We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

multiple series chart

I am confused as to how to do a column chart with multiple series.    Working with the following data how do I create the chart shown below when the data is generated at run time vs at design time?  

here is the data for 1st query

and the same data pivoted

And what i am trying to accomplish

I can pull data from either of the above SPROCS but not sure how to do the multiple series  
when i usually add the series like this

Controller code
AverageAnswerByGroupAndDemographic abgd = new AverageAnswerByGroupAndDemographic();
abgd.Demographic = Demographic;
abgd.SurveyNumber = SurveyNumber;
abgd.GroupNumber = 1;
List<AverageDemographicGroupAnswer_Result> avg1 = abgd.AverageGroupScoresByDemographic();
ViewBag.Chart1Data = avg1;

and in the view 
@(Html.EJ().Chart("chartContainer")

// ...

.Series(sr =>
{
  sr.DataSource(ViewBag.Chart1Data)
  .XName("ResponseText").YName("Total")
  .Add();

})

10 Replies

DD Dharanidharan Dharmasivam Syncfusion Team July 24, 2017 12:28 PM UTC

Hi Miranda, 

Thanks for contacting Syncfusion support. 

We have analyzed your query. We have prepared a sample, in which we have four series as like in the attached screen shot. Kindly find the code snippet below to achieve this requirement. 

ASP.NET MVC: 

Controller: 

List<ChartData> data = new List<ChartData>(); 
            data.Add(new ChartData("Big Text Bank encourages and supports a healthy", 4,4,4.5,4.5)); 
            data.Add(new ChartData("I consider Big Tex Bank to be diverse, refelcting", 4,4.67,4.5,4)); 
            data.Add(new ChartData("I look forward to coming to work every day", 5,4,4.5,4.33)); 
            data.Add(new ChartData("I would refer a friend to work here", 5,4.67,4.5,4.67)); 
            ViewBag.dataSource = data; 

View page: 

@(Html.EJ().Chart("container") 
.Series(sr => 
        { 
            sr.DataSource(ViewBag.dataSource).XName("Xvalue").YName("YValue1").Add(); 
            sr.DataSource(ViewBag.dataSource).XName("Xvalue").YName("YValue2").Add(); 
            sr.DataSource(ViewBag.dataSource).XName("Xvalue").YName("YValue3").Add(); 
            sr.DataSource(ViewBag.dataSource).XName("Xvalue").YName("YValue4").Add(); 
        }) 
        //... 
) 

Here, you need to map the XName and YName to other series also, as you mapped to first series, so that chart will be rendered with respect to your requirement. 

Screenshot: 

Sample for reference can be find from below link. 

If you are using stored procedure, then you can achieve your requirement using the below code snippet. 

Stored procedure: 

CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[ChartData] 

AS 
BEGIN 
SET NOCOUNT ON; 

SELECT * FROM Orders  

END         

RETURN 0         

View page: 

@(Html.EJ().Chart("container") 
    .Load("chartLoad") 
) 

function chartLoad(sender) { 
        $.ajax({ 
            type: "POST", 
            url: '@Url.Action("DataSource", "Home")', 
            async: false, 
            success: function (data) { 
                sender.model.series = [];  
                //Bind the data source to chart as above with respect to your series length 
            } 
        }); 
    } 

Controller: 

public ActionResult DataSource(DataManager dm) 
        { 
            DataOperations operation = new DataOperations(); 
            DataTable dt = new DataTable("Order"); 
            string constring = ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings["NORTHWNDConnectionString"].ConnectionString; 
            using (SqlConnection con = new SqlConnection(constring)) 
            { 
                using (SqlCommand cmd = new SqlCommand("ChartData", con)) 
                { 
                    con.Open(); 
                    SqlDataReader dr = cmd.ExecuteReader(); 
                    // Load into the dataTable 
                    dt.Load(dr);  
                    dr.Close(); 
                    con.Close(); 
                } 
            } 
            //Convert the dataTable into list 
            List<EditableOrder> resList = new List<EditableOrder>(); 
            //... 
            return Json(new { result = resList }, JsonRequestBehavior.AllowGet); 
        } 

Kindly revert us, if you have any concern. 

Thanks, 
Dharani. 

MJ Miranda Johnson July 24, 2017 08:31 PM UTC

Your example assumes I know the data at build time.  I don't know the data.    

Here is what I have in the controller

public ActionResult DemographicsReport(int SurveyNumber, int Demographic, SurveyDefinition survey)

{

/.. 

//Section 1: Attitudes & Perceptions   ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ViewBag.Group1Text = survey.GetGroupText(1);

ViewBag.Group1Data = survey.GetPivotedDemographics(1, SurveyNumber, Demographic);

List<ChartData> data  = new List<ChartData>();

data.Add(new ChartData(survey.GetPivotedDemographics(1, SurveyNumber, Demographic)));

ViewBag.Group1DataChart = data;

/..

return View();

}

[Serializable]

public class ChartData

{

private dynamic dynamic;

public ChartData(string xval, double yvalue, double yvalue2, double? yvalue3, double? yvalue4, double? yvalue5, double? yvalue6, double? yvalue7, double? yvalue8, double? yvalue9, double? yvalue10)

{

this.Xvalue = xval;

this.YValue1 = yvalue;

this.YValue2 = yvalue2;

this.YValue3 = yvalue3;

this.YValue4 = yvalue4;

this.YValue5 = yvalue5;

this.YValue6 = yvalue6;

this.YValue7 = yvalue7;

this.YValue8 = yvalue8;

this.YValue9 = yvalue9;

this.YValue10 = yvalue10;

}

public ChartData(dynamic dynamic)

{

this.dynamic = dynamic;

}

public string Xvalue { get; set; }

public double YValue1 { get; set; }

public double YValue2 { get; set; }

public double? YValue3 { get; set; }

public double? YValue4 { get; set; }

public double? YValue5 { get; set; }

public double? YValue6 { get; set; }

public double? YValue7 { get; set; }

public double? YValue8 { get; set; }

public double? YValue9 { get; set; }

public double? YValue10 { get; set; }

}

and in the view 

<div class="row">

<div class="col-xs-12 col-sm-12 col-md-12 text-center">

.PrimaryYAxis(px => px.Range(ra => ra.Max(5.5).Min(0).Interval(.5)).Title(tl => tl.Text("Average Answer").Font(ft => ft.FontWeight(ChartFontWeight.Bold))))

//.PrimaryXAxis(pr => pr.Title(tl => tl.Text("Question").Font(ft => ft.FontWeight(ChartFontWeight.Bold))))

.CommonSeriesOptions(cr => cr.Type(SeriesType.Column).EnableAnimation(true).Marker(mr => mr.DataLabel(dt => dt.Visible(true).TextPosition(TextPosition.Top).Font(fn => fn.Color("black").Size("16px").FontWeight(ChartFontWeight.Bold)))))

.Series(sr =>

{

sr.DataSource(ViewBag.Group1DataChart).XName("Xvalue").YName("YValue1").Fill("blue").Add();

sr.DataSource(ViewBag.Group1DataChart).XName("Xvalue").YName("YValue2").Fill("yellow").Add();

sr.DataSource(ViewBag.Group1DataChart).XName("Xvalue").YName("YValue3").Fill("orange").Add();

sr.DataSource(ViewBag.Group1DataChart).XName("Xvalue").YName("YValue4").Fill("red").Add();

})

.IsResponsive(true)

.Legend(lg => lg.Visible(true).Position(LegendPosition.Top).Border(br => br.Width(1).Color("#CCCCCC")).ItemStyle(itm => itm.Width(13).Height(13).Border(br => br.Width(1).Color("#999999"))))

)

</div>

</div>

which returns the following HTML

<div class="row">

<div class="col-xs-12 col-sm-12 col-md-12 text-center">

<div id="chartContainer" data-role="ejchart" data-ej-series='[{"fill":"blue","dataSource":ej.isJSON([{"Xvalue":null,"YValue1":0,"YValue2":0,"YValue3":null,"YValue4":null,"YValue5":null,"YValue6":null,"YValue7":null,"YValue8":null,"YValue9":null,"YValue10":null}]),"xName":"Xvalue","yName":"YValue1"},{"fill":"yellow","dataSource":ej.isJSON([{"Xvalue":null,"YValue1":0,"YValue2":0,"YValue3":null,"YValue4":null,"YValue5":null,"YValue6":null,"YValue7":null,"YValue8":null,"YValue9":null,"YValue10":null}]),"xName":"Xvalue","yName":"YValue2"},{"fill":"orange","dataSource":ej.isJSON([{"Xvalue":null,"YValue1":0,"YValue2":0,"YValue3":null,"YValue4":null,"YValue5":null,"YValue6":null,"YValue7":null,"YValue8":null,"YValue9":null,"YValue10":null}]),"xName":"Xvalue","yName":"YValue3"},{"fill":"red","dataSource":ej.isJSON([{"Xvalue":null,"YValue1":0,"YValue2":0,"YValue3":null,"YValue4":null,"YValue5":null,"YValue6":null,"YValue7":null,"YValue8":null,"YValue9":null,"YValue10":null}]),"xName":"Xvalue","yName":"YValue4"}]' data-ej-commonseriesoptions-type='column' data-ej-commonseriesoptions-enableanimation='true' data-ej-commonseriesoptions-marker-datalabel-visible='true' data-ej-commonseriesoptions-marker-datalabel-font-color='black' data-ej-commonseriesoptions-marker-datalabel-font-size='16px' data-ej-commonseriesoptions-marker-datalabel-font-fontweight='bold' data-ej-primaryxaxis-labelintersectaction='none' data-ej-primaryyaxis-orientation='vertical' data-ej-primaryyaxis-labelintersectaction='none' data-ej-primaryyaxis-title-text='Average Answer' data-ej-primaryyaxis-title-font-fontweight='bold' data-ej-primaryyaxis-range-min='0' data-ej-primaryyaxis-range-max='5.5' data-ej-primaryyaxis-range-interval='0.5' data-ej-isresponsive='true' data-ej-enable3d='false' data-ej-legend-border-color='#CCCCCC' data-ej-legend-border-width='1' data-ej-legend-position='top' data-ej-legend-itemstyle-height='13' data-ej-legend-itemstyle-width='13' data-ej-legend-itemstyle-border-color='#999999' data-ej-legend-itemstyle-border-width='1' ></div>

</div>

</div>

DD Dharanidharan Dharmasivam Syncfusion Team July 26, 2017 01:10 PM UTC

Hi Miranda, 

Thanks for your patience. 

We have analyzed your query with the provided code snippet. We have prepared a sample in which we have obtained data from data base and then stored the data in DataSet. Then with respect to length of data, we have dynamically created list as depicted in the below code snippet. You can change this with respect to your scenario. 

ASP.NET MVC: 

string connectionString = null; 
            SqlDataAdapter adapter = new SqlDataAdapter(); 
            DataSet dataset = new DataSet(); 
            connectionString = @"Data Source=SYNCLAPN7430;Initial Catalog=chartDataSource;Integrated Security=True"; 
            SqlConnection con = new SqlConnection(connectionString); 
            con.Open(); 
            //Filter the data depend upon your requirement here 
            string command2 = "select * from chartData"; 
            SqlCommand cmd1 = new SqlCommand(command2, con); 
            adapter.SelectCommand = cmd1; 

//Stored the obtained data in dataset 
            adapter.Fill(dataset); 

//Depends upon the length of data,  stored the data in list 
           for (var i = 0; i < dataset.Tables[0].Rows.Count; i++) 
            { 
                string x1 = Convert.ToString(dataset.Tables[0].Rows[i].ItemArray[0]); 
                double y1 = Convert.ToDouble(dataset.Tables[0].Rows[i].ItemArray[1]); 
                double y2 = Convert.ToDouble(dataset.Tables[0].Rows[i].ItemArray[2]); 
                double y3 = Convert.ToDouble(dataset.Tables[0].Rows[i].ItemArray[3]); 
                double y4 = Convert.ToDouble(dataset.Tables[0].Rows[i].ItemArray[4]); 
                data.Add(new ChartData(x1, y1, y2, y3, y4)); 
            } 

//Returned data using viewbag to view page 
            ViewBag.dataSource = data; 

Here we have created data base with four data (you have n number of data in your case), but the list is created depends the filtered data length as highlighted in above code snippet. 

Screenshot from data base: 

Screenshot for chart: 

If you have any concerns, kindly revert us with any your data source, which will be helpful in further analysis and provide you the solution sooner. 

Thanks, 
Dharani. 

MJ Miranda Johnson July 26, 2017 06:46 PM UTC

Great!!  Thank You!!    I now have the chart being displayed properly except for the legend.   Is there anyway to pass that information from controller instead of having to write as shown below in the View?

.Series(sr => sr.Name("") .Add();  

BTW  I have all of my Data in a  DAL  (makes reuseable as this will be called 12 times in the controller)  and if anyone else wants to know how I made it work here is what I did

DAL

public DataSet PivotedGroupData(int GroupNumber, int SurveyNumber, int Demographic)

{

using (SqlConnection oConn = new SqlConnection(ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings["DefaultConnection"].ConnectionString))

{

using (SqlCommand oCmd = new SqlCommand())

{

DataSet ds = new DataSet();

oCmd.CommandText = "PivotedDemographicGroupAverage";

oCmd.CommandType = CommandType.StoredProcedure;

oCmd.Parameters.Add(new SqlParameter("@GroupID", GroupNumber));

oCmd.Parameters.Add(new SqlParameter("@Survey", SurveyNumber));

oCmd.Parameters.Add(new SqlParameter("@Demographic", Demographic));

oCmd.Connection = oConn;

oConn.Open();

SqlDataAdapter da = new SqlDataAdapter(oCmd);

da.Fill(ds);

return ds;

}

}

}

Controller

public ActionResult DemographicsReport(int SurveyNumber, int Demographic, SurveyDefinition survey)

{

\..

List<ChartData> data  = new List<ChartData>();

DataSet ds = survey.PivotedGroupData(1, SurveyNumber, Demographic);

for (var i=0; i < ds.Tables[0].Rows.Count;i++)

{

string x1 = Convert.ToString(ds.Tables[0].Rows[i].ItemArray[0]);

double y1 = Convert.ToDouble(ds.Tables[0].Rows[i].ItemArray[1]);

double y2 = Convert.ToDouble(ds.Tables[0].Rows[i].ItemArray[2]);

double y3 = Convert.ToDouble(ds.Tables[0].Rows[i].ItemArray[3]);

double y4 = Convert.ToDouble(ds.Tables[0].Rows[i].ItemArray[4]);

data.Add(new ChartData(x1,y1,y2,y3,y4));

}

ViewBag.Group1DataChart = data;

\..

return View();

}

MJ Miranda Johnson July 27, 2017 01:44 AM UTC

have been trying different things and decided to try the code below.   It did put the title on the legend but i was not able to see the columns for the chart.

view 

@{

int z = 0

string[] columnColors = new string[] { "#800080","#0000ff","#ffff00", "#ffa500","#ff0000","#c0c0c0","#d572fe","#d2b48c" ,"#000080", "#808000"};

string[] yvals = new string[] { "yvalue1", "yvalue2", "yvalue3", "yvalue4", "yvalue5", "yvalue6", "yvalue7", "yvalue8", "yvalue9", "yvalue10" };

}

.PrimaryYAxis(px => px.Range(ra => ra.Max(5.5).Min(0).Interval(.5)).Title(tl => tl.Text("Average Answer").Font(ft => ft.FontWeight(ChartFontWeight.Bold))))

//.PrimaryXAxis(pr => pr.Title(tl => tl.Text("Question").Font(ft => ft.FontWeight(ChartFontWeight.Bold))))

.CommonSeriesOptions(cr => cr.Type(SeriesType.Column).EnableAnimation(true).Marker(mr => mr.DataLabel(dt => dt.Visible(true).TextPosition(TextPosition.Top).Font(fn => fn.Color("black").Size("16px").FontWeight(ChartFontWeight.Bold)))))

.Series(sr =>

{

foreach(var rsp in ViewBag.ResponseList)

{

sr.DataSource(ViewBag.Group1DataChart).XName("Xvalue").YName(yvals[z]).Fill(columnColors[z]).Name(rsp.ResponseText).Add();

z ++;

}

})

.IsResponsive(true)

.Legend(lg => lg.Visible(true).Position(LegendPosition.Top).Border(br => br.Width(1).Color("#CCCCCC")).ItemStyle(itm => itm.Width(13).Height(13).Border(br => br.Width(1).Color("#999999"))))

)

I have attached the html source code perhaps you can see something I am not seeing.  

this is the view code that does work but doe not tell me column names in legend

.Series(sr =>

{

sr.DataSource(ViewBag.Group1DataChart).XName("Xvalue").YName("YValue2").Fill("blue").Add();

sr.DataSource(ViewBag.Group1DataChart).XName("Xvalue").YName("YValue2").Fill("yellow").Add();

sr.DataSource(ViewBag.Group1DataChart).XName("Xvalue").YName("YValue3").Fill("orange").Add();

sr.DataSource(ViewBag.Group1DataChart).XName("Xvalue").YName("YValue4").Fill("red").Add();

})

.IsResponsive(true)

)

Attachment: chartdata_82b052a3.zip

DD Dharanidharan Dharmasivam Syncfusion Team July 27, 2017 12:36 PM UTC

Hi Miranda, 

Thanks for your revert. 

We have analyzed your query. Kindly find the response for your queries below. 

Queries 
Response 
 Is there anyway to pass that information from controller instead of having to write as shown below in the View 
Yes, we can able to pass the series name from controller. We have prepared a sample, in which have passed series name from code behind and bind in the view page as depicted below. 

ASP.NET MVC: 

Controller Page: 

string[] seriesName = new string[] { "Less than 1 Year", "At least 1 year but less than 3 years", "At least 3 years but less than 5 years", "More than 5 years" }; 
ViewBag.ResponseList = seriesName; 

View Page: 

.Series(sr => 
                    { 
                          foreach (var rsp in ViewBag.ResponseList) { 
                                        sr.Name(ViewBag.ResponseList[z]).Add(); 
                                        //... 
                          } 
                    }) 
          //... 
) 

You can change this with respect to your requirement. But from your query 2, we suspect that, you have already achieved this requirement.  

It did put the title on the legend but i was not able to see the columns for the chart. 
From the provided code snippet, we found that you have mapped YName property with different variable, so chart is not rendered properly. Thus we suggest, to map the properties with the variable you have declared in code behind, so the chart is render properly.  

Chart doesn’t work: 

string[] yvals = new string[] { "yvalue1", "yvalue2", "yvalue3", "yvalue4", "yvalue5", "yvalue6", "yvalue7", "yvalue8", "yvalue9", "yvalue10" }; 

sr.DataSource(ViewBag.Group1DataChart).XName("Xvalue").YName(yvals[z]).Add(); 

Working chart code snippet: 

sr.DataSource(ViewBag.Group1DataChart).XName("Xvalue").YName("YValue1").Fill("blue").Add(); 

Find the modified code snippet below: 

string[] yvals = new string[] { "YValue1", "YValue2", "YValue3", "YValue4", "YValue5", "YValue6", "YValue7", "YValue8", "YValue9", "YValue10" }; 

sr.DataSource(ViewBag.dataSource).XName("Xvalue").YName(yvals[z]).Add(); 

Screenshot: 

Modified sample for reference can be find from below link. 

Kindly revert us, if you have any concerns.  

Thanks, 
Dharani. 

MJ Miranda Johnson July 27, 2017 02:21 PM UTC

Thank You!!

DD Dharanidharan Dharmasivam Syncfusion Team July 28, 2017 04:29 AM UTC

Hi Miranda, 

Thanks for your update. 

Kindly revert us, if you need further assistance. 

Dharani. 

MJ Miranda Johnson July 31, 2017 04:51 PM UTC

I have switched these to bar instead of column charts because some of the charts have as many as 10 series.

Once I did that and have all 11 charts loading, the legend is only showing on the very last chart for some reason.  I need to correct that.

Also, I need to have it so the series are entered from top down not from bottom up.  In this thread https://www.syncfusion.com/forums/130293/bar-chart-question you had told me how to reverse the dataSource.  Is there another way to do this as this report has 11 charts on it that I need reversed.   if it is not a simple solution I can change the order by in the SPROC

Attachment: files_9d8c0398.zip

DD Dharanidharan Dharmasivam Syncfusion Team August 1, 2017 01:35 PM UTC

Hi Miranda, 

Thanks for your update. 

We have analyzed your query. Kindly find the response for your queries below. 

Queries 
Response 
all 11 charts loading, the legend is only showing on the very last chart for some reason. 
From your code snippet we found that for all the charts you have specified same id(chartContainer), so the reported scenario occurs. To overcome this you need to specify the chart with unique id, so that legends will be visible to all the charts. 

I need to have it so the series are entered from top down not from bottom up.   
By default our bar chart will render with bottom up approach. However your requirement can be achieved by specifying isInversed property of axis to true, so that chart will render as per your expectation(top down). Find the code snippet below. 

ASP.NET MVC: 

@(Html.EJ().Chart("chartContainer1") 
     .PrimaryXAxis(pr => pr. IsInversed(true)) 
     //... 
) 

Screenshot: 

Thanks, 
Dharani. 

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon