We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

Connection to Hive Database - Help

Hello, I have installed a trial version of the Syncfusion Big data platform on my PC.   One of business intelligence programs allows connection to a Hive Database.  I would like to test this by connecting to the sample Customers hive database.

When I click the Hive connection, I am asked for the following connection details :

Hostame
Port
Database

Username
Password

my test host appears to be 'localhost' would this be correct?

There  is also a section in the connection details called Advanced where it is asking for a 'name' and a 'value' .. would these be query parameters?

Many thanks for your help.

6 Replies

AT Aravindraja Thinakaran Syncfusion Team July 24, 2017 12:29 PM UTC

Hi Tim, 

Please follow the below details to create Hive Connection in your intelligence program/application. 
Connection Details for connecting with Hive Database created using Syncfusion Big Data Studio 
Host/IP: localhost 
Port Number: 10000 (Hive Server2 port) 
Database Name: default (You can specify the name of database which you want to connect if you created any other data bases) 
Username and Password: There is no username and password needs to create connection with localhost’s database details. 
my test host appears to be 'localhost' would this be correct? 
Yes, it is correct.  
There is also a section in the connection details called Advanced where it is asking for a 'name' and a 'value' .. would these be query parameters? 
We couldn’t get what described as Advanced option with your update.  

Can you please update which intelligence program/application used for connecting the hive database? 

Note:  
Since Hive Thrift Server binds with localhost in Big Data Studio. You could not access the localhost hive connection from any other client machine. You can achieve this in production cluster that can be created using Syncfusion Cluster Manager. 

Thanks, 
Aravindraja T 

TM Tim Maher July 24, 2017 01:24 PM UTC

Hi,   We are using QlikSense as our BI Platform which comes with a Hive Connector

AT Aravindraja Thinakaran Syncfusion Team July 26, 2017 03:46 AM UTC

Hi Tim, 

We have checked QlikSense application, there it has option to connect secured Hive Data Source only (typically by Kerberos or Custom authentication).  
So username and password are mandatory to connect your BI tool to Hive service. But in our Big Data Studio, we have the service hosted in “localhost” and open as it is for development purpose. 

The Kerberos authentication option is only available in our production cluster environment. But as you are trying to achieve this in Big Data Studio itself, we have another option to enable custom authentication, we are working on this and update you the details on or before 26th July, 2017. 

Note: 
Regarding advance option, you can add other properties such as initFile, hive_conf_list for create hive connection using Advanced option. You can add the property name in Name column and value of the property in volume column.  
Example: 
Property Name and description 
Name 
Value 
initFile -  the path of init script file. This script file is written with SQL statements which will be executed automatically after connection.  
initFile 
<File Location> 

Thanks, 
Aravindraja T 

AT Aravindraja Thinakaran Syncfusion Team July 26, 2017 12:49 PM UTC

Hi Tim, 

As QlikSense requires username and password to connect hive server data source. We have provided to enable custom authentication for hive service. 
Please follow the below steps, 

Step1: Stop all the services in Local Service Manager. 
Step2: Download and replace the SyncfusionHiveAuthenticator.jar into the location <Install Drive>:\Syncfusion\BigData\<Install Version>\BigDataSDK\SDK\Hive\lib\  
Step3: Download and replace the hive-site.xml into the location <Install Drive>:\Syncfusion\BigData\<Install Version>\BigDataSDK\SDK\Hive\conf\ 
Step4: Change the below property values in the hive-site.xml  as your likes . 
  1. hive.server2.authentication.syncfusion.username
  2. hive.server2.authentication.syncfusion.password

You should use the same Username and password in Qlik Sense application for connecting with localhost’s Hive server. 
Step5: After changing all the values, start the Hadoop services from service manager.  

Step6: Once hive server started, you can connect with localhost’s hive server in your application. For connection use the following values. 
  1. Host Name – localhost
  2. Port – 10000
  3. Database – default  (You can use other database name as you created)
  4. User name and Password – Use the same values which updated in hive-site.xml file.

Note: There is no need for advanced options in this scenario of hive server connection. 

Thanks, 
Aravindraja T 

TM Tim Maher July 26, 2017 02:33 PM UTC

Thank you so much for your help!

Will try this and get back to you.

Tim

AT Aravindraja Thinakaran Syncfusion Team July 27, 2017 11:30 AM UTC

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the update. Please try and let us know if you need any assistance.

Thanks,
Aravindraja T

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon