We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon
If you became a customer of the Syncfusion Reporting Platform or the Report Viewer, Report Designer, or Report Writer components before October 2019 and have questions related to those products, you can request support through our forum system. However, please note that this support system is only for existing customers who are still using the Syncfusion Reporting Platform or its components and not for new customers looking for reporting products from Syncfusion.

For new customers or those with general reporting questions, we recommend contacting our support team at https://support.boldreports.com/, which is a separate brand created by Syncfusion for its reporting solutions. Our team will be happy to assist you with any questions you may have.

Thank you for choosing Syncfusion for your reporting needs.

Arabic PDF Export problem

Hello, 

I have a RDLC report which has Arabic text, when I try to Export the report to PDF, the arabic text is blank.

So I added the used font (Arial) to the PDFOptions.Fonts, the text is displayed, but each letter seperated and in the wrong direction.

in other products there is an option to set the RTL(right to left) option in code, but I don't see the same here.

PS: I tried both Reportviewer and ReportWrite, the output is the same.
PS2: the RDLC report already has everything set to RTL

Nuget packages used:

ASP.NET Core 2.2
Syncfusion.EJ.ReportViewer.AspNet.Core 16.3.0.29
Syncfusion.Compression.Net.Core 16.3.0.29
Syncfusion.Pdf.Net.Core 16.3.0.29

21 Replies

MM Mageshyadav M Syncfusion Team December 21, 2018 09:09 AM UTC

Hi Amro,  

Sorry for the delay. Please find the response for your queries. 

Query 
Response 
I have a RDLC report which has Arabic text, when I try to Export the report to PDF, the arabic text is blank. 

So I added the used font (Arial) to the PDFOptions.Fonts, the text is displayed, but each letter seperated and in the wrong direction. 

We are unable to reproduce the mentioned issue with your shared details at our end. We have tested Arabic report with Arabic font style in our essential studio (v 16.3.0.29), its working properly at our end. Please find the PDF export snap.  

Code snippet : 
reportOption.ReportModel.PDFOptions = new Syncfusion.ReportWriter.PDFOptions(); 
reportOption.ReportModel.PDFOptions.Fonts = new Dictionary<string, Stream>(StringComparer.OrdinalIgnoreCase); 
FileStream ttfStream = new FileStream(basePath + @"\ReportData\WPSI13N_.TTF", FileMode.Open, FileAccess.Read); 
reportOption.ReportModel.PDFOptions.Fonts.Add("WP Arabic Sihafa", ttfStream); 

Can you please confirm us the attached Arabic report and Arabic ttf file working at your end. If not, can you please share your report with TTF file for us to validate the issue cause further 

In other products there is an option to set the RTL(right to left) option in code, but I don't see the same here. 
Currently, we do not have support to achieve your requirement “RTL Option for TextBox Report Item on export to PDF“ but we have logged a feature request on this, and it can be tracked through our feedback portal below.   

Please cast your vote to make it count. We will prioritize the features every release based on the demands.   

If you have any more specification/suggestions to the feature request you can add it as a comment in the portal.   

Regards, 
Mageshyadav.M 

AO Amro Osama December 23, 2018 08:00 AM UTC

The Screenshot you attached does show that the letters are seperated and the order is reversed, which is exactly the problem

Please see the following sample:

(the word means test in arabic)
- This is what should be displayed:
تجربة

-This is what is actually displayed:
ة ب ر ج ت

I added spaces between the letters to mimic the displayed result, but in fact there are no spaces added.

Attached is a screenshot.

Attachment: Test_df0ba101.zip

MM Mageshyadav M Syncfusion Team December 24, 2018 08:38 AM UTC

Hi Amro, 

We are unable to find the exact letter which is rendered with spaces at our end by using Arabic TTF file (“WP Arabic Sihafa”) we shared. Can you please share your TTF file and RDLC report, it will be helpful for us to find the exact cause for issue at our end. 

Regards, 
Mageshyadav.M 

AO Amro Osama replied to Mageshyadav M December 26, 2018 07:17 AM UTC

Hi Amro, 

We are unable to find the exact letter which is rendered with spaces at our end by using Arabic TTF file (“WP Arabic Sihafa”) we shared. Can you please share your TTF file and RDLC report, it will be helpful for us to find the exact cause for issue at our end. 

Regards, 
Mageshyadav.M 

I've attached the following:

1- RDLC report.
2- 'Arial' and 'WP Arabic Sihafa' fonts, (Arial already exists in windows anyway).
3- PDF output of the report.

Attachment: Arabic_PDF_Test_2955dce3.zip

MM Mageshyadav M Syncfusion Team December 26, 2018 01:21 PM UTC

Hi Amro, 

Thanks for sharing the details. We were able to reproduce the mentioned invalid content issue at our end when using the Arabic content with Arial font and this fix changes will be included in our next weekly NuGet release and it is estimated to be available in 2nd week of January 2019. 

Regards, 
Mageshyadav.M 

AO Amro Osama December 26, 2018 02:33 PM UTC

That's good to hear,
Thank you very much.

I just want to clarify that this happens with any font, it's a text drawing/rendering problem, rather than a specific font problem.

But I guess you already know by now.

I hope that you give me an update when this becomes available, so I can test it.

Thanks.

MM Mageshyadav M Syncfusion Team December 31, 2018 08:54 AM UTC

Hi Amro, 

Thanks for your update. 

Next weekly nuget release will be available on January 8, 2019. You can check the fix changes on January 9, 2019. 

Regards, 
Mageshyadav.M 

AO Amro Osama February 11, 2019 07:38 AM UTC

The issue hasn't been fixed on Jan 8, nor on any followed updates.

Even the change log doesn't mention this bug.

Could you kindly check this?

Thanks.

MM Mageshyadav M Syncfusion Team February 12, 2019 01:44 PM UTC

Hi Amro, 

Sorry for the inconvenience. 

We missed to include this fix changes in our weekly nuget releases and we regret for promise failure. We will include this fix changes in our next weekly nuget release which will roll out on February 19, 2019. 

Regards, 
Mageshyadav.M 

AO Amro Osama February 12, 2019 01:48 PM UTC

No need to apologise,
Thank you for your support.

If possible also, there's another bug,

Vertical alignment of text is always ignored.

MM Mageshyadav M Syncfusion Team February 13, 2019 01:27 PM UTC

Hi Amro, 

Please share snapshot of the reported issue "Vertical alignment of text is always ignored". Since we have doubt whether this issue is reproduced for individual textbox or tablix cell item. 

Regards, 
Mageshyadav.M 

AO Amro Osama February 13, 2019 01:37 PM UTC

I guess it happens with both,
But the on I had was in the header, so itsi a single text box.

I don't have access to my work pc now, so i can't send you a screenshot.

MM Mageshyadav M Syncfusion Team February 14, 2019 11:08 AM UTC

Hi Amro, 

We don’t provide vertical alignment support for textbox report item since we face compatibility issue and content overlay issue with different browser. Hence we have considered the vertical alignment support as an limitation in Report Viewer and updated this information in below help documentation, 

Regards, 
Mageshyadav.M 

AO Amro Osama February 17, 2019 06:12 AM UTC

Thanks for the clarification,

But this also happens with the ReportWriter when exporting to PDF,
Actually I'm not using the Report Viewer.

MM Mageshyadav M Syncfusion Team February 18, 2019 11:45 AM UTC

Hi Amro, 

Currently, we don't provide vertical alignment support for textbox report item in ReportWriter also when exporting to PDF. 

Regards, 
Mageshyadav.M 

AA ammar alazem February 1, 2021 12:25 AM UTC

Hi,
regarding the problem about Arabic text reverse rendering when exported to PDF ..Is it fixed??
because I have the same problem.. I tried different methods with no avail.

PS: I'm generating PDF from rdl report like this : https://help.syncfusion.com/aspnet/reportwriter/getting-started

best regards,

MS Muthuramana Sankaranarayanan Syncfusion Team February 1, 2021 12:12 PM UTC

Hi ammar , 

We have worked on with fixing the reverse text rendering with PDF export. 

It would be helpful for us to check the reported issue if you are able to share the issue reproducible report along with the expected and actual output snaps. 

Apart from the above we would like to inform you that the reporting components are separated from our Syncfusion Essential Studio and we have introduced Bold Reports from Syncfusion. Based on this migration, we will not have any further feature updates with Syncfusion Essential Studio reporting products from now onwards. So, you need to consider migrating the reporting components with Bold Reports libraries with changes in namespace and declarations for getting new feature updates. 

Note: 
You can use your existing Essential Studio license to get our Report Viewer SDK from Bold Reports. Please find the details below, 

1. You have to login with Bold Reports using Syncfusion account,

1.  Once you have logged in Bold Reports, if you are having eligible license to access of Report Viewer SDK then you will be able to get the Report Viewer SDK from downloads.

Note: If you are having any problem to get the access of Report Viewer SDK with Bold Reports then you must contact sales team to provide more details about your license and direct you to get the Report Viewer SDK in Bold Reports. 

1. We have released Bold Reports with licensing, So, additionally you must register the license key in the startup of your application as explained in below documentation,

Regards, 
Muthu Ramana S 

AA ammar alazem February 1, 2021 03:45 PM UTC

Hi Muthuramana,

Thank you for your response. I'm attaching a compressed file containing the .rdl file with simple Arabic text box and the resulted rendering in the pdf file.
You can see that the characters are separated and reversed not like how it appears in the designer or in the report previewer.
Thank you again for advise about upgrading to Bold Report.. I will start upgrading my project to utilize Bold SDK, but I will appreciate your help regarding the current situation.

PS: Syncfusion version : 18.4460.0.39

Best regards,

Attachment: arabic_reverse_rendering_72012061.rar

MS Muthuramana Sankaranarayanan Syncfusion Team February 2, 2021 01:12 PM UTC

Hi Ammar, 

Thanks for sharing the details with us. We were able to reproduce the issue in Syncfusion Report Writer.  

However this issue is fixed with our Bold Report Writer. As we do not have auto detection for the text direction while exporting the report, we suggest you to set the text direction of the text box to “Right to left” as like shown in below snap and use our Bold Report Writer to get this issue resolved at your end. 

Exported PDF with Bold Report Writer: 

Hence please consider to migrate to Bold Reports and follow the above steps to get the reported issue resolved at your end. 

Regards, 
Muthu Ramana S 

AA ammar alazem February 2, 2021 09:24 PM UTC

Hi Muthuramana

Thank you very much for your help.. I migrated to Bold Reports and everything now working as expected

best regards,

MS Muthuramana Sankaranarayanan Syncfusion Team February 3, 2021 03:37 AM UTC

Hi Amar, 

Thanks for your update. 

We are glad to hear that the reported issue is resolved at your end after migrating to Bold Reports. 

Regards, 
Muthu Ramana S 

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon