We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Named range and data validation on list

I need to create an excel file containing two cascading dropdowns list filled with dynamic data.

I'm wondering if with XlsIO it's possible:
  1.  to assign a name to a range
  2. Insert a data validation rule for allowing dropdown from a list
  3. create a second dropdown linked to the selection of the previous list
What I'd like to do, using entirely XlsIo and the dynamic datasource I have, is described here:
https://www.extendoffice.com/documents/excel/5301-excel-cascading-drop-down.html

Please note that the data that will fill both dropdowns is not known, it's dynamic, and it comes from a database always changing, so I don't know how many records I have for the first dropdown, and how many records for the second one.

4 Replies

MG Marco Giorgi February 11, 2019 12:21 PM UTC

found the solution as it was pretty well documented on the Syncfusion knowledge base:

https://www.syncfusion.com/kb/8367/how-to-create-a-dependent-dropdown-list-for-whole-column-in-excel-using-xlsio

//Defining the Named Range
IName lname1 = sheet.Names.Add("cities");
//Associate the name to the range
lname1.RefersToRange = sheet.Range[98,4,98,5];

Then create the validation as explained in the link above using for the second dropdown the function 
 =INDIRECT(A2)
or
 =INDIRECT(SUBSTITUTE(A2," ","")) if you have space in the text of the first named range

MG Marco Giorgi February 11, 2019 12:50 PM UTC

but there still a problem with the SCOPE of the named range

I define all the data in the sheet2.
When I use XLSIO to define the named range, using the code posted before, the scope is set to sheet2
When I do directly inside Excel, the scope is set to workbook
(To view the scope of the Name Manager, under the Formulas menu)

So, how can I set the scope of a named range?

MG Marco Giorgi February 11, 2019 01:13 PM UTC

found it, and it was very easy:
instead of   IName lname1 = sheet.Names.Add("cities");
let's use IName lname1 = myWorkbook.Names.Add("cities");

DB Dilli Babu Nandha Gopal Syncfusion Team February 12, 2019 07:18 AM UTC

Hi Marco, 

Greetings from Syncfusion. 

Yes, the followed approach is the right way to set named range to workbook and worksheet. To know more about named range please following the below link. 

Regards, 
Dilli babu. 

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon