We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
If you became a customer of the Syncfusion Reporting Platform or the Report Viewer, Report Designer, or Report Writer components before October 2019 and have questions related to those products, you can request support through our forum system. However, please note that this support system is only for existing customers who are still using the Syncfusion Reporting Platform or its components and not for new customers looking for reporting products from Syncfusion.

For new customers or those with general reporting questions, we recommend contacting our support team at https://support.boldreports.com/, which is a separate brand created by Syncfusion for its reporting solutions. Our team will be happy to assist you with any questions you may have.

Thank you for choosing Syncfusion for your reporting needs.

Angular Report Viewer with Azure functions backend

Hi,

I'm new to Report Platform and trying to figure out how to use it in my project, so any advice are welcome.
I have an Angular SPA frontend which calls my .NET Core based Azure Functions backend. I have to add reporting functionality to my application.
I saw a few Angular Report Viewer demos and have the following questions:
  1. Is it necessary to create a Web API to use the Report Viewer? (In other words: does the actual report processing happen on server side?)
  2. Can I use Azure Functions to create the Web API backend?
Thanks for your help!
Peter

5 Replies

MM Mageshyadav M Syncfusion Team January 23, 2019 10:47 AM UTC

Hi Peter, 

Please find the below response for your queries. 

Query 
Response 
  1. Is it necessary to create a Web API to use the Report Viewer? (In other words: does the actual report processing happen on server side?)

Yes, we need Web API to render the reports in ReportViewer. We have prepared the simple angular report viewer application with ASP.NET Core Web API and it can be downloaded from below location. 

1. Can I use Azure Functions to create the Web API backend?

Currently we don’t have option to use Azure functions for creating a Web API and we need time to validate the possibilities for providing the Web API with using Azure functions, and will get back to you later. 

Regards, 
Mageshyadav.M 

JP Jenei Péter January 23, 2019 11:21 AM UTC

Hi Mageshyadav,

Thank you for your answer!
The main problem I can think of using Azure Functions as a backend is the static nature of each function. When I create a .NET Core Web API implementing IReportController, the API operations (like GetResource) are instance-level methods. I can create the same API operations with Azure Functions, but those implementations would be class-level, static methods.

If the current implementation does not support using Azure Functions as a backend, I would suggest implementing it as a new feature in a future release. Using Azure Functions as a Web API backend for a serverless web application (like this reference architecture) makes sense in many scenarios.

Thank you again for your help!

Regards,
Peter

MM Mageshyadav M Syncfusion Team January 24, 2019 02:14 PM UTC

Hi Peter, 

Thank you for requesting this feature and helping us define it. We are always trying to make our products better and feature requests like yours are a key part of our product growth efforts. We have added this feature request to our database. You can now track the current status of this feature request here. 

At the planning stage for every release cycle, we review all open features and identify features for implementation based on specific parameters including product vision, technological feasibility, and customer interest. We will let you know when this feature is implemented. 

You can also communicate with us regarding the open features any time using our Feature Report page. 

Regards, 
Mageshyadav.M 

JP Jenei Péter January 25, 2019 10:24 AM UTC

Hi Mageshyadav,

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
Peter

MM Mageshyadav M Syncfusion Team January 25, 2019 11:01 AM UTC

Hi Peter, 

Thanks for your acknowledgement and we are glad to hear that we have provided proper clarification on your queries. 

Regards, 
Mageshyadav.M 

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon