We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
If you became a customer of the Syncfusion Reporting Platform or the Report Viewer, Report Designer, or Report Writer components before October 2019 and have questions related to those products, you can request support through our forum system. However, please note that this support system is only for existing customers who are still using the Syncfusion Reporting Platform or its components and not for new customers looking for reporting products from Syncfusion.

For new customers or those with general reporting questions, we recommend contacting our support team at https://support.boldreports.com/, which is a separate brand created by Syncfusion for its reporting solutions. Our team will be happy to assist you with any questions you may have.

Thank you for choosing Syncfusion for your reporting needs.

Editing an existing dataset results in being shown the sql code window. Switching to the visual table designer window results in no tables being shown. Switching back to the sql code window also results in the sql code being lost.

Hi Team,

Problem Description:

Editing an existing dataset results in being shown the sql code window.  Switching to the visual table designer window results in no tables being shown.  Switching back to the sql code window also results in the sql code being lost.

Reproduction:

1)      In the syncfusion report server, select an existing and valid dataset (a dataset with selected tables) and click on the Edit option.

2)      Verify that the dataset-designer page is shown for the selected dataset in the sql code view with valid sql code.

3)      Click the slider for the code view.

4)      Verify that the visual designer view is empty.

5)      Click the slider for the code view.

6)      Verify that the sql code view no longer has the previously seen sql code.

Looking forward to see your response.

Regards,
Amanpreet

5 Replies

MM Mageshyadav M Syncfusion Team February 26, 2019 02:04 PM UTC

Hi Amanpreet, 

We have validated the mentioned issue at our end. This is our behavior, if you are switching the code view to design view for the existing dataset we will not maintain the changes hence we will ask for confirmation to switch anyway as shown below, 

If you click “Yes”, then your query will discard. If you click “No”, then your query will not discard and will be maintained as code view itself.  

Regards, 
Mageshyadav.M 

AM Amanpreet February 26, 2019 08:04 PM UTC

Hi team,

The replication steps have not been rightly done.

Please find the steps below -

If a valid data set is selected and right click the edit option.

If clicked yes , verify that visual designer is empty.

And sliding back to deselect code view gives the below output screen -

Please verify with the above replicated steps and let me know whether you are able to replicate or not.

Regards,
Amanpreet

MM Mageshyadav M Syncfusion Team February 27, 2019 09:29 AM UTC

Hi Amanpreet, 

As conveyed in our previous update, the mentioned case is our default behavior and it's not an issue. Actually, we have provided option to determine the table in design mode while moving to code view and generate the initial query in code view with the table name in design mode but you can change your table name in code view based on your needs hence we don’t support to determine the table name in code view while switching to design view. Due to this reason only we ask for confirmation "Switching to the visual designer will discard manual changes made to the query. Do you want to use the Visual Designer anyway?". Based on your replication you have clicked ‘Yes’ hence you cannot find the table in design mode which was used in code view. 

But in some cases you would have found table residing in design mode although switched from code mode, this case will arise when you have dragged any table in design mode before switching to code mode. This will be persisted until you click ‘Finish’ button only. Also you can find, we would have persisted the table you dragged and dropped in design mode lastly and not the table used in code view. Please find the video showcasing this case for better understanding. 

In your case, you have saved the Dataset in code view and editing the same hence the design mode state would not been saved initially based on mode you have chosen while saving. Now, you are trying to switch to design mode for edited Dataset hence you are finding empty area without any table. 

Please let us know, if you still need clarification on this. 

Regards, 
Mageshyadav.M 

AM Amanpreet February 28, 2019 05:33 PM UTC

Hi team,

Is it possible that when I edit a dataset , by default it opens in designer view or is it possible to incorporate the requirement I am trying to achieve being able to switch from code to designer view without loosing my edited changes. Because if I am editing a dataset , I am likely to see whether my changes reflect in the designer view as well I dnt want to loose the changes which I have made in code view.

Regards,
Amanpreet

MM Mageshyadav M Syncfusion Team March 1, 2019 03:19 PM UTC

Hi Amanpreet, 

We can't support to parse the table details from code view to design mode and only support to load the initial query of table available in design mode while switching to code mode. While clicking 'Finish' button, we can save the state of last mode chosen only and not both the modes. 

Regards, 
Mageshyadav.M 

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon