We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

DocIO - Table Cell Horizontal Merge, Table Preferred Width & Footnotes

Hi,

Evaluating DocIO and need some guidance.

1. Creating a table where I add a row and a cell as a Header. Now subsequent rows can have more than one cell but I don’t know this until I process that row’s data. My question is how can I do a horizontal merge of the header row (first row)? Requirement is that the first row spans across subsequent row's cells.

2. In Word there is a Table Preferred Width attribute that you can set to 100%. Is there a Preferred Width in DocIO? Need to keep all tables within the document the same width regardless of content

3. Is there a way to find the Page Number a table resides on? If not is there a workaround?

4. I have a number of paragraphs 1 to n on a page. Paragraph 1 has a Footnote.  I need to apply the same footnote marker to subsequent paragraphs without having it listed more than once at the bottom of the page. Any suggestions?

5. If a paragraph has more than one Footnote, why are they not separated by a comma?

An unrelated question, how can I search a specific forum? For example I went to search for Tables and only had DocIO selected but the result was across all components.

Thanks for the help!

3 Replies

RH Ramanan  Hariharasubramanian Syncfusion Team September 22, 2017 05:50 PM UTC

Hi A,

Thank you for contacting Syncfusion support.

Query 
Solution 
Regarding - how can I do a horizontal merge of the header row (first row)? Requirement is that the first row spans across subsequent row's cells 
Based on your given details we suspect, your requirement is performing the horizontal and vertical merge for the header row.

So, kindly refer the following UG link to know working with horizontal and vertical merge for head row.

UG link:

https://help.syncfusion.com/file-formats/docio/working-with-tables#merging-cells-vertically-and-horizontally

Regarding - Is there a Preferred Width in DocIO? Need to keep all tables within the document the same width regardless of content 
Currently, there is no direct API to set preferred width of the tables in a Word document. But, you can achieve through an workaround i.e., by setting same value for Width property for all the tables in the document. 

Regarding - Is there a way to find the Page Number a table resides on? If not is there a workaround 
The Word document is a flow document in which contents will not be preserved page by page; instead the contents will be preserved sequentially section by section. Each section may extend to various pages based on its contents like table, text, images etc.

Word viewer/editor renders the contents of the Word document page by page dynamically when opened for viewing or editing and this page wise rendered information will not be preserved in the document level as per the Word file format specification.

Whereas Essential DocIO is a non-UI component that provides a full-fledged document object model to manipulate the Word document contents. Hence currently it is not feasible to get contents page by page from Word document using DocIO. So, it is not
feasible to find the page number of tables in which it resides using DocIO. 
Regarding - to apply the same footnote marker to subsequent paragraphs without having it listed more than once 
In Microsoft Word, your requirement can be achieved with help of cross reference of footnotes for subsequent paragraphs. Unfortunately, DocIO provide support for cross referencing bookmark alone. Currently there is no other possibility to achieve the same footnote marker to subsequent paragraphs. 
Regarding - If a paragraph has more than one Footnote, why are they not separated by a comma? 
Yes, footnotes are not separator by comma when a paragraph has more than one footnote. But DocIO provides a feature to add a separator for footnotes and endnotes. Please refer the code example to add footnotes separator in our UG documentation link. 
Regarding how can I search a specific forum? 
We have provided search option in following ways 
  1. Common Search – you can search in any where
  2. Platform based search.
  1. Also, provide filter option based on the control in this page.
Currently, we didn’t provide option to search based on control specific. We will consider your request and will improve our forum search has control specific. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,
Ramanan H

A A September 23, 2017 10:16 AM UTC

Thanks Ramanan, for the responses to my questions. With the exception of question 3 (thought there may have been some type of workaround) we'll need to consider these limitation in our evaluation. 

Also noted an issue with converting Word to PDF.  I have a table with many rows that span across pages. The first row is designated as a Row Header so that when the table breaks across pages the Header row is included. Now when that  Header row contains a cell that contains a paragraph with Foot notes, those foot notes are not rendered with the Header row on the subsequent pages. Oddly, the foot note  separator is rendered.

Thanks again for your help.

DB Dilli Babu Nandha Gopal Syncfusion Team September 25, 2017 12:54 PM UTC

Hi A,

A support incident to track the status of your query has been created under your account. Please log on to our support website to check for further updates,

https://www.syncfusion.com/account/login

Please let us know if you need further clarifications regarding this.

Regards,
Dilli babu 

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon