ProductName,  
                UnitPrice = q.UnitPrice,  
                ShipCountry = q.ShipCountry,  
                SampleData = q.SampleData  
            }).ToList<OrderInfo>();  

Please let us know, if we misunderstood your requirement. 

Regards, 
Jagadeesan 

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon