We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

VS2015, MVC and MVC Classic

Hello,

I am posting on this forum because I am a bit lost with the features, variants and versions of your products.

I would like to use your controls for a MVC application, so I have installed ASP MVC. Everything is fine, the controls are awesome and the documentation is very great. But in order to be more productive and quickly setup a functional website to start customizing it I was looking for the T4 templates to scaffold my models for entity framework and razor (like in visual studio).

I have noticed that the T4 templates are only included in the product ASP MVC Classic, so I have uninstalled the ASP MVC to install the MVC Classic. So far so good, but I didn't find them. Then I saw there is an MVC extension where we can install VSIX in visual studio for that, so I downloaded it (version 14.1.0.41), but it seems to be only available for VS2013 and earlier.

So my questions are:
  • Is it really necessary to use ASP MVC Classic (I prefer ASP MVC) in order to speed up development using T4 templates, or there is also somewhere a scaffolding utility in ASP MVC or anything like that?
  • All the .tt templates I have downloaded are in the folder "sample creator", so i suppose it is not what I am looking for, especially since it doesn't show up in visual studio when I select "new project" , so is it an installation problem or I should simply skip ASP MVC Classic, reinstall ASP MVC and use "sample creator" to  create a sample based on my own models, and then reuse it in my main project?
If someone could drop me a link to the documentation I have missed or lead me to the good it would be great.

Many thanks,

3 Replies

PO Prince Oliver Syncfusion Team June 20, 2017 02:30 PM UTC

Hi Damien, 

Thank you for contacting Syncfusion support. 

Query 1: Then I saw there is an MVC extension where we can install VSIX in visual studio for that, so I downloaded it (version 14.1.0.41), but it seems to be only available for VS2013 and earlier.  

Response: We are providing Syncfusion ASP.NET MVC (Classic) extensions support only for VS2010, VS 2012 and VS2013. Since we have stopped the development for Syncfusion ASP.NET MVC Classic platform, we no longer providing the Syncfusion ASP.NET MVC Classic extensions support in VS2015 and VS2017.  

Query 2: Is it really necessary to use ASP MVC Classic (I prefer ASP MVC) in order to speed up development using T4 templates, or there is also somewhere a scaffolding utility in ASP MVC or anything like that? 

Response: We haven’t currently supported T4 templates or scaffolding utilities for ASP MVC, so we suggest you to use sample creator. We have considered the support for T4 templates as a feature request and it will available in any of our upcoming release. 

Query 3: All the .tt templates I have downloaded are in the folder "sample creator", so i suppose it is not what I am looking for, especially since it doesn't show up in visual studio when I select "new project" , so is it an installation problem or I should simply skip ASP MVC Classic, reinstall ASP MVC and use "sample creator" to  create a sample based on my own models, and then reuse it in my main project?  

Response: There is no problem with installation. The .tt template files which is available in the Sample Creator for Sample Creator utility and Syncfusion Project Templates.   

Yes. You can use reinstall the ASP.NET MVC platform to create samples based on the options selected from Sample Creator utility since there is no developments will going on ASP.NET MVC (Classic) platform.   

Regards, 
Prince 

DB Damien Boissat June 20, 2017 07:03 PM UTC

Hi Prince,

Thanks a lot for your responses, everything is clear now and I am going forward with the ASP MVC.

I have created a sample and it was very useful, so now I can manage the rest with my own T4 templates and it's going well.

Thanks again,

Regards,

Damien

PO Prince Oliver Syncfusion Team June 21, 2017 03:56 AM UTC

Hi Damien, 

Most Welcome. 

We are glad to help you. 

Regards, 
Prince 

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon