We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

DocToPdfConverter for .Net core

Is DocToPdfConverter for .net core available now?

13 Replies

VR Vijay Ramachandran Syncfusion Team July 24, 2017 06:06 AM UTC

Hi Nirush,

Thank you for contacting Syncfusion support.

Essential DocIO uses the System.Drawing and GDI functionality for Word to PDF conversion. Due to the unavailability of this functionality in ASP.NET Core platform, currently Essential DocIO does not have support for Word to PDF conversion in ASP.NET Core. We have already logged this as a feature request in our database. We will implement this feature in any of our upcoming releases.

Alternatively, service can be used to convert Word document as PDF and then that service can be referred in the ASP.NET Core application.

We have created a sample to perform Word to PDF conversion using ASP.NET Web API as service with ASP.NET Core application.

Steps to follow:

1. Run the ASP.NET Web API service application.
   2. Run the ASP.NET Core Web application which referring the service link on it.

Please refer our UG documentation to know about ASP.NET application installation and configuration of ASP.NET Core application with File Format components.

Let us know if you have any concern.

Regards,
Vijay R

ND Nirushini Durairaja July 24, 2017 10:37 AM UTC

Hi, 
Thank you for the reply. I used the Web API to generate the PDF. It was successful. But it is having something (Created by Syncfusion) on its header.
How to remove that? I have attached the image.

Thanks,

Nirushini

SY Sethumanikkam Yogendran Syncfusion Team July 25, 2017 12:12 PM UTC

Hi Nirushini,

Thank you for your update.

We are unable to reproduce the mentioned “it is having something (Created by Syncfusion) on its header” case while running the previously provided sample from our end. We have prepared the video demonstration for your reference.
Video demo link

We suspect that, you have used our online sample link or service of it for Word to PDF conversion in which only we have used code for the mentioned header text (Created by Syncfusion) for demo purpose. If so, kindly use the previously provided sample (below links) from our end to resolve the mentioned case.

Web API service application:
http://www.syncfusion.com/downloads/support/forum/131672/ze/DocIO_AspNetWebApi_ServiceApplication5688562801608424592.zip

Web Application:
http://www.syncfusion.com/downloads/support/forum/131672/ze/DocIO_AspNetCore_WebApplication2966771471846317012-474454954.zip

If you’re still facing any difficulties, then kindly provide us sample or modified sample along with input template, and product version of Essential Studio which will helpful to reproduce the issue at our end and to provide you the appropriate solution at the earliest.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Regards,
Sethumanikkam.Y

PV Pieter van Kampen replied to Nirushini Durairaja August 1, 2017 08:10 AM UTC

Vijay, 

thank you for this answer, I subscribed to this post, and hope to get a solution soon.

System.Drawing is not thread safe, so I hope your engineers will use a more modern library in the conversion to avoid any issues on ASP.NET Core.

Pieter

PV Pieter van Kampen August 1, 2017 09:37 AM UTC

Vijay,

looking to the sample, the Web Api is not really converting the document from Asp.net core, but it is recreating a new document and returning that after conversion. I only have experience with asp.net Core api, not with the web api. Do you think it is possible to have a sample web api that receives the word document and returns that as PDF?

That would really help me, thanks

Pieter

SY Sethumanikkam Yogendran Syncfusion Team August 2, 2017 10:59 AM UTC

Hi Pieter,

Please find the details from below table.

Query 
Details 
No. As mentioned in our earlier update, Essential DocIO uses the System.Drawing and GDI functionality for Word to PDF conversion. Since the unavailability of this functionality in ASP.NET Core, direct Word to PDF conversion in ASP.NET Core using Essential DocIO is not yet implemented. 
System.Drawing is not thread safe, so I hope your engineers will use a more modern library in the conversion to avoid any issues on ASP.NET Core. 
Currently Essential DocIO uses the System.Drawing functionality in Word to PDF conversion alone. We do have a plan to analyze and do implementation on this feature based on the availability of above mentioned functionality in ASP.NET Core. At this moment, we cannot provide any concrete timeline for this feature. We will let you know once this feature has been implemented. 
Do you think it is possible to have a sample web api that receives the word document and returns that as PDF? 
We have prepared a sample to meet your requirement and in this sample, we have done the following things.

1. Browsed the Word document using file type in form.
     2. Performed Mail merge in the input Word document.
     3. Sent input Word document as stream to Web API (service) application.
     4. In service side, gets stream (input document), converted it into PDF, and return the response with resultant PDF.
     5. In core side, received the PDF stream and return as PDF file.

Please find the samples which illustrates the same from below link, and let us know if this helps you.
ASP.NET Core sample application:
http://www.syncfusion.com/downloads/support/forum/131672/ze/Sample-AspNetCore-F131672-250843909.zip

ASP.NET Web API (service) application:
http://www.syncfusion.com/downloads/support/forum/131672/ze/Sample-ServiceWebAPI-F131672118373474.zip

Regards,
Sethumanikkam.Y

PV Pieter van Kampen August 2, 2017 12:54 PM UTC

SThank you so much, this is really helpful. I suggest to remove the template.doc from the service, just for clarity. I tried this and it works great.

System.Drawing is planned for Core 2.1 (Q4), and looks like it will be made available on top of 2.0 as well. 

May I suggest to consider using ImageSharp or SkiaSharp in stead of System.Drawing, as it would make your PDF conversion immediately available on all supported platforms, including Xamarin.

See https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/dotnet/2017/01/19/net-core-image-processing/

SY Sethumanikkam Yogendran Syncfusion Team August 3, 2017 10:20 AM UTC

Hi Pieter,

We consider your valuable feedbacks and we will analyze the feasibility of these image processing libraries for our requirement.

We do have a plan to analyze and do implementation on this feature in ASP.NET Core. At this moment, we cannot provide any concrete timeline for this feature. We will let you know once this feature has been implemented.

Regards,
Sethumanikkam.Y

PV Pieter van Kampen August 8, 2017 09:17 AM UTC

Hi, I have started to use the converter api from the sample, but I have an issue I hope you can help with.

Most converts well, but one of the charts only converts partially. I have attached the original, and the pdf converted doc. The original document was created with DocIo chart. I removed part of the document in Word.

Can you please have a look?

Attachment: ChartSample_ba04c777.zip

SY Sethumanikkam Yogendran Syncfusion Team August 10, 2017 11:02 AM UTC

Hi Pieter,

A support incident to track the status of your query has been created under your account. Please log on to our support website to check for further updates,

https://www.syncfusion.com/account/login

Regards,
Sethumanikkam.Y

DM Dmitry August 11, 2017 07:23 AM UTC

Yes! ImageSharp is very powerful graphics library in .Net Core. I use it almost 1 year and very happy. It is better than old System.Drawing.

SY Sethumanikkam Yogendran Syncfusion Team August 14, 2017 04:26 AM UTC

Hi Dmitry,

We consider your valuable feedbacks and currently we are analyzing the feasibility of image processing libraries (like ImageSharp) for our requirement.

We do have a plan to analyze and do implementation on this feature in ASP.NET Core. At this moment, we cannot provide any concrete timeline for this feature. We will let you know once this feature has been implemented.

Regards,
Sethumanikkam.Y

DB Dilli Babu Nandha Gopal Syncfusion Team February 22, 2018 03:32 PM UTC

Hi Dmitry, 

We are glad to announce that Word to PDF conversion in ASP.NET Core platform is supported now. Our Essential Studio 2018 Volume 1 Release  v16.1.0.24  is rolled out and is available for download under the following link. 

For more information, please refer the below KB: 

We thank you for your support and appreciate your patience in waiting for this release. Please get in touch with us if you would require any further assistance. 

Regards, 
Dilli babu. 

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon