We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

GridControl.ActiveGridView is null

Hello,

I encounter the next error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. 
The stack trace: 
   at Syncfusion.GridExcelConverter.GridExcelConverterControl.GridCellToExcel(GridModel grid, Int32 iRow, Int32 iColumn, IRange range)
   at Syncfusion.GridExcelConverter.GridExcelConverterControl.GridToExcel(GridModel grid, IWorksheet sheet, ConverterOptions options)

After investigations, I've saw that ActiveGridView property is null.
We construct the model for exporting in the next way:
            GridControl gridValues;
            var s = new MemoryStream();      
            gridValues.SaveBinary(s); // public void SaveBinary(Stream s); => Assembly Syncfusion.Grid.Windows, Version=16.2451.0.41
            s.Seek(0, SeekOrigin.Begin);
            var gridTemp = new CustomGridControl(GridModel.LoadBinary(s)); // public class CustomGridControl : Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.Grid.GridControl
// gridTemp.ActiveGridView  is null after this step and crashes the excel export.
            s.Close();
... => some transformations/aggregations and return gridTemp 

As a mention, the ActiveGridView have the next attribute: [DesignerSerializationVisibility(DesignerSerializationVisibility.Hidden)] .
I have changed the version of libraries some time ago, and right now i have all syncfusion dll's at version 16.2451.0.41 .

Can you please tell me how to proceed and set properly this property ?

Have a good day,
Mihai

5 Replies

AA Arulraj A Syncfusion Team November 20, 2018 06:49 AM UTC

Hi Mihaivladut, 

Thanks for using Syncfusion product. 

We can reproduce your reported scenario. By default, GridControl.ActiveGridView initialized when you add the GridControl inside any control to display. So, If you want to export the custom grid without displaying, you could add that control inside of any control to initialize the ActiveGridView. Please refer the following code example, 

C# 
Panel p = new Panel(); 
var s = new MemoryStream(); 
gridControl1.SaveBinary(s); 
s.Seek(0, SeekOrigin.Begin); 
var grid = new CustomGrid(GridModel.LoadBinary(s)); 
p.Controls.Add(grid); 
s.Close(); 

Let us know whether this helps also if you need any further assistance on this. 

Regards, 
Arulraj A 

MS Mihaivladut STAN November 20, 2018 10:05 AM UTC

Hello Arulraj,

Thank you for your promptitude.
Your indication and sample are very helpful, however i need to add headers to the excel export.

My application has a syncfusion grid with nested headers. I would like to know how to export the headers to excel. Please  see the attachment.

In the first sheet, is how i would like to be my export. With your code is almost good(without headers).
In the second sheet, i adapted your sample with desired headers.

Have a good day,
Mihai

MS Mihaivladut STAN November 20, 2018 10:10 AM UTC

And the attachment.

Attachment: export_sample_6f7f9574.zip

AA Arulraj A Syncfusion Team November 21, 2018 06:38 AM UTC

Hi Mihai, 

Thanks for your update. 

To export the grid with headers, you could use the ConverterOptions.ColumnHeaders option. Please refer the below code example and the UG link, 

C# 
//Converter to export the contents of the Grid to Excel. 
GridExcelConverterControl excelConverter = new GridExcelConverterControl(); 

//Set converter options to export the Grid with Row Headers and Column Headers 
excelConverter.GridToExcel(this.gridControl1.Model, "SampleExcel.xlsx", ConverterOptions.ColumnHeaders | ConverterOptions.RowHeaders); 

Let us know whether this helps also if you need any further assistance on this. 

Arulraj A 

MS Mihaivladut STAN November 21, 2018 09:22 AM UTC

Hi Arulraj,
Thank you for your help.

I wish you all the best,
Mihai

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon