We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Filtering on column template

How can I use column filtering on a column that uses a column template?  I have a grid that uses templates to display multiple fields in one cell, for example Contact Name, Phone Number and Email.  I would like to use column filtering, but default filtering is a disabled text box.  I've tried writing a custom filter and using a filterBarTemplate.  Neither the Filter or the FilterBarTemplate even call the create method.

I've attached my grid and the typescript code for both my Filter and FilterBarTemplate.

Attachment: examples_cb6bd0b1.zip

3 Replies

TS Thavasianand Sankaranarayanan Syncfusion Team April 9, 2019 09:37 AM UTC

Hi Rebecca, 

Greetings from Syncfusion support. 

We have analyzed your requirement. Based on your requirement, we have prepared a sample for your convenience, please refer the link below, 

We suggest you to set the “field” property for the template column. To bind a filter bar template, please refer the documentation link below, 

template: ` 
    <div id="app"> 
        <ejs-grid id="Grid" ref="grid"  :dataSource="data" :allowFiltering='true' height='273px'> 
            <e-columns> 
                … 
                <e-column field='CustomerID' :template='cTemplate' width=120 :filterBarTemplate='templateOptions'></e-column>    //Specify the field property for template column. 
            </e-columns> 
        </ejs-grid>  
    </div> 
`, 

data() { 
        return { 
            cTemplate: function () { 
                return { 
                    template: Vue.component('columnTemplate', {           //Template containing values of multiple columns 
                        template: `<table><div>CustomerID : {{data.CustomerID}}</div><br> 
             <div>ShipCity : {{data.ShipCity}}</div><br> 
             <div>ShipCountry : {{data.ShipCountry}}</div></table>`, 
                        data: function () { 
                            return { 
                                data: {} 
                            } 
                        }, 
                    }) 
                } 
            }, 
            data: data, 
            templateOptions: { 
                create: function (args) { 
                    elem = document.createElement('input'); 
                    return elem; 
                }, 
                write: function (args) { 
                    dObj = new DropDownList({      //Bind the dropdown list to filter bar 
                        dataSource: data, 
                        fields: { text: "CustomerID" }, 
                        change: function (args) { 
                            var selVal = args.value; 
                            var grid = document.getElementById('Grid').ej2_instances[0]; 
                            grid.filterByColumn("CustomerID", "equal", selVal);     //Perform filter for the template column. 
                        } 
                    }); 
                    dObj.appendTo(elem); 
                }, 
            } 

Please get back to us if you need further assistance. 

Regards, 
Thavasianand S. 

RW Rebecca Wyman April 9, 2019 04:27 PM UTC

I was able to get that work, thank you.

I do have another question about filtering.  How can I hide the filter for certain columns?  For instance my grid has a command column and I would like to hide the filter option for that column.  It is disabled because it's not bound to a field, but being able to hide it would be better.  Thank you.

TS Thavasianand Sankaranarayanan Syncfusion Team April 10, 2019 07:06 AM UTC

Hi Rebecca, 

You can hide the filter bar cell for the particular column by using the “created” event of Grid component. In the “created” event handler you can fetch the element and hide that element. We are attaching the modified sample from our previous update, please find the sample link below, 

Please find the code example below, 

template: `  
    <div id="app">  
        <ejs-grid id="Grid" ref="grid" :created=created  :dataSource="data" :allowFiltering='true'>  
        </ejs-grid>   
    </div>  
`,  
.  .  .  
  },  
  methods:{  
     created: function(e) {  
       this.$refs.grid.ej2Instances.getHeaderTable().querySelector(".e-filterbarcell div").style.display = "none"   
    },      
  },  

Please get back to us if you need further assistance. 

Regards, 
Thavasianand S. 

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon