We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

Edit Control is slow with large files

Hi, I''ve loaded a large (1.4M) text file into the edit control (v2.0.5.0) and it runs so slow to be unusable. When you try to scroll down it stops for seconds. You can test this by adding an edit control to a windows form and using the file load menu option. Is there any way of speeding this up? I noticed that someone else in the message board is complaining as well. Thanks

5 Replies

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team May 11, 2004 06:30 PM UTC

Hi Chris As per an earlier posting we are working on Essential Edit and this issue has been given a lot of importance. You will see significant improvements in this area and we will update you as more information becomes available. We appreciate your continued support for Syncfusion. Regards Arun

CR Christian Rattat May 11, 2005 09:45 AM UTC

Hi, I got the same problem with the EditControl in Version 3.0.1.0. I just added a text file of 450kb size and when I scroll down it takes at least a second per row to scroll. I just took an edit control, put it on a form and ran. Then I loaded the text file, which does not contain any special characters. I also got a very slow scrolling when using the syncfusion tree view (also 3.0.1.0). I took the load on demand demo, turned of filling the right view, expanded windows folder and other folders. When I scroll downwards, its very slow. When I scroll up, the tree does not update unless I stop pressing the up arrow key. During all scrolling, the computer (1.6Ghz mobile Pentium HP Notebook, Windows XP Prof.) is 100% busy. Do you have any solutions for these problems? We are a regular customer of SF and find these controls just unusable. Regards, Christian >Hi Chris > >As per an earlier posting we are working on Essential Edit and this issue has been given a lot of importance. You will see significant improvements in this area and we will update you as more information becomes available. > >We appreciate your continued support for Syncfusion. > >Regards >Arun >

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team May 12, 2005 01:49 PM UTC

Hi Christian, The inability to handle large files was a shortcoming in the v2.1 (and earlier versions) of Edit. However, in v3.0 (and later versions) the Edit has been rewritten with improved architecture and extensibility. The older Edit has been renamed as Edit Legacy in v3.0. Note that in v3.0, if you are using Edit Legacy then understandably the large file handling performance is poor. However, the new Edit handles the large files very well, and is one of the fastest in terms of load time performance. It loads a 28MB in about a second with outlining, wordwrap and syntax highlighting(which is faster than VS.NET editor or any of our competitor''s products). Please refer to the sample FileHandlingDemo in the directory ...\Syncfusion\Essential Studio\3.0.1.0\Windows\Edit.Windows\Samples\FileHandlingDemo that illustrates the same. If you still continue to experience this problem, please create a Direct-Trac incident and send us the text file that you are trying to load. We will then investigate this issue here and get back to you. Also, note that our latest version v3.2.1.0 is available for download. Please upgrade to v3.2.1.0 from your Direct-Trac account and let me know if you need further assistance. Regards, Guru Patwal Syncfusion, Inc.

CR Christian Rattat May 18, 2005 07:20 AM UTC

Hi Guru, you were right. I haven''t seen that the legacy version is in the toolbox instead of the latest version. With the new version the performance is much better. Thanks! Christian >Hi Christian, > >The inability to handle large files was a shortcoming in the v2.1 (and earlier versions) of Edit. However, in v3.0 (and later versions) the Edit has been rewritten with improved architecture and extensibility. The older Edit has been renamed as Edit Legacy in v3.0. Note that in v3.0, if you are using Edit Legacy then understandably the large file handling performance is poor. However, the new Edit handles the large files very well, and is one of the fastest in terms of load time performance. It loads a 28MB in about a second with outlining, wordwrap and syntax highlighting(which is faster than VS.NET editor or any of our competitor''s products). Please refer to the sample FileHandlingDemo in the directory ...\Syncfusion\Essential Studio\3.0.1.0\Windows\Edit.Windows\Samples\FileHandlingDemo that illustrates the same. > >If you still continue to experience this problem, please create a Direct-Trac incident and send us the text file that you are trying to load. We will then investigate this issue here and get back to you. > >Also, note that our latest version v3.2.1.0 is available for download. Please upgrade to v3.2.1.0 from your Direct-Trac account and let me know if you need further assistance. > >Regards, >Guru Patwal >Syncfusion, Inc.

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team May 18, 2005 02:15 PM UTC

Hi Christian, Thanks for the update. We are glad that this issue is resolved. Let me know if you need any other information. Thanks for choosing Syncfusion products. Regards, Guru Patwal Syncfusion, Inc.

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon